Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

Any draft pick higher than a 4th and i might be in the minority here but id rather see what  Shaq can do this year than Clowney (too many injuries). Lawson looking solid and motivated to me. Maybe im being a homer but im really curious to see how guys on the bills roster are gonna do this year. now if we send them players that are on the bubble anyway that would be ok but i think they asking for more than that.

5 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

Any draft pick higher than a 4th and i might be in the minority here but id rather see what  Shaq can do this year than Clowney (too many injuries). Lawson looking solid and motivated to me. Maybe im being a homer but im really curious to see how guys on the bills roster are gonna do this year. now if we send them players that are on the bubble anyway that would be ok but i think they asking for more than that.

???

Clowney has missed all of 5 games in his last 4 seasons. Shaq has missed 13 in his last 3.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

No, it's not wrong.  He doesn't sign the tender without a destination in place.  Houston can't trade him unless he agrees on the destination.  And he won't agree on the new destination until, as noted, he "agrees to terms" with a new team - which is different from signing. 

Correct, but even if he “agrees” to a new potential deal it can’t be signed until after the season and if he decides that he no longer wants to be there - he can not sign what was “agreed” to. 

Also if he has a great season (or a miserable season”) the team or the player could change what was discussed.

No team can sign him and ensure that he is there longer year - they only know what the player is looking for in a potential contract.

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Not sure what to think about this.  Bills have an overabundance of WRs, Pro RBs and quality tackles of which the Texans need each.  We could beat out the Dolphins on spare parts alone that will probably be cut.

I think you are over valuing our “cut” players quite a bit. Miami can package Tunsil, Stills, Rashad Jones and some of their draft picks. Any mixture of those is better than anything buffalo should give up. Zay Jones, Foster, Shaq Lawson, Trent Murphy, shady, none of those guys are even on the same level as a high Miami draft pick, or Tunsil. 

Shady has zero value, Houston can literally sign doug martin tomorrow and possibly have the same value shady brings for a vet minimum contract. Their running back need is not the end of the world as they just got Duke Johnson and need one more back to compliment him. Tackle is their biggest need and we don’t really have anyone of value at least on a clowney level. Tunsil, Stills and a draft pick lands clowney to Miami if the dolphins are dumb enough to do that. And Houston comes out looking like a legit playoff contender. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So basically you are ok with the trade as long as the Bills give up next to nothing for an all pro talent. Got it.

Salty this morning huh. Stay up too late waiting for Shefters tweet? If we get 4 or 5 sacks out of Shaq and same from Murphy we have surpassed Clowneys best year.  Pro Bowl doesnt mean as much to me as others (voted by fans). We all get to enamored with some of  these players to much hype.

7 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

Salty this morning huh. Stay up too late waiting for Shefters tweet? If we get 4 or 5 sacks out of Shaq and same from Murphy we have surpassed Clowneys best year.  Pro Bowl doesnt mean as much to me as others (voted by fans). We all get to enamored with some of  these players to much hype.

Clowney commands a lot more attention and fear into an offense than Murphy and Lawson.  I don't believe he's an every down pass rusher in HOU defense.

And also, Scottlaw said All Pro and not Pro Bowler.  All Pro isn't voted by the fans.

13 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

Sure sacks mean everything .Clowney wasn't a top run defender or have 16 TFL

or 21 QB hits?(oh wait clowney was a beast last year) Shaq and trent would have to double there production to match clowney. 

Edited by TheJauronClap

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with Jadeveon Clowney, or why the Bills may be interested.

I keep seeing the terms "All-Pro Talent" floating around his name, and it makes me laugh.  The guy has been in the NFL for five seasons and still hasn't recorded a double-digit sack season.  And that's with offensive coordinators focusing their blocking schemes against stopping J.J. Watt.  He's a good player, but certainly not a dominant one.  For all the comparisons I see to Mario Williams (which I think is a fair comparison), I don't think Clowney is anywhere close to the pass rusher Williams was at this point of their careers.

And as many have pointed out... whoever trades for Clowney cannot sign him to an extension until after the season is complete.  The NFL rules forbid it.  So unless you are foolish enough to trust a verbal agreement, this would be nothing more than a 1-year rental.  Next season, he becomes a Free Agent and can sign with anyone.

Now I'm as excited about the upcoming season as anyone, and I'm very optimistic we can make a playoff run.  But let's be honest.  This team isn't competing for a Super Bowl yet.  It would be really dumb to trade any kind of valuable player/draft assets for a guy who may only be in a Bills uniform for one season.  Now if we are talking a Day 3 draft pick, or a player like LeSean McCoy (who will also probably be gone next season), that's a different story.  Anything earlier would be a bigger waste than Kelvin Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Clowney commands a lot more attention and fear into an offense than Murphy and Lawson.  I don't believe he's an every down pass rusher in HOU defense.

And also, Scottlaw said All Pro and not Pro Bowler.  All Pro isn't voted by the fans.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Too much hype? 

Murphy and Shaq are no where near the level of player Clowney is. Let's fleece em for a 4th.?

