Jump to content
JohninMinn.

Who is your slightly surprising cut?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Oh my god... The coaching staff vs. the fans on Zay Jones might be the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. Zay Jones is a top player on this roster and is still on his rookie contract. He will not even be a consideration for cuts... I truly don't understand why fans have it out for him so much. I wonder if it's because fans had unrealistic expectations for him. He was a second-round draft pick, folks, and he hasn't been a disappointment.

Hardly a “top player on their roster”

Over valuing a guy with his drop rate and pedestrian production is “the most hilarious thing I’ve ever seen”(which it’s honestly not, but since we’re going to really overstate our case here, you must not watch many funny things).

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For everyone saying Haushka gets cut...who do you replace him w at this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remind me when they usually start making the first round of cuts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ToddAllan said:

 

Also, I also expect 2 or 3 surprise TRADES before the season begins. Anyone else think so?

 

Beane could easily get a 4 - 6 round draft pick for one of their young receivers (Foster, McCloud, Phillips, McIntyre, or even Zay Jones) 

 

No one is giving a 4th or even 6th for the likes of McCloud or Phillips. 

 

Neither has done anything at all, in McCloud's he's looked terrible when he's played. Both are the wrong side of the expected 53 cut. This isn't Madden. 

9 minutes ago, skibum said:

Remind me when they usually start making the first round of cuts?

There aren't multiple rounds any more. It's a single cut to 53

Edited by Mountain Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Oh my god... The coaching staff vs. the fans on Zay Jones might be the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. Zay Jones is a top player on this roster and is still on his rookie contract. He will not even be a consideration for cuts... I truly don't understand why fans have it out for him so much. I wonder if it's because fans had unrealistic expectations for him. He was a second-round draft pick, folks, and he hasn't been a disappointment.

 

WTH are you saying?😳 “Unreal expectations” for a 2nd Round pick we traded up to get? WTH would be realistic expectations? Not getting separation? Not catching MOST passes thrown his way? Not strong running routes? 

I think I’m finally starting to understand your schitck. The BillsBlog is a meme, right? Antithesis of truth?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Codyny13 said:

For everyone saying Haushka gets cut...who do you replace him w at this time?

I wouldn't cut Hauschka outright rn but if/when that Carolina kicker gets waived I would bring him in and let him battle with Hausch for a week

 

He looked like he had a good leg

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Definitely haushka and the punters and might as well toss the long snapper in too lol 

 

I’m in this camp. McLaughlin has done nothing but be accurate and boom KOs out of the end zone. Super cheap too. Both Punters to the scrap heap as well.

17 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Outside of Zay Jones I don't think there's a cut they would make that would qualify as surprising. No real tenured vets. No high draft picks on the bubble outside of Shaq. This team is mostly a bunch of replacement level players at this point. They could cut any of them or none of them and it wouldn't shock me either way

Why are you even here? Seriously, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see any surprising cuts as much as we might see some trades 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DiMarco with a TE used when a blocking back is required.

 

His special team skills are very good, hence why a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Zay certainly isn’t a “top player.” He was horrendous as a rookie. He graded out as the lowest graded receiver in football. He bounced back last year and was okay. Was he effective last year because the other WRs were so bad or is he now a decent NFL receiver? 

 

He also doesn’t have any differentiating skills. He has terrible hands. Zay is no more than a decent route runner. He doesn’t have great short area quickness nor does he stretch the field. Zay is just okay or worse at every skill (besides levitation). 

 

If the Bills decide that they need a mix of skill sets he COULD (again not likely) be the odd man out. They could try to trade him for a later round pick (hi Giants) or cut him.

 

Brown, Beasley and Roberts are locks. Foster and Zay are likely. McKenzie is getting close to likely. Ray-Ray, Duke, Phillips, and even Easley are trying to sneak up. It isn’t crazy to me to think that McKenzie passes Zay on the depth chart (if he hasn’t already). The Bills also may want the big body of Duke because they don’t have any size otherwise. They don’t have someone that can make that play he did yesterday. It’s not impossible to me to see the WR depth chart as Brown, Beasley, Foster, McKenzie, Roberts, and Duke. 

 

 

Honest question, what skill set was Zay supposed to have when we drafted him? I figured at the time given his catch rate in college he'd come out as a Brandon Marshall possession type reciever but that might be the worst aspect of his game.

 

I used to think his poor hands was a mental thing after his rookie year but now that I've seen 2 years I might chalk up all his college catches to having some noodle armed quarterback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Why are you even here? Seriously, why?

Am I less of a fan because I'm not chanting Super Bowl in August like the majority of this board? If that's what I need to do, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t see any surprising cuts as much as we might see some trades 

That and some painful cuts that will probably be playing on other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Am I less of a fan because I'm not chanting Super Bowl in August like the majority of this board? If that's what I need to do, let me know.

Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds, Milano, Hughes, Oliver, Star L, T. Johnson, Tre White, Morse, McCoy, Ford, Roberts & Dawkins are replacement level players? That’s a far cry from chanting Super Bowl, let alone ridiculously biased and uniformed. 

 

I’m letting you know. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Why are you even here? Seriously, why?

 

Don't feed the...

 

Image result for bills troll doll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds, Milano, Hughes, Oliver, Star L, T. Johnson, Tre White, Morse, McCoy, Ford, Roberts & Dawkins are replacement level players? That’s a far cry from chanting Super Bowl, let alone ridiculously biased and uniformed. 

