How important is the Week 1 game against the Jets

19 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

In the NFL games can range from meaningless (late season game after the team has missed the playoffs, or has clinched home field advantage throughout) to immediately critical (playoffs or other win or go home games). 

The Bills are slight underdogs to the Jets.  The teams have a couple of  similarities particularly young unproven QBs.  From setting a tempo for the season, I feel as though this game is a bit out sized in importance to the typical week 1 game.  If Allen significantly outplays Darnold and the Bills win, (as I expect), I think Jets fans will be devastated.  Do you think the Jets players will be similarly de-moralized.  In the  unlikely event the situation is reversed, Darnold outplays Allen and the Jets win, I think Bills fans will be pretty disappointed. 

It’s around 1/16th in overall importance if u want to get mathematical. 

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

It’s around 1/16th in overall importance if u want to get mathematical. 

Its a division game when the Pats are probably going to win the division 

way more than 1/16th

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Its a division game when the Pats are probably going to win the division 

way more than 1/16th

No. If you want to ruminate on potential tie-breakers, etc. go ahead. But for those to even come into play the team’s overall 16-game record has to first be good enough to qualify. So yeah, it sounds clichéd, but it’s just one game.

Of course it's an important game. Every game is important until you're eliminated from playoff contention.

And a division game on top of that? Even more important. 

But we've got Matt Barkley, Jets-Killer, in reserves. No need to fear, our victory is assured. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

IMO this is almost a must win game as cliched as that sounds, but I'm very concerned we are going to see a repeat of last year's opener in Baltimore especially since this team has not been very good on the road under McD and also hasn't been very good against the division during his time here. In fact the last meaningful game between both teams we were destroyed and embarrassed in the TNF game a few years ago at the Jets.

Word on the street is that Darnold is looking like a STUD in jets camp and Gase is a much better coach than most realize. I'm starting to dread this game quite frankly.

What gives you such belief in Gase?  Yes he coached Manning but most here could have done that job.

No matter what anyone wants to think about the jets. That’s going to be a tough game. They are starting to do a lot of things right and it won’t be easy to beat them in their home opener. I live an hour away from MetLife and I hate the jets more then any team in the league. I’ll be there, I really hope I’m wrong and we slaughter them...I just think we might have our hands full.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Dawson Knox scored the first TD of the Bills season when he didn't score a TD in college. Well, he was never used in college.

And, of course, if he plays. ?

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No matter what anyone wants to think about the jets. That’s going to be a tough game. They are starting to do a lot of things right and it won’t be easy to beat them in their home opener. I live an hour away from MetLife and I hate the jets more then any team in the league. I’ll be there, I really hope I’m wrong and we slaughter them...I just think we might have our hands full.

I pointed out the Bills history of opening up a season against the Jets, and it isn't good.

I don't take ANYTHING for granted.

I believe the Bills are more talented than the Jets across the board, but it doesn't mean much with the Bills history of openers against the Jets.

Edited by njbuff

On 8/6/2019 at 11:13 PM, High Football IQ said:

IMO this is almost a must win game as cliched as that sounds, but I'm very concerned we are going to see a repeat of last year's opener in Baltimore especially since this team has not been very good on the road under McD and also hasn't been very good against the division during his time here. In fact the last meaningful game between both teams we were destroyed and embarrassed in the TNF game a few years ago at the Jets.

Word on the street is that Darnold is looking like a STUD in jets camp and Gase is a much better coach than most realize. I'm starting to dread this game quite frankly.

nice!

don't forget how the miami predictions worked out for you last year though.

• Haha (+1) 1