Jump to content
wppete

Should we Trade Zay Jones?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Brian3488 said:

He looked like he was trying to block a small high school kid, stance was terrible, so he got demolished by the LB and held. Zays time is over, he had enough chances

He held him the whole way down to take him with him going down

 

Meh, he was going down with him anyways IMO. It's a weak call in football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If only someone had suggested that possibility in February around here...

 

I bet if someone DID suggest that in February, then everyone would say "no way",  "that is crazy", "he had a great 2nd year", "thats just a LAMP post", "Your thread title is wrong" and people would suggest he will never live that suggestion down forever.  

 

Good thing no one suggested that...😂🤣😂

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BBills88 said:

I thought it took 3 years for most NFL receivers be considered a bust or not.

I would see how he does this year.

😂😂 Only if it's a player they like, otherwise it's the old "eye test".😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If only someone had suggested that possibility in February around here...

 

I bet if someone DID suggest that in February, then everyone would say "no way",  "that is crazy", "he had a great 2nd year", "thats just a LAMP post", "Your thread title is wrong" and people would suggest he will never live that suggestion down forever.  

 

Good thing no one suggested that...😂🤣😂

 

We both know that admitting that someone was wrong is a big no-no on the internet. It's okay, I'm sure you're kicking yourself for not posting something you wish you had 😝

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If only someone had suggested that possibility in February around here...

 

I bet if someone DID suggest that in February, then everyone would say "no way",  "that is crazy", "he had a great 2nd year", "thats just a LAMP post", "Your thread title is wrong" and people would suggest he will never live that suggestion down forever.  

 

Good thing no one suggested that...😂🤣😂

 

The problem with that is Zay, Foster, and McKenzie were the only NFL wrs on the roster in Feb. Imagine if we'd traded him (assuming Zay was even tradeable) and FA hadn't gone as planned? I still think Zay gets this season to sink or swim. Foster looks like the guy far more entrenched in the doghouse.   

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He was tied for 16th in the league with 7 Tds, even with our pathetic line, running game, QBing and nothing even close to a #1 WR to draw coverage away from him.

 

There’s a reason that respected analysts don’t use TD’s to measure players. TD’s aren’t a great indicator of a WR’s actual contributions to the passing game.

 

So Zay caught 7 TD’s last year. If Beasley, Brown, or Duke was in the lineup instead, those TD’s are probably still there just spread out between different pass catchers.

 

Zay’s contributions to the passing game are slightly above replacement level, all things considered, in my opinion.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh IMO zay has good route running, stone hands. I think he catches 6/10 balls thrown his way, if not less. Did you guys see the play that should of been OPI on him? The ball was caught in his forearms, they had to rush the next play because they weren't sure he held onto it hitting the ground. If the guy cant get separation from 3rd stringers there's an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for nothing, but Zay also punched my dog, hates the Toy Story movies and eats his wings with Russian dressing.

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, if we can get a great return sure. But you have to figure the injury bug bites at some time. So whatever his role is he will have to contribute and we will need him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

If Duke Williams doesn't make this roster -and- Zay does, I will be shocked.

 

Leading the Bills in TD catches last year is like the player on the USA Soccer Men's Team leading the team in scoring... so what? Our offense was pathetic last season.

One can say the same thing about pre-season stats...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

 

The problem with that is Zay, Foster, and McKenzie were the only NFL wrs on the roster in Feb. Imagine if we'd traded him (assuming Zay was even tradeable) and FA hadn't gone as planned? I still think Zay gets this season to sink or swim. Foster looks like the guy far more entrenched in the doghouse.   

 

I hear ya, but if you recall the post...I said I thought Zay would be traded in preseason, not then the offseason. I made that post before Free Agency and I predicted we would bring in 2 to 3 new WR's, and we brought in 3 with Duke, Brown, and Cole.  I said I thought he would get every shot at this team but would struggle to stand out against better competition.  And if he slipped down the depth chart he could be a guy Beane would try and get some value for before being in a reserve role for a season would kill all trade value.  

 

Everything I suggested in February has pretty much gone that way so far.  The only thing left, is will he be traded (or even cut, but I still doubt he would get outright cut).  Brown took the top spot, Cole took the slot spot, and Zay has failed to lock down a starting spot and has not risen to the occasion anywhere during preseason and even dropped a TD last week and a first down this week with the ones.  

 

He still clearly has a shot to be a part of this team, but I think its proven out that the concerns I voiced then are still the concerns now and that his roster spot is not a lock.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Yet it was by Foster last year over the same stretch of games.  Also, Foster had three 100 yard games in the last 7 games...Not only has Zay not matched that, he has never had a single 100 game in 31 career games.  

 

He had 3 TDs. Zay more than doubled that.

 

Foster certainly offers more big play ability than Jones, and has a higher target %. I personally am not opposed to moving on from Jones, nor would I be surprised. His extensive playing time last night may be an indicator that the staff is more willing to move on than we thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

If you recall the post...I said I thought Zay would be traded in preseason, not then.  I made that post BEFORE Free Agency...I predicted we would bring in 2 to 3 new WR's, and we brought in 3 with Duke, Brown, and Cole.  I said I thought he would get every shot at this team but would struggle to stand out against better competition.  And if he slipped down the depth chart he could be a guy Beane would try and get some value for before being in a reserve role for a season would kill all trade value.  