 

I’m letting you know. 

First of all, you misread my post - what i said was "Outside of Zay Jones I don't think there's a cut they would make that would qualify as surprising". 

There are a ton of players that don't fit into a bucket of guys they would cut - in other terms, they're virtual locks to make the team. Guys like Allen, Morse, Edmunds, Star, White, Oliver, Hughes, Milano, Borwn, Beasley, Kroft, Knox, Ford, Alexander, Murphy. etc.

Among the guys that aren't complete locks to make the team, I think any of them could be cut and it wouldn't be a shock. That is unless you'd consider McCoy getting cut a shock, but I wouldn't.

We don't have any cap-casualty type players left, or young kids that are going to force a long time vet off the team in my opinion.

 

And yes, outside of handful of proven players we have or guys with 1-2 years of experience most of them are replacement level guys including our entire 2nd string and lower defense, every WR below #2, our entire offensive line besides Dawkins and Morse (who is at serious risk of never playing again), our TE group (except the rookies) and our entire RB committee. It doesn't mean by default that they won't play well or be good down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

^. ^ 

I apologize. I did misread your post.

It's all good. I've been a pretty heavy skeptic of this squad, so I guess it's easy to take what I said the wrong way.

I really hope they can find a way to keep Wade on this team while he learns the position. I don't think we have another back that can run like him right now.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's all good. I've been a pretty heavy skeptic of this squad, so I guess it's easy to take what I said the wrong way.

I really hope they can find a way to keep Wade on this team while he learns the position. I don't think we have another back that can run like him right now.

Given what we’ve seen of him, he’d be an unquestioned Lock -if he even understood the game like an 8 year old in America. Not trying to be facetious. He’s learning the most basic concepts of the game just in the last few months!! Running away from the wall of blockers he had for a free trip to the end zone and not knowing what to do after scoring shows this. It’s kinda unbelievable, but I’m sure I’m the same way with the intricacies of Rugby. I mean, we played ‘Kill the Guy with the Ball’ when we were young. Rugby looks like the same thing to me. This is a very strange situation, but handing him a spot on the 53 without a basic understanding of the game is even crazier -incredible exploits notwithstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Given what we’ve seen of him, he’d be an unquestioned Lock -if he even understood the game like an 8 year old in America. Not trying to be facetious. He’s learning the most basic concepts of the game just in the last few months. Running away from the wall of blockers he had for a free trip to the end zone and not knowing what to do after scoring shows this. It’s kinda unbelievable, but I’m sure I’m the same way with the intricacies of Rugby. I mean, we played ‘Kill the Guy with the Ball’ when we were young. Rugby looks like the same thing to me. This is a very strange situation, but handing him a spot on the 53 without a basic understanding of the game is even crazier -incredible exploits notwithstanding.


It's an uphill climb for sure. I've always been a little curious why NFL teams don't employ personal trainers to turn guys with freak skills into legitimate players. Not sure if it's a CBA thing or they just don't view it as a worthy thing to do, but I'd like to believe if this guy had a personal coach that just taught him football day and night that he could be electric.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Honest question, what skill set was Zay supposed to have when we drafted him? I figured at the time given his catch rate in college he'd come out as a Brandon Marshall possession type reciever but that might be the worst aspect of his game.

 

I used to think his poor hands was a mental thing after his rookie year but now that I've seen 2 years I might chalk up all his college catches to having some noodle armed quarterback.

I assumed a lot of the same. I figured that he was either always open and/or had elite hands. I’m not sure how he was so productive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

 

WTH are you saying?😳 “Unreal expectations” for a 2nd Round pick we traded up to get? WTH would be realistic expectations? Not getting separation? Not catching MOST passes thrown his way? Not strong running routes? 

I think I’m finally starting to understand your schitck. The BillsBlog is a meme, right? Antithesis of truth?

You know what I'd like to know? I'd like to know what your problem with me is. It's clearly personal, but I don't remember what the root of it is. I'm tired of you being such a jerk and constantly reacting negatively to my posts. I see a notification involving you, and I automatically know it's going to be you having a problem with something. So, seriously, how did I offend you in the first place to where you feel you need to go after me constantly? And how did you get to be a mod by being a jerk? YOUR act is getting tired. I don't have an act; I just share my opinions/fears regarding the team, and a lot of people don't want to hear anything but positivity. I've always been a fan that intensely hopes on the inside but prepares for disappointment on the outside.

 

Now. About Zay Jones. It's not his fault we traded up for him. Did he struggle as a rookie? Yes. A lot of young receivers do. Was the "fight for Jesus" thing embarrassing? Yes. But no one could argue that he didn't improve significantly last season, and he performed like a respectable #2 receiver in the NFL. That's why the cut talk seems very foolish to me. All reports are that he's also a great cultural fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Zay Jones (did he even play last night after a poor 1st game?) or Hauschka (if they weren't concerned about him before , they should be now).

 

 

 

Edited by par73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

WR and RB cuts will make half of us unhappy. If it were up to me I’d say dump Yelden and possibly another because we all know they will keep Patrick DiMarco for some odd reason (I think it would be a trade of McCoy). As far as receivers go Brown and Beasley and Roberts are safe and then it gets crazy.. I’d like to keep Williams, Foster and McCloud. That means Zay would be out. I think we’ve seen enough. Only chance Zay should have is if they count Roberts as a core special teamer and not WR for numbers purposes.

 

Also, please dump Star

Edited by SJDK
Forgot Star

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...