Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

Oh my god, the similarities between what the Jets are doing now and what the Bills did two years ago are striking. How can any Bills fan criticize the Jets?

Sincerely,

ScottLaw

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/16/2019 at 12:37 PM, ddaryl said:

Well in the Jets defense it took us about 20 years to formulate that "clear" plan

having the right GM Coach combo is as crucial a finding a franchise QB.  It taking the Pegulas multiple tries with the Sabres and the Bills and they are only hoping their latest Sabres change is the one there. At least they finally go it right for the Bills so I have hope of seeing that eventually repeating with the Sabres.. I am hopeful on Krueger, Boterill worries me though...

I see the Pegulas as learning as they go. I'm very happy with the state of the Bills moving forward..  I can also see what they are striving for with both franchises and although it hasn't been as smooth as we would like I still strongly believe they will get both franchises firing well. When they get the right combos they'll stick with them and stability / Consistency will follow.

No worries at all.. Just patience mnixed in with impatient frustrations but not worried as they will get it right and they will lock it in when they do.

How, exactly, has Pegula "finally got it right for the Bills"?   The Bills landed in the 2017 playoffs only because the Colts defenders couldn't tackle Shady in a snowstorm and the Ravens defenders fell asleep on 4th and 12 at the end of the game.  The Bills won 6 games in 2018 and, frankly, are lucky they still have a healthy starting QB for the poor offensive talent they put around him.   They lost 4 games by 2 TDs or more in 2017 and 6 more by 2 TDs or more in 2018. 

Maybe the Bills will turn it around in 2019 but there's no guarantee that they will -- and no evidence that the Pegulas have learned much about building a winning football team which starts with building a competent organization.   They have certainly failed to do so with the Sabres in their seven years as owners.

• Like (+1) 1

Okay here is food for thought....

This firing is out of left field timing wise, or it "making no sense" right now is pretty universally agreed...I think

Okay, so after we laugh, which we can and should, lets take a moment to consider what the hell the straw was that broke the camels back here.

We know Johnson was on site more just to "see it for himself" apparently....

so lets speculate on how bad (realistically) it may have been behind closed doors between these guys....

(Edit: oh wait should that be its own thread or is it better here?)

Just picturing grown ass men at the jets facility screaming at each other or being held apart is a wonderful thought to comtemplate...

Im just saying I really would love to hear what the straw was that broke the camels back...

lol

Edited by TBBills Fan

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

How, exactly, has Pegula "finally got it right for the Bills"?   The Bills landed in the 2017 playoffs only because the Colts defenders couldn't tackle Shady in a snowstorm and the Ravens defenders fell asleep on 4th and 12 at the end of the game.  The Bills won 6 games in 2018 and, frankly, are lucky they still have a healthy starting QB for the poor offensive talent they put around him.   They lost 4 games by 2 TDs or more in 2017 and 6 more by 2 TDs or more in 2018. 

Maybe the Bills will turn it around in 2019 but there's no guarantee that they will -- and no evidence that the Pegulas have learned much about building a winning football team which starts with building a competent organization.   They have certainly failed to do so with the Sabres in their seven years as owners.

ScottLaw, stop posting under multiple screen names. It’s beneath you. 

?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

You can only play the games you are dealt... Why is no other team subjected to the same ***** for making the playoffs. With the Bills its (THIS ***** AND THAT *****) is the only reason they got in. THAT is how it is with every team especially for WC spots.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

The Bills landed in the 2017 playoffs only because the Colts defenders couldn't tackle Shady in a snowstorm and the Ravens defenders fell asleep on 4th and 12 at the end of the game

Interesting. We won 9 games but somehow only 2 plays got us into the playoffs. We must be the only 9 win team in history to make the playoffs. Cool.

17 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Youre a little late there bud.  Maybe you should revisit in a week or so and make a comment?

These mega-threads present challenges for me as i am often late to the party (two full-time jobs), attempting nonetheless to read through them diligently and chronologically, then sniping at posters like yourself who make silly missteps with their native (I presume) language. 

I think i was an entire day late with my post. That IS unforgivable, isn't it? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You can only play the games you are dealt... Why is no other team subjected to the same ***** for making the playoffs. With the Bills its (THIS ***** AND THAT *****) is the only reason they got in. THAT is how it is with every team especially for WC spots.

Maybe if the Bills made the playoffs more often than seventeen year cicadas hatch, maybe occasionally making them on miraculous plays wouldn't be so noticeable.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Interesting. We won 9 games but somehow only 2 plays got us into the playoffs. We must be the only 9 win team in history to make the playoffs. Cool.

The Bills beat the Colts in OT when McCoy ran for 65 yards for the winning score ... after the Bills allowed the Colts to score their only TD on a 19 play drive that took up nearly 10 minutes of the 4th quarter.  

The Bills wouldn't have made the playoffs despite Shady's heroics against Indy if Andy Dalton didn't throw a 49 yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on a fourth and 12 play with less than a minute to play to keep Baltimore from taking the final wild card slot.

I suppose I could have cited Nathan's scintillating play against the Chargers as making the Indy win and the Ravens loss necessary ... but ... probably not ...

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Adam Gase is not an effective leader. He is too ego-driven. Too self-interested. 

Strong leaders maintain integrity and accountability even during (or ESPECIALLY during) challenging or dysfunctional moments. 

Gase is too busy politicking and saving face. His draft behavior was petty and pathetic. And the Jets organization just fully endorsed that brand of tantrum.

Now I expect Gase to unsympathetically demand more integrity and accountability from his roster than he is willing to exhibit himself. Recipe for discord, if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills beat the Colts in OT when McCoy ran for 65 yards for the winning score ... after the Bills allowed the Colts to score their only TD on a 19 play drive that took up nearly 10 minutes of the 4th quarter.  

The Bills wouldn't have made the playoffs despite Shady's heroics against Indy if Andy Dalton didn't throw a 49 yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on a fourth and 12 play with less than a minute to play to keep Baltimore from taking the final wild card slot.

Yep. And we won 9 games. 9 win teams make the playoffs all the time and it always depends on other teams losses.

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

I agree with this as I'm more skeptical than most.  2017 was a weird year where we won most of our close games and got crushed in most of our losses.  However, at least the players buy into the process and play hard for McDermott.  I think the hiring of McBeane shows that they learned the importance of an organization on the same page from the top down, but I still need to see results.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

Maybe if the Bills made the playoffs more often than seventeen year cicadas hatch, maybe occasionally making them on miraculous plays wouldn't be so noticeable.

I suppose I could have cited Nathan's scintillating play against the Chargers as making the Indy win and the Ravens loss necessary ... but ... probably not ...

Now go through all other teams and similar plays in their victories. Or were the bills the only beneficiary of big plays?  

• Like (+1) 1