Roger Goodell speaks to Buffalo media from Jim Kelly’s golf tournament

39 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess my point is we need to stop thinking about this as Jerry World or MetLife and start trying to be Jacksonville. There is no reason that the Bills can’t climb from 32nd in revenue to 25 (or maybe even higher). The goal isn’t to go from the lowest revenue to the highest. It’s just to grow.

I dont think hot tubs will work in our stadium

really though, they are doing it right.  They are obviously doing thorough research to figure out what people want and what can/should be monetized.  A palace of suites obviously wont work because we lack fortune 500s, and most common fans want to watch football, not socialize in lounges.

Pegula himself said it would be 'scaled down' to our market.  

Honestly, there is a much higher price ceiling in the current stadium, but all they need to do is be relevant.  

Edited by May Day 10

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I new stadium may bring in new fans to games that didn't go before for various reasons. We already know that the NFL and the Pegulas aren't big fans of some of the things that goes on during tailgating. With a new stadium I can see tailgating being cut down in size. With smaller tailgating it will force people to eat and drink in the stadium. 

This^

There is an untapped , more upscale market in Buffalo and its environs that stays away from games at the current facility. This is due to the lack of climate control and a certain segment of fans that currently attends. Some are too absorbed in their own situation to acknowledge / realize that this market exists. This isn’t the early 1980’s in Buffalo. The bargain basement ticket prices and the setup  outside the stadium encourage well publicized behaviors that keep the deeper pockets out of the picture. A new climate controlled stadium changes this in a big way. 

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think d-bag owners such as Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Robert Kraft will want to change this at the next CBA.  There may still be revenue sharing, but I would guess the argument they'll make is that larger market teams bring in more revenue, so they should keep more of that revenue.  It is the history of now, never mind how these small market teams were integral in making the NFL what it is now.  That is lost on, and ignored, by many of today's owners.  They completely discount the potential that maybe fans want to see tradition that made the NFL great, maintained.

They were saying this before the CBA. It's not going to happen.  All the other owners (Pegula first and foremost) who are not Jones/Snyder/Kraft will never vote to share their suite revenue with other teams, nor would they agree to giving up more home ticket revenue to those guys.  Why would they ever let that happen?

22 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This^

There is an untapped , more upscale market in Buffalo and its environs that stays away from games at the current facility. This is due to the lack of climate control and a certain segment of fans that currently attends. Some are too absorbed in their own situation to acknowledge / realize that this market exists. This isn’t the early 1980’s in Buffalo. The bargain basement ticket prices and the setup  outside the stadium encourage well publicized behaviors that keep the deeper pockets out of the picture. A new climate controlled stadium changes this in a big way. 

It's an encouraging thought, but how many of these upscale patrons would rather watch a game at home or with their friends?  

I still think the best reason to attend a game (especially in Buffalo) is for the pregame festivities, an experience you can't replicate at home.  If these fans aren't going for this social atmosphere, I don't think a new stadium is likely to bring them out.  

4 minutes ago, stony said:

It's an encouraging thought, but how many of these upscale patrons would rather watch a game at home or with their friends?  

I still think the best reason to attend a game (especially in Buffalo) is for the pregame festivities, an experience you can't replicate at home.  If these fans aren't going for this social atmosphere, I don't think a new stadium is likely to bring them out.  

That’s what the Pegulas market research is going to determine. Some will, and some won’t. Not much different than other fans throughout the county and beyond. However, your cited best reasons to attend are likely some of their biggest reasons for staying away. Regardless, the Pegulas won’t be interested in a building a new stadium to promote a social atmosphere ,if that’s what they decide to do. Their interest lies in maximizing current revenue streams as well as creating opportunities for new ones. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

That’s what the Pegulas market research is going to determine. Some will, and some won’t. Not much different than other fans throughout the county and beyond. However, your cited best reasons to attend are likely some of their biggest reasons for staying away. Regardless, the Pegulas won’t be interested in a building a new stadium to promote a social atmosphere ,if that’s what they decide to do. Their interest lies in maximizing current revenue streams as well as creating opportunities for new ones. 

No, definitely not referring to the table slamming and general debauchery. 

I'm just somewhat skeptical to what the market will support in terms of persuading those with deeper pockets to come out to the game if they weren't coming in the first place.  

I tend to wonder how the tailgating culture would be if the stadium got more modern.  Meaning restaurants, etc...

I picture it like the Dawg Pound in Cleveland.  It still exists but it’s not like was at the Municipal Stadium 

3 minutes ago, stony said:

I'm just somewhat skeptical to what the market will support in terms of persuading those with deeper pockets to come out to the game if they weren't coming in the first place.  

Research and more research. They won’t attend at the current facility most likely. Pricing power even at a renovated NEF will be limited by the lack of climate control among other things. The Bills are a business, so all of this will be very carefully planned. 

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were saying this before the CBA. It's not going to happen.  All the other owners (Pegula first and foremost) who are not Jones/Snyder/Kraft will never vote to share their suite revenue with other teams, nor would they agree to giving up more home ticket revenue to those guys.  Why would they ever let that happen?

