Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

I worry a bit that this is all a bunch of fools gold right now.  It's been 3 consecutive OT games now and that's pretty much exactly what was happening in the streak last year.  I could really use a definitive victory today (god I hate these early starts).  They're playing a different game than last year, but I worry that it's still the same brains playing that different game.  Until I see that more resilient group that doesn't buckle under the pressure and quit, that possibility is going to remain in my mind.

And John, they can't buy out Sobotka at this point.  So unless they were to convince someone to take on part of his contract, he's here he the rest of the way.  I can't imagine there's much to be saved money-wise by the Arizonas of the world to make that deal since he's in the last year of a contract.  At least he actually plays though and doesn't wind up as the complete cap albatross that Bogosian is.  That's the contract this is going to limit them a bit if they want to make some deadline deals.  He's going to find a way to get healthy for about 3 weeks, blocking the chance of LTIRing him at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is an article by Paul Hamilton for WGR focusing on Dahlin and explaining why Dahlin didn't play at the end of the Florida game. Dahlin is a good and  coachable kid who is receptive to what the coach decides to do. He's a big talent with a secure ego. We are fortunate to have him. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-dahlin-knows-why-he-didnt-play-late-third

I know a lot of Buffalo fans are upset about him sitting the final 8 minutes of the game, but I don’t think it’s really that big a deal (not yet, at least). 

For years, fans have wanted the rebuild to be done and winning to be the #1 priority. 

Well, I think this is partly what it looks like. Most good NHL teams prioritize winning. They don’t give their youngest players unlimited ice time no matter their mistakes+bad play. If a young player is struggling during a game and making costly mistakes, they get less ice time because the team wants to win that game. Winning is the #1 goal.  

Now I get that developing Dahlin is critical to the Sabres future. But I don’t really see this hampering his development. I am sure will be put into those important situations more as the year goes on and he earns more trust with the coaches. Plus, he’s only 19 (and has only been a defenseman since switching from forward at his age 13/14 season). Most defenseman aren’t even in the NHL at age 19. He’s still getting top 4 minutes and #1 PP time. 

Dahlin has without a doubt struggled in his own zone the last 2 games. His usage late in the 3rd period last game reflected that. But Dahlin’s usage was higher when the Sabres have been trailing on the scoreboard. That tells me Krueger recognizes Dahlin’s current strengths. He knows that he should be on the ice when we need to score a goal but maybe not when we need to defend a lead (at least not yet, especially when he’s having a bad game in his own end). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I worry a bit that this is all a bunch of fools gold right now.  It's been 3 consecutive OT games now and that's pretty much exactly what was happening in the streak last year.  I could really use a definitive victory today (god I hate these early starts).  They're playing a different game than last year, but I worry that it's still the same brains playing that different game.  Until I see that more resilient group that doesn't buckle under the pressure and quit, that possibility is going to remain in my mind.

And John, they can't buy out Sobotka at this point.  So unless they were to convince someone to take on part of his contract, he's here he the rest of the way.  I can't imagine there's much to be saved money-wise by the Arizonas of the world to make that deal since he's in the last year of a contract.  At least he actually plays though and doesn't wind up as the complete cap albatross that Bogosian is.  That's the contract this is going to limit them a bit if they want to make some deadline deals.  He's going to find a way to get healthy for about 3 weeks, blocking the chance of LTIRing him at some point.

I think the difference is that this year the underlying numbers are okay, the goalies are not saving way above expected rate..and if anything the Sabres have been a bit unlucky in the last few games...as opposed to the streak where the PDO was off the charts, goalies were laying way above expectation, and the Sabres were getting lucky as hell with some of those comeback wins.

It kinka like how I see the Bills this year vs 2011..when they were winning with Pick 6s and huge turnover margins...that was last year 10 win streak team

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know a lot of Buffalo fans are upset about him sitting the final 8 minutes of the game, but I don’t think it’s really that big a deal (not yet, at least). 

For years, fans have wanted the rebuild to be done and winning to be the #1 priority. 

Well, I think this is partly what it looks like. Most good NHL teams prioritize winning. They don’t give their youngest players unlimited ice time no matter their mistakes+bad play. If a young player is struggling during a game and making costly mistakes, they get less ice time because the team wants to win that game. Winning is the #1 goal.  

Now I get that developing Dahlin is critical to the Sabres future. But I don’t really see this hampering his development. I am sure will be put into those important situations more as the year goes on and he earns more trust with the coaches. Plus, he’s only 19 (and has only been a defenseman since switching from forward at his age 13/14 season). Most defenseman aren’t even in the NHL at age 19. He’s still getting top 4 minutes and #1 PP time. 

Dahlin has without a doubt struggled in his own zone the last 2 games. His usage late in the 3rd period last game reflected that. But Dahlin’s usage was higher when the Sabres have been trailing on the scoreboard. That tells me Krueger recognizes Dahlin’s current strengths. He knows that he should be on the ice when we need to score a goal but maybe not when we need to defend a lead (at least not yet, especially when he’s having a bad game in his own end). 

Excellent post. What many people may not have noticed is that at the end of the Panther game Vesey was playing on the first line replacing Olofsson. The switch was for the same reason that Dahlin didn't play at the end of the game when the Panthers were making an offensive push. What this boils down to is situational awareness and attention to detail by this very smart coach.

