Free Bird still bangs

Teddy KGB

First compact disc i ever got. I discovered this song when i was a tween watching forest gump..it was the scene where Jenny is standing on the hotel balcony contemplating suicide...i was like “wtf is the amazing song”...found out it was Lynyrd skynyrd and begged my mom to buy it for me when i found it in the music section at a Kmart. Played this song over and over and over...still gives me goosebumps when I listen to it. Classic

• Like (+1) 1

I specifically remember the day I first heard this. I was going grocery shopping with my dad and this came on 97 Rock. My dad made me sit in the car with him to hear the whole song. Blew my mind. Named my parakeet after the song a few years later. Coincidentally, from the Pet-co in the same parking lot. 

I played in a band in 1975 as a 14 year old and this was our go to song.  We nailed it!   I had a drum solo in the middle of it and always tried to fire off smoke bombs during it.  Nearly burnt down my friend's house and our high school.  How fun!! 

Been hearing the "original" version on XLIXEX radio (formerly Slacker) that appears to be a demo version and pre-Mussel Shoals.  Don't like it as much as the version most know and love.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I played in a band in 1975 as a 14 year old and this was our go to song.  We nailed it!   I had a drum solo in the middle of it and always tried to fire off smoke bombs during it.  Nearly burnt down my friend's house and our high school.  How fun!! 

You guys were awesome at crocodile rock too.  

16 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Ugh....most overplayed and overrated song ever.

Overplayed sure, overrated no way imo.

its like stairway to heaven.  It’s an awesome song that’s been played to death.  But if you haven’t heard it in a long time, it still rocks

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I specifically remember the day I first heard this. I was going grocery shopping with my dad and this came on 97 Rock. My dad made me sit in the car with him to hear the whole song. Blew my mind. Named my parakeet after the song a few years later. Coincidentally, from the Pet-co in the same parking lot. 

You named a caged parakeet, that you paid for, "Free Bird".  I'm glad you mastered irony at a young age.  ?

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

its like stairway to heaven.  It’s an awesome song that’s been played to death.

I agree. This happens to a lot of music. 

I'm a pretty big Skynard fan and I never listen to Free Bird. Not because it sucks but because the life has been sucked out of it due to overexposure.

Edited by Dante
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You named a caged parakeet, that you paid for, "Free Bird".  I'm glad you mastered irony at a young age.  ?

The irony is that her freedom is what killed her. Other than when we weren't home, we kept her cage open so she could fly around the house a free as she wanted. Then one day, on Thanksgiving of all days, my dad stepped on her not knowing she was under his feet on the recliner. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The irony is that her freedom is what killed her. Other than when we weren't home, we kept her cage open so she could fly around the house a free as she wanted. Then one day, on Thanksgiving of all days, my dad stepped on her not knowing she was under his feet on the recliner. 

image.jpeg.8b7e1094da6065b64363853d55007e55.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

its like stairway to heaven.  It’s an awesome song that’s been played to death.  But if you haven’t heard it in a long time, it still rocks

Agreed. I feel the same way about Sweet Home Alabama. It's always celebrated as this redneck anthem that people waive their confederate flags to. But the lyrics are actually the oppoiste. Basically saying, "Yeah, there's some racist a-holes here, but we're so much more than that. And there are plenty of us trying to fight that here." Really some of the best lyrics ever written, just happened to have a catchy riff and tune too. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe