What do you think of Millennials?

Another Fan

This all depends......WHICH millennial? I had two VERY hard working and humble millennials over for dinner last night. One was a dual major, plus a Masters and CPA starting his MBA in a couple weeks. He would get up about 5:00am in HS football to be sure he had time to hit the gym before two-a-days. The other was top of her class in college, starts at Vanderbilt law school next month. Appreciates all of her blessings.

Then there are the others. Which one are we talking about? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I've seen a lot of manpower go to waste because of unions.

Come in Saturday.  we might have work ..  Union worker goes to work, the boards are not ready for test, said worker(s) sit and read a book for 4 hours then go home collecting OT pay 

Someone from management agreed to the clause and language being in the collective agreement.  If it was that important an issue, management should have addressed it at negotiations.

After having served on negotiating committees on behalf of the union’s side, I noted management often will ‘trip over 100 dollar bills to pick up nickels’.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

This all depends......WHICH millennial? I had two VERY hard working and humble millennials for dinner last night. One was a dual major, plus a Masters and CPA starting hi MBA in a couple weeks. He would get up about 5:00am in HS football to be sure he had time to hit the gym before two-a-days. The other was top of her class in college, starts at Vanderbilt law school next month. Appreciates all of her blessings.

Hello, Mr. Dahmer.  Do Millennials taste any different than Gen Xers?

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hello, Mr. Dahmer.  Do Millennials taste any different than Gen Xers?

The Chianti was delightful! 

It was more of a Silence of the Lambs-like event. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

This all depends......WHICH millennial? I had two VERY hard working and humble millennials over for dinner last night. One was a dual major, plus a Masters and CPA starting his MBA in a couple weeks. He would get up about 5:00am in HS football to be sure he had time to hit the gym before two-a-days. The other was top of her class in college, starts at Vanderbilt law school next month. Appreciates all of her blessings.

The accomplishments of the young in Toronto are unheard of, mostly the children of immigrants from Hong Kong and India 

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He's a millennial.  Can even go as early as 1977.  But, I think that is too early.

Xers are really a small splintered group defined by being closer to how Boomers behave or how Millennials behave.  But, like I said... Those two are echoes of each other.

I think you really do see thr shift with the kids being born in the 1970s... SO much radically changed during the years, namely the way children were educated at the elementary education level...

1980 is definitely millennial. So much changed that year.

LoL... 1984 is a millennial! 

I was born in 1977 and consider myself a Gen X.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

“Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.”

George Orwell

1*huBZQkUG-SJws1h6tbproA.png

Ummmmmmmm   

1981 - 1996  

post 1997 

WTF happened to the people born "post 1996" and  "pre" - post 1997?  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I am approaching my 6th year as a boys varsity lacrosse coach, and the kids just get worse and worse every year.  There are many exceptions to the rule, of course, but I find that every year the kids seem to become increasingly mentally weak, lazy and undisciplined.  Just whiny little crybabies.

If I start out with 27 or 28 kids, I know I’m going to lose 7 or 8 once they learn that they have to actually work hard and are not going to be instant all-americans.

The good ones (I call them throw back kids) are the ones with good parents.  Parents that are supportive, but also hold their kids accountable.  

The ***** birds, most often, have parents who are weak themselves.  Let the kids get away with murder, and do their best to “bulldoze” any adversity that their kids face due to their actions.

This is my last year as HC.  I told myself when I started that when the BS starts to outweigh the benefit, it would be time to pass the baton.  

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I am approaching my 6th year as a boys varsity lacrosse coach, and the kids just get worse and worse every year.  There are many exceptions to the rule, of course, but I find that every year the kids seem to become increasingly mentally weak, lazy and undisciplined.  Just whiny little crybabies.

If I start out with 27 or 28 kids, I know I’m going to lose 7 or 8 once they learn that they have to actually work hard and are not going to be instant all-americans.

The good ones (I call them throw back kids) are the ones with good parents.  Parents that are supportive, but also hold their kids accountable.  

The ***** birds, most often, have parents who are weak themselves.  Let the kids get away with murder, and do their best to “bulldoze” any adversity that their kids face due to their actions.

This is my last year as HC.  I told myself when I started that when the BS starts to outweigh the benefit, it would be time to pass the baton.  

That sounds like Irondequout Soccer League / Camp when my oldest was 8 and I was managing / coaching.

You start out with 12 or 13 kids in April / May and by August I was lucky to have 7 or 8 kids on the team.  (barely enough to play) 

seems nothings changed   LOL

3 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm 41, definitely don't consider myself a millennial

About to turn 41 later this week, and for sure don't consider myself a millennial. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the dividing line those who remember life even pre-dial up internet vs. learning how to read on an Ipad?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That sounds like Irondequout Soccer League / Camp when my oldest was 8 and I was managing / coaching.