The coach's first responsibility for this team (a fringe playoff team) is to win. These two young players are getting significant playing so the issue of development is not impinged. The Sabres have had good fortune and started off 4-0-1. So I am not going to get carried away. However, there is no doubt in my mind that astute coaching and not sentimental coaching is a factor in our early success. The coach is smartly managing the assets and liabilities he has within his roster. That's what good coaches do. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm not worried about Sobotka. He's not an albatross. He is playing within his established role, and overall has been solid. And so are Scandella and Okposo, two frequent targets of the frustrated fans. I don't understand your queasiness about this team. Without question this roster is upgraded with the additions. And demonstrably they are playing a harder brand of play for longer periods of time. 

Last year's team was mentally soft. Players quit on the coach and on themselves. The difference this year is that this coach has more depth on its roster and in Rochester. If any player/s succumbs to lax play they will be replaced by the more demanding coach. The going through the motion malignant mentality will not happen under this coach. 

I'm not getting carried away by this excellent start. It's very early in the season. However, what I'm not going to do is merge last year's team with this year's team. They are two distinct entities. Be brave and don't become a worrier. The trajectory is upward. 

• Like (+1) 1

Full quote:

I don’t know how many times I need to repeat it, but there are few people I’ve encountered in 25 years doing this job that have left a bigger impression on me than Krueger. If anyone has a chance to figure out how the Sabres can take the next step, I feel strongly it’s him. It won’t be rosy all year, there are challenging times ahead, but this guy has the personality and acumen to handle it.

Edited by BillsFan4

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Olofsson seriously looks like a Calder winner!

Sabres rookie Victor Olofsson sets NHL power-play goal record

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did anyone see Son of Olof being this good?

I don't watch much hockey.  I follow it, listen to it on the radio, keep up with games and videos on twitter, but rarely watch on TV.  And, being a hockey simpleton, I love a great shot and I love one timers.  I don't know why they aren't used more often...............I saw one quick video on twitter of his first goal in that prospects game last year, and I said that's my guy!  

39 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't watch much hockey.  I follow it, listen to it on the radio, keep up with games and videos on twitter, but rarely watch on TV.  And, being a hockey simpleton, I love a great shot and I love one timers.  I don't know why they aren't used more often...............I saw one quick video on twitter of his first goal in that prospects game last year, and I said that's my guy!  

Because you need to have pinpoint accuracy

These guys are playing to win but nobody wants to get hurt. . The last thing that needs to happen is a player taking a one timer up top that shouldn't be and breaking someomes jaw,, again

So most players keep it low or wait till it's clear 

What Olafsson does is amazing

Edited by Buffalo716

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because you need to have pinpoint accuracy

These guys are playing to win but nobody wants to get hurt. . The last thing that needs to happen is a player taking a one timer, that shouldn't be and breaking someomes jaw,, again

So most players keep it low or wait till it's clear 

What Olafsson does is amazing

They don't shoot it because they don't want to hurt anybody??

14 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Great overall team win today. The D was stout and kept the shooting lanes clear, Hutton brought his A game and the scorers stepped up when it was needed to put the game away.

Hopefully, they can keep it going on the West Coast trip.

i like they get this trip out of the way, then the Calgary trip out of the way early December...i don't like West coast games after Christmas in a playoff race!

Just saw Hutton post game describing Goalofsun.." hes got a whippy stick" !!! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

They don't shoot it because they don't want to hurt anybody??

They don't all try to roof it. I probably worded it poorly

You see alot of people keeping it on the ice because they don't have that elite skill to put it up top with accuracy

Edited by Buffalo716

34 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I also think that dealing Nylander for the Joker is looking like a straight-out Robbery for Botts.

All three of our defensive pairings are playing well. The coach smartly put together the veteran Miller with Dahlin and the veteran Scandella with Joki. What has impressed me the most about Joki is his poise. He is a terrific skater and passer. But the attribute that stands out for such a young player is his maturity on the ice. He never seems to be rushed and his efficient play belies his youth. The former coach of the Blackhawks, Quenneville, loved Joki. After he was fired the new coach wanted to go in a different direction. The Nylander for Joki deal was a terrific deal for us (as you noted). 

I am changing my position on Risto. We need to keep him. He is a durable big body defenseman who because of his extended playing time is  like a mule on the ice. 

The takeaway for me in this game is that all the lines played a tight game. Whenever a Dallas player got the puck he was swarmed. It should be noted that in every game we got good goaltending. Although this line wasn't involved with scoring I thought the Mitts line played well. Vesey was very active in this game. 

Olofsson made a terrific pass to Reinhart and Sobotka made a terrific pass to Skinner for their scores. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did anyone see Son of Olof being this good?

Yes. Craig Rivet who is a former Sabre and a host on WGR's Instigator Show was talking about Olofsson before the season started. He was adamant that he was going to be a first or second line player. In fact he advocated to put him on the Jack line and move either Reinhart or Skinner to the second line. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They don't all try to roof it. I probably worded it poorly

You see alot of people keeping it on the ice because they don't have that elite skill to put it up top with accuracy

Oh.  I'm not talking about roofing it - I'm talking about taking one timers...............Unless you're saying one timers usually go high.  

Our two favorite whipping boys came through today.  Scandella made the breakout pass to Eichel that ended up on Olof's stick for the first goal of the game, and Sobotka made a nifty dime to Skins and then also won the faceoff that resulted in goal #4.  Krueger is getting production out of these guys!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bbb said:

Oh.  I'm not talking about roofing it - I'm talking about taking one timers...............Unless you're saying one timers usually go high.  

Yea that was part of the point. One timers are hard to control and have an uncanny ability to rise

Players who can't control it don't use it often or make sure they keep it on the ice

Player's like oflafsson and stamkos and Ovechkin can put it high , low, far or near post. They can control it so they are put in situations to unleash it

• Thank you (+1) 1