 

Everything I suggested in February has happened exactly as I laid out.  The only thing left, is will he be traded (or even cut, but I still doubt he would get outright cut).  Brown took the top spot, Cole took the slot spot, and Zay has failed to lock down a starting spot and has not risen to the occasion anywhere during preseason and even dropped a TD last week and a first down this week with the ones.  

 

He still clearly has a shot to be a part of this team, but I think its proven out that the concerns I voiced then are still the concerns now and that his roster spot is not a lock.  

 

 

I begrudge you nothing.  It hasn’t happened yet, but your thoughts and comments from that time are spot on so far and do warrant a victory lap, to a degree.

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appears to be a consensus to cut Zay Jones. Question is, how long does a coaching staff wait on a 2nd round pick? The window appears to be closing because the Bills have so many young and determined players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

 

He had 3 TDs. Zay more than doubled that.

 

Foster certainly offers more big play ability than Jones, and has a higher target %. I personally am not opposed to moving on from Jones, nor would I be surprised. His extensive playing time last night may be an indicator that the staff is more willing to move on than we thought. 

 

Zay had 4 against MIAMI.  Pump the brakes.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they think Duke Williams play translates to Regular Season Football, yes - or just cut him. 

 

It just seems like Zay is never on the same page with JA and maybe he just needs a fresh start.   

 

If Roberts is a lock.. Foster backs up Brown as the speed guy.  McKenzie backs up Beasley as the shifty guy and then Duke is the big, physical WR.  

 

 

 Not sure Roberts a lock. As McKenzie can return punts and has shown to be a playmaker on offense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

I begrudge you nothing.  It hasn’t happened yet, but your thoughts and comments from that time are spot on so far and do warrant a victory lap, to a degree.

 

 

 

Not so much a victory lap, more defending my honor haha.  I mean people were in the shout box during this very game still saying I will never live that thread down lmao.  I stand by that thread 100% regardless if Zay is on this team week 1 or not

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would people feel better about Zay if lets say hes our 6th or 7th WR? 

 

Brown

Beasley 

Foster 

Roberts

Duke

McKenzie 

Zay

 

I mean im even trying to convince myself that he belongs on this team. But to me hes veen given ample opportunity and hes basically squandered it.

 

Poor hands with a ton of drops.  Penalties. What's holding him here? Draft position?

 

Management have said that hey are keeping the best players on the team regardless of draft position. 

 

Lets see if it holds true

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Not so much a victory lap, more defending my honor haha.  I mean people were in the shout box during this very game still saying I will never live that thread down lmao.  I stand by that thread 100% regardless if Zay is on this team week 1 or not

 

 

I disagreed with you vehemently.  Unless things change I am one of those who was wrong and owes you a beer.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zay Jones is the epitome of the mediocre WR's we've had here in the past 3 years.  Time to cut bait.  We have young hungry guys who have way more upside and actually catch the football.  All McKittrick and Williams do is make plays, time after time.  Zay doesn't.  He doesn't make that cut on the jet sweep and dive into the end zone.  He doesn't make that catch over another defender and take it in for the TD.  Instead, he drops a ball on the 1 yd line against the Panthers that was room service from JA.  McKittrick and The Duke catch that and score.  

 

As far as a trade, it's going to be difficult this close to the season.  Somebody will have to want him badly enough to grab him before he hits the streets, where anyone can claim him.  If someone offers a 4th or 5th, git 'r' dun.  6th or 7th, I might have to think about it for 10 seconds. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

I hear ya, but if you recall the post...I said I thought Zay would be traded in preseason, not then the offseason. I made that post before Free Agency and I predicted we would bring in 2 to 3 new WR's, and we brought in 3 with Duke, Brown, and Cole.  I said I thought he would get every shot at this team but would struggle to stand out against better competition.  And if he slipped down the depth chart he could be a guy Beane would try and get some value for before being in a reserve role for a season would kill all trade value.  

 

Everything I suggested in February has pretty much gone that way so far.  The only thing left, is will he be traded (or even cut, but I still doubt he would get outright cut).  Brown took the top spot, Cole took the slot spot, and Zay has failed to lock down a starting spot and has not risen to the occasion anywhere during preseason and even dropped a TD last week and a first down this week with the ones.  

 

He still clearly has a shot to be a part of this team, but I think its proven out that the concerns I voiced then are still the concerns now and that his roster spot is not a lock.  

 

I recall and yes you called it but I still think it wouldn't have been the correct move. We couldn't predict for sure that we'd be successful bringing in so many new receivers with his talent.

 

Also, having Zay through this off season and camp had the added benefit of one good culture guy in the receivers room that really knew the offense. I'd argue that on its own is worth the 6th round pick or whatever we might have got for him.  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bills are facing some tough decisions for the final 2-3 WR spots on this team.  Whatever they do though that position should be much upgraded from a year ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

I disagreed with you vehemently.  Unless things change I am one of those who was wrong and owes you a beer.

 

All good brother, you own me nothing.  All the disagreement was fair and warranted...it was always going to be a split subject.  But at least now, no one can say it was crazy or meritless as just about everything I wrote proved accurate.  Now whether or not that all equates to Zay being traded (or cut as some others suggested), is still up in the air.  But at least my thoughts have been validated.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...