Roger Goodell speaks to Buffalo media from Jim Kelly’s golf tournament

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Not sure I understand how a new stadium means the team will be more stable and successful.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Bills should just stay put. Throw 500 million at the current stadium for renovations and call it good.

I think the projected cost of a full reno was around $500 million the last time it came up and the County rejected it. I’d guess it’s substantially higher now. The design of Rich/ NEF doesn’t lend itself to major modifications , so it will be pricey to modernize. 

Im thinking we could be seeing some tangible stadium details (such as location and renderings) come out in the next 6 months to a year.  The timing of the current lease along with the amount of time it takes for posturing, politicking, construction etc, puts it in line with the process starts soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Cleveland: Av high/low 57/42 nine days of rain

Buffalo: Av high/low 52/38 ten days of rain

The biggest thing about Ohio weather in spring is it is unpredictable. It could be 80 or 30 at the end of April, on any given day. It could be both on the same day. Regardless, Cleveland isn’t getting the draft because of its weather. Chicago has worse weather imo than either city and it got one too. 

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Cleveland: Av high/low 57/42 nine days of rain

Buffalo: Av high/low 52/38 ten days of rain

Yep, high five degrees warmer  than BUF on average.That means more days in the 60s, which is a lot closer to comfortable. Trees didn’t have leaves in BUF much before Memorial Day and cherry blossoms were still around. That’s over a month after Columbus OH and a whopping two months after DC area. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep, high five degrees warmer  than BUF on average.That means more days in the 60s, which is a lot closer to comfortable. Trees didn’t have leaves in BUF much before Memorial Day and cherry blossoms were still around. That’s over a month after Columbus OH and a whopping two months after DC area. 

Sounds like you need to move to Cbus. Go Bucks 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds like you need to move to Cbus. Go Bucks 

Love the Bucks ! Stuck here for another 5-7 years lol. Many years in and a big hit to my pension to leave now.  I’ll live, but it’s getting tougher as the weather is getting worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

The problem they have with Buffalo is leverage.

The NFL tries to leverage it get what they want.

The Superbowl was used to push some teams to upgrade stadium - it does not work for Buffalo.

Events like the draft are used to reward or push teams - they have never given one so their promises would fall on deaf ears.

The NFL tried to punish Buffalo via schedule until it was shown that empirically that the scheduling was very skewed and that hurt their reputation.

The Bills owners are not poor so they cannot use funding pressure on Bills.

They want an expensive stadium paid for by tax dollars but have not shown how they will find people to pay for enough of those PSLs in a city which does not have enough corporations to sell boxes.

If they cut off owner membership in panels it hurts them where they are most vulnerable - our female owner is one who does those committees.

If they threaten to move they currently have a contract very punishing and owners have no incentive to move since they are fans first.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Please, those differences are so minimal they aren't worth mentioning.  Your mind is made up though so facts don't matter.  And, who isn't comfortable in the 50's?

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The problem they have with Buffalo is leverage.

The NFL tries to leverage it get what they want.

The Superbowl was used to push some teams to upgrade stadium - it does not work for Buffalo.

Events like the draft are used to reward or push teams - they have never given one so their promises would fall on deaf ears.

The NFL tried to punish Buffalo via schedule until it was shown that empirically that the scheduling was very skewed and that hurt their reputation.

The Bills owners are not poor so they cannot use funding pressure on Bills.

They want an expensive stadium paid for by tax dollars but have not shown how they will find people to pay for enough of those PSLs in a city which does not have enough corporations to sell boxes.

If they cut off owner membership in panels it hurts them where they are most vulnerable - our female owner is one who does those committees.

If they threaten to move they currently have a contract very punishing and owners have no incentive to move since they are fans first.

Pretty good analysis. BUF presents a unique situation because of the things you cited, not the least of which is the owners. It really comes down to what do the Pegulas really want ? 

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Please, those differences are so minimal they aren't worth mentioning.  Your mind is made up though so facts don't matter.  And, who isn't comfortable in the 50's?

You cited an average, so the actual difference is substantial. Not minimal. Temps aren’t considered comfortable for most until it hits around 60. 50’’s is at least a light jacket and only seems decent to those used to BUF weather or worse. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You're right they don't and and that's why particularly in hockey the 8th seeds are beating the 1 seeds.  Is that really a good thing. In the NHL and NBA way too many teams are making the playoffs anyway.  Agree it was cool that in 2018 Virginia lost to the 16 seed, but did it really make the tournament better or Syracuse losing to Vermont or Richmond?  Actually MLB does give byes BTW through the wild card round.

Without the byes I doubt the Bills would have made it to 4 straight Super Bowls.  Granted, one year it helped them, but the other three, would likely have been knocked out of one of them.

And to your last question, why should the NFL.  Did you ever think that maybe that's at least a small part of the reason the NFL is the #1 sport. 