You start out with 12 or 13 kids in April / May and by August I was lucky to have 7 or 8 kids on the team.  (barely enough to play) 

seems nothings changed   LOL

For me it’s the kids who like the idea of being on the lacrosse team, but once they realize they have to actually work hard and are not going to become instant stars, they find some lame excuse to quit.  It’s instant gratification or quit the team, and the parents let it happen.  Really, I rarely place the blame on the kids.  Their parents just suck.

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

About to turn 41 later this week, and for sure don't consider myself a millennial. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the dividing line those who remember life even pre-dial up internet vs. learning how to read on an Ipad?  

You’re gen X like me bro.  I just made it being born in ‘79 ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm 41, definitely don't consider myself a millennial

Very close.  You are more Millennial than Xer.  I am 51, more Boomer than Xer.  

Generation X is a hard to define generation.  Almost a "Lost Generation."  It probably should be called that if the Lost Generation didn't already exist.  My parents were "Lost Generation."

If Millennials are echoes of Baby Boomers... Maybe Xers are Generation v.2.0.

Lost Generation is defined by the Counter Culture... And that my parents were... 

Let me ask you this?  Are your parents Boomers?  If they are, you are probably more Millennial.

Yet... Some research defines pinning Millennials all the way back to 1977 birth year.  I like to define it more on when your parents were born.

Just saying.  Great topic OP!  Luv it!

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

For me it’s the kids who like the idea of being on the lacrosse team, but once they realize they have to actually work hard and are not going to become instant stars, they find some lame excuse to quit.  It’s instant gratification or quit the team, and the parents let it happen.  Really, I rarely place the blame on the kids.  Their parents just suck.

You’re gen X like me bro.  I just made it being born in ‘79 ?

Are your parents Boomers.  Then I would pin you as a Millennial... There is a "cusp" here.  No hard lines.  I would say anybody born between 1977-1984 can be Millennial, depending on their parent's tendencies.

Generation X is really Lost Generation v.2.0.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I was born in 1977 and consider myself a Gen X.

When were your parents born?

If pre-1950...Would define you as Xer... So much overlap.  But you are Xer, but have Millennial leaning.

I would define Xers as NOT children of Boomers.  BUT push definition of Boomers to 1950-1955.

There is lots of overlap here.  No set definitions.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Are kids allowed to work part time, and play on teams, getting to play even if they miss lots of practises?

My daughter is having a hell of a time @ 17.  Nobody wants to take risk unless she is 18.

That's NOT a parent issue.

I am talking normal jobs, corporate, retail, etc...

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this post.

I can't help but wonder how a "what do you think of baby boomers?" post would go. I also can't help but wonder how the OP THOUGHT this thread would turn out. When asking for opinions on an entire generation of people, I can't imagine the conversation going any direction but sideways.

I keep on reiterating... Millennials are also defined as Echo Boomers.  They Echo their parents.

Millennials will be fine.  They have the numbers on their side.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is a question!

Who's on their parent's cellphone plan?

Whoever is... Is DEFINITELY a Millennial!

And in the rare occasion their parent's are pn theirs, then they are still a Millennial... Just a well off one helping their Boomer parents.

Now... My in-laws are Lost Generation.  I finally had to say stop being bled dry with an individual plan on an obsolete 2010 flip phone.  I gave them a  iPhone 4s (new battery) and for $20 more on my Verizon plan... They get unlimited everything.

I tell them it's free... Or they simply would stop using a CellPhone.  They are in 80s and closest family is 400-500 miles away.  My BiL further, out West.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think they are just like every generation before them.

A lot of them good and a lot of them suck....a lot in between.  

Mostly suck.  LoL...

My Bro just lamenting how his 33 year old is still on his cell plan.  Now, like I said above, that's okay if she is dealing with a 10 year old phone and it's only $20/month extra.

39 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Are your parents Boomers.  Then I would pin you as a Millennial... There is a "cusp" here.  No hard lines.  I would say anybody born between 1977-1984 can be Millennial, depending on their parent's tendencies.

Generation X is really Lost Generation v.2.0.

Depends, my mother and father were both born in ‘49.  None of my grandparents served in WWII.  My paternal grandfather served in Korea.

I remember my Italian teacher in HS used to tell us all the time (in his heavy Italian accent) “Generation X is supposed to be the cream of the crop, but it appears as though the cream has spoiled.”  Were there high expectations for Gen X?