I never feared him when the bills played Houston must just be me. And he got to play with JJ Watt who was probably commanding most of the attention and fear

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

I never feared him when the bills played Houston must just be me. And he got to play with JJ Watt who was probably commanding most of the attention and fear

He had 9.5 sacks in 2017 when Watt missed the entire year.  9 last year in 14 games.  He's a 3-4 OLB and Whitney Mercilius is the other OLB who rushes the passer too.  

Watt rushes the QB every play, Clowney doesn't.  Clowney is also great against the run.

He's been voted top 100 three years in a row....those votes are from the players.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He had 9.5 sacks in 2017 when Watt missed the entire year.  9 last year in 14 games.  He's a 3-4 OLB and Whitney Mercilius is the other OLB who rushes the passer too.  

Watt rushes the QB every play, Clowney doesn't.  Clowney is also great against the run.

He's been voted top 100 three years in a row....those votes are from the players.

Come on don't tell people that the last 3 seasons clowney played 44 games and Watt played 24. Watt was still on the team so even if he is labeled inactive they still schemed for him just in case he walked off the sideline in street clothes to play

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with Jadeveon Clowney, or why the Bills may be interested.

I keep seeing the terms "All-Pro Talent" floating around his name, and it makes me laugh.  The guy has been in the NFL for five seasons and still hasn't recorded a double-digit sack season.  And that's with offensive coordinators focusing their blocking schemes against stopping J.J. Watt.  He's a good player, but certainly not a dominant one.  For all the comparisons I see to Mario Williams (which I think is a fair comparison), I don't think Clowney is anywhere close to the pass rusher Williams was at this point of their careers.

And as many have pointed out... whoever trades for Clowney cannot sign him to an extension until after the season is complete.  The NFL rules forbid it.  So unless you are foolish enough to trust a verbal agreement, this would be nothing more than a 1-year rental.  Next season, he becomes a Free Agent and can sign with anyone.

Now I'm as excited about the upcoming season as anyone, and I'm very optimistic we can make a playoff run.  But let's be honest.  This team isn't competing for a Super Bowl yet.  It would be really dumb to trade any kind of valuable player/draft assets for a guy who may only be in a Bills uniform for one season.  Now if we are talking a Day 3 draft pick, or a player like LeSean McCoy (who will also probably be gone next season), that's a different story.  Anything earlier would be a bigger waste than Kelvin Benjamin.

The Bills may not be contending for a Super Bowl this year, but Clowney is still only 26 years old and entering his prime. He would serve as a vital piece to help achieve that goal in the foreseeable future.

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Some context is required here:

1) Clowney has made 3 consecutive pro bowls. I realize that's not all-pro, but the notion should hardly make you laugh. For the record, Clowney was indeed a 2nd-team all-pro in 2017.

2) Clowney had 2 very good years in 2016 and 2017...seasons in which Watt played a total of 8 games and had 1.5 sacks. Conflating Clowney's production with Watt's presence is not an accurate depiction of the situation.

3) He's more of a chess piece than other players at his position. He played 700 snaps as an EDGE defender in 2018, but he also played 100 snaps as an interior rusher and 30+ snaps as a standup 'backer. That's just for 2018; the mix was even more evenly distributed in 2017.

4) I've said it before: since week 1 of 2016 only one player has more TFLs than Clowney...Aaron Donald.

The dude is really, really good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Some context is required here:

1) Clowney has made 3 consecutive pro bowls. I realize that's not all-pro, but the notion should hardly make you laugh. For the record, Clowney was indeed a 2nd-team all-pro in 2017.

2) Clowney had 2 very good years in 2016 and 2017...seasons in which Watt played a total of 8 games and had 1.5 sacks. Conflating Clowney's production with Watt's presence is not an accurate depiction of the situation.

3) He's more of a chess piece than other players at his position. He played 700 snaps as an EDGE defender in 2018, but he also played 100 snaps as an interior rusher and 30+ snaps as a standup 'backer. That's just for 2018; the mix was even more evenly distributed in 2017.

4) I've said it before: since week 1 of 2016 only one player has more TFLs than Clowney...Aaron Donald.

The dude is really, really good.

And just to add my other favourite stat to all these - which you are 100% right on by the way Bandit - he was the 3rd most effective pass rusher in the NFL in 2018. The percentage of his rushes that ended up in pressures was behind only Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn.

He isn't just a dominant player he is one of the most dominant players in the league.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

How much of Clowney have you watched?

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And just to add my other favourite stat to all these - which you are 100% right on by the way Bandit - he was the 3rd most effective pass rusher in the NFL in 2018. The percentage of his rushes that ended up in pressures was behind only Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn.

He isn't just a dominant player he is one of the most dominant players in the league.

Clowney just does a number of things very well. Very active and disruptive sideline to sideline and he commands a lot of attention...elevating the play of his team mates.

Edited by Rocket94

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How much of Clowney have you watched?

The people who talk about his sack numbers clearly haven't watched much of the Texans. I can't say this often enough, he is sent after the QB much less than any of the other prime DEs in this league. When he is sent the stats prove it - he gets there more than almost anyone.

12 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Clowney just does a number of things very well. Very active and disruptive sideline to sideline and he commands a lot of attention.

That’s the biggest thing, he commands attention. Gives OC a focal point on someone to stop and game plan around. That allows other players to reap those benefits. 

• Like (+1) 1