Er, as opposed to a 6 beating a 3 and then a 6 beating a 1 AND then winning the Super Bowl, which the 2010 Packers and 2005 Steelers did. I'm not really sure I follow how a lower seed beating a higher seed cheapens a league. 

The 6th seeds in the NFL have done relatively well and many have advanced to the AFC/NFC Championships. That means they've been beating the 1 seeds. Why does it matter that they've done it a round later in the playoffs? I don't think for a second that's making the league worse off.

I'm not saying expand to 8 teams, I'm just not sure I get why a bye is necessary.

I could do without the clickbait trash from PFT. I’m calling on all of my fellow TBD members to boycott that trash site!!

With that being said this is pretty much the exact same situation that it’s been forever. It’s posturing. A new stadium or a massive renovation is absolutely coming. That has ALWAYS been the case. Everyone is going to try to leverage the other side to pick up as much of the tab as they can. At the end of the day it will be a public/private partnership where each side picks up their piece.

My one wish is that this whole thing didn’t play out in the media. When comments like this are made, trash media, like PFT, will create their own narrative  for clicks. The uneducated now believe that they are in jeopardy of leaving. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

the stadium we have can go another 20 years right where it is,  probably longer.

it is not critical for the bills survival any time soon. except to possibly raise revenue, which for this market is fantasy.

terry & kim's life expectancy is.....which is currently another +30 years

this community will not support PSL's and more suites....they can barely fill the ones they have.

i support a new stadium....but NOT before it's needed.

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

The sabre rattling about an 18 game schedule is just a ploy, used before, in the CBA discussions.  The owners talk about it now, and when it's scrapped, they can point to an area where they gave in to the players.

I'm with the players on this one.  I think the great appeal of the NFL is that every game is huge and that less is more.  Unless you like seeing third-string RBs in December, the 18 game schedule should never be approved.  Unfortunately, it's tied to the number of preseason games but I can remember that when there were 14 regular season games, there were also six preseason games, which was a slog.  However, back then, players needed the six preseason games to get into shape, unlike today where football training is a 12 month job. 

Players long ago needed second jobs in the off-season and came to camp right after July 4th.  I remember the back of one of my Ray Nitschke cards had a cartoon of a player in a car lot showing off a new auto, that said "Ray sells cars in the off-season."

All they want is a longer season and more teams in the hunt. Can be accomplished easily with a 2nd bye, another midweek primetime game (next to that extra bye) and a third wild card. Knock preseason down to two games and I'd say mission accomplished.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I could do without the clickbait trash from PFT. I’m calling on all of my fellow TBD members to boycott that trash site!!

With that being said this is pretty much the exact same situation that it’s been forever. It’s posturing. A new stadium or a massive renovation is absolutely coming. That has ALWAYS been the case. Everyone is going to try to leverage the other side to pick up as much of the tab as they can. At the end of the day it will be a public/private partnership where each side picks up their piece.

My one wish is that this whole thing didn’t play out in the media. When comments like this are made, trash media, like PFT, will create their own narrative  for clicks. The uneducated now believe that they are in jeopardy of leaving. 

Saw this on Twitter before TBD and the writer is trying to defend his crap take with Bills fans. Pathetic.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, shane nelson said:

If you want the Bills to be here for the next 50 years then "Our House" must be up to NFL standards.  While I love Rich, The Ralph and The Cap as much as anyone else; I love the Bills more.  Our House needs a MAJOR Renovation (okay KC or GB) or we need to move to a new home.  That new home is either OP or DT.  If not, we will be at risk of that location being somewhere else.  Time to deal with reality and not our own wants and wishes!!   

I agree, it's absurd people are wanting a renovation to the current concrete crumbling dump.

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

the stadium we have can go another 20 years right where it is,  probably longer.

it is not critical for the bills survival any time soon. except to possibly raise revenue, which for this market is fantasy.

terry & kim's life expectancy is.....which is currently another +30 years

this community will not support PSL's and more suites....they can barely fill the ones they have.

i support a new stadium....but NOT before it's needed.

While Buffalo doesn’t have the corporate presence to sell more suites, I disagree on the raising of revenue overall. There is plenty of room for that in this market, which currently has the lowest average ticket price in the league. There is an upscale market that remains largely untapped who simply won’t attend games at the current venue. This is largely due to weather and the presence of a segment of fans that currently goes to the games. This won’t change without a new venue. The stadium isn’t exactly crumbling to the ground, but it’s a woefully outdated relic from a different era of the NFL from a business standpoint. 

51 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Pretty good analysis. BUF presents a unique situation because of the things you cited, not the least of which is the owners. It really comes down to what do the Pegulas really want ? 

And I think the type of owner we have is directly related to how Ralph set up his lease. 

He did not want a carpetbagger coming in and moving team.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And I think the type of owner we have is directly related to how Ralph set up his lease. 

He did not want a carpetbagger coming in and moving team.

He definitely took major steps to prevent it. Without that, their situation in BUF was tenuous at best. Probably were the most vulnerable team in the league in that regard.