I think I misunderstood your initial post.  Agree, the other owners would not want to share their suite and ticket sales revenue, nor should they.  I was thinking TV revenue for some reason.  That should continue to be shared, regardless of the argument that, say the Cowboys, bring in more viewers than the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, eball said:

Give the teams more of an ability to practice and/or scrimmage with other teams, and remove 1-2 of the preseason games.  I think coaches would be fine with that and as a fan, I'd appreciate shortening the preseason.

While we're at it, add two playoff teams in each conference (4 division champs, 4 wild cards) and get rid of the byes for the top two seeds.

I'd be all for this

1 hour ago, stony said:

I think if they build a domed stadium would bring a lot of those people with deeper pockets if they know they won't have to deal with the weather. 

Judging by a lot of the responses in regards to a new stadium that a lot you are afraid to be priced out and losing tailgating the way it is now. A new stadium would probably make ticket prices closer to the league average of $100 vs $70 which is what they are now. 

Edited by Jrb1979

The people who attend Bills games by in large part ARE NOT wealthy individuals 

they are 90% working class who make less than 100 grand a year 

Older people by in large part do not attend a lot of games and would rather watch on the couch

the Market has ALWAYS been the working class young adults who like to have fun... going back to the rockpile days when they were bringing in kegs 

the market is 18-40.. that is 70% on gameday and they like to have fun and keep our tailgating traditions alive

keep it in OP

and it has nothing to do with ticket prices .. it’s what the Bills atmosphere is KNOWN for

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The people who attend Bills games by in large part ARE NOT wealthy individuals 

they are 90% working class who make less than 100 grand a year 

Older people by in large part do not attend a lot of games and would rather watch on the couch

the Market has ALWAYS been the working class young adults who like to have fun... going back to the rockpile days when they were bringing in kegs 

the market is 18-40.. that is 70% on gameday and they like to have fun and keep our tailgating traditions alive

keep it in OP

and it has nothing to do with ticket prices .. it’s what the Bills atmosphere is KNOWN for

Well my ticket group of about 20 years has a wide variety of incomes. We all do alright financially, most of us are college educated professionals , and there’s also a few guys who own their own businesses and do quite well. Like, really really well.

This discussion has come up amongst the group, and not one of us would be into a new stadium, at least not for season tickets.  I expected the money-bag fellas to be into it, but nope, one of them was the first to recoil at the idea, he gestured to the grill-smoke and beer filled NErF parking lots and said “this is what it’s all about”.

And I agree.

• Like (+1) 2

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Estro said:

One thing we know for sure: Roger Goodell and by extension the other 31 owners in the NFL want a new stadium in Buffalo.  

I understand their stance from a money standpoint, but I personally like New Era field quite a bit.  The sight lines are second to none, IMO

You are so right.  A new stadium is all about $$$$$$$ that is generated by luxury boxes and suites.  

An NFL stadium alone won't revive downtown, but an NFL stadium DT alongside other attractions like a ballpark or an arena or a convention center which together provide a stream of year round events is much more likely to. 

I think despite the lack of public money we are at a good time in the stadium process. Theres been too many relocations in the NFL lately and the league requires stability and needs to reinforce confidence in markets that they won't get up and leave two decades later like they did in St Louis after they ponied up for a stadium. Plus the places we could potentially move to aren't that strong to begin with or have huge opposition from prominent owners (i.e. Jerry Jones & Bob McNair - San Antonio). There will be public money involved, but I suspect not as much as we may actually fear.

The signs to me point to DT in a smaller stadium given all the land and investments the Pegula's have made there in recent years (harborcenter, draft room etc) where the Pegula's can attract more money to their investments in that area. I'm not sure we will see a domed or stadium with a retractable roof though IMO for financial reasons, too expensive, even if a roof attracts major events year round rather than just the summer - Ford Field has had numerous winter major concerts IIRC. Something similar to First Energy in Cleveland will be the end result I think. It'll be a "Buffalo Style" stadium as stated before, obviously not Jerry World and not even Lucas Oil and I'm fine that. 

Edited by red hots

30 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Well my ticket group of about 20 years has a wide variety of incomes. We all do alright financially, most of us are college educated professionals , and there’s also a few guys who own their own businesses and do quite well. Like, really really well.

This discussion has come up amongst the group, and not one of us would be into a new stadium, at least not for season tickets.  I expected the money-bag fellas to be into it, but nope, one of them was the first to recoil at the idea, he gestured to the grill-smoke and beer filled NErF parking lots and said “this is what it’s all about”.

And I agree.

Of course there are all sorts of incomes

but there are very few “wealthy” fans at games... as in family wealth ... people who turn there noses down at working class

Sure there are some millionaires and families that make 6 figures but not the majority

the average income in Buffalo is like 30k

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pegula and the other 31 owners know how to manipulate public opinion (NO ONE is actually talking about "moving the Bills" lol to their favor.  But looks like Erie County is still saying..."yeah, whatever".