Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

53 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You’re technically right. But don’t the Bills have close to the most cap space next offseason? I’m not saying I wanted them to pick up the option (Id rather they try to extend him at a much cheaper price) but there’s really not much chance we get comp picks for next offseason’s moves either considering the amount of cap space that will be available. 

I'm just saying, some people seem to think that signing free agents in 2019 somehow affects possibly getting a comp pick for the loss of and Shaq Lawson and Jerry Hughes. They don't seem to realize that 2019 is 2019 and 2020 is 2020.  

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I sure did..even with a '20 buyout..he is guaranteed 9 million this year.

6.3,signing bonus 2 mill,750,000 making the roster.

Yet, you quoted an $18 million dollar contract, when it only ties the Bills the one year for half that when they had so much Cap Space they signed 17 FAs and STILL have roughly $30 million left....so, that leads me back to you the point being I don't see the logic in thinking the Bills overpaid for a TE when they needed to do three things: 1. add receiving talent for Josh Allen, 2. spend money to get their Cap floor up, 3. replace TEs since Clay was cut (the right thing to do, which seems obvious to me)…..

How is this NOT a good decision the way the contract is structured? He's had injury issues, but virtually every player has had injury issues in one respect or another. And, it gives the Bills options with a one year contract or the full three depending on how he plays. That would seem prudent, IMHO.

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm just saying, some people seem to think that signing free agents in 2019 somehow affects possibly getting a comp pick for the loss of and Shaq Lawson and Jerry Hughes. They don't seem to realize that 2019 is 2019 and 2020 is 2020.  

I agree that's weird to think that, but aren't they responding to people who are claiming we will get comp picks next offseason? I'm saying they're both wrong.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You and your complicated facts.....!

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

You’re technically right. But don’t the Bills have close to the most cap space next offseason? I’m not saying I wanted them to pick up the option (Id rather they try to extend him at a much cheaper price) but there’s really not much chance we get comp picks for next offseason’s moves either considering the amount of cap space that will be available. 

That might be true but equally they could use that space to start signing their own: Tre, Milano and Dawkins are all eligible. Depends I think where they feel the holes still are on the roster at the end of 2019.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

I agree that's weird to think that, but aren't they responding to people who are claiming we will get comp picks next offseason? I'm saying they're both wrong.

I think people are all confused on how the comp system works. So I'm just saying that people need to know what they are talking about before being rude. It's okay to be rude if you are right. If you are wrong you just look like a loser. ?

18 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Depends on the $ offered.

I don't think there will be any money offered

12 minutes ago, Ima Fan said:

Could you also give us the lottery numbers for the next three years?

Asking for a friend...

can't your friend ask?

9 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I sure did..even with a '20 buyout..he is guaranteed 9 million this year.

6.3,signing bonus 2 mill,750,000 making the roster.

Nope. The guarantees work like this:

1. $6.3m on signing. This is made up of $2.4m signing bonus spread for cap purposes across the three years $800k per year; his $1.8m 2019 base salary and $2.1m roster bonus which has already been paid.

2. $2m of his 2020 base salary which guarantees in only two scenarios: i) the Bills waiving him due to injury; ii) him being on the roster on the 5th day of the league year 2020.

3. $750k of his 2020 roster bonus which guarantees only if he is on the roster on the 5th day of the league year 2020.

That means that if the Bills want to get out of the contract after one year then unless Kroft is being waived injured the ONLY money that will have been paid to Tyler Kroft will be the $6.3m he was paid when he signed and $1.6m of that will still sit on the books as dead cap which is the 2020 and 2021 portions of that original signing bonus.

17 hours ago, Process said:

WR and DE are going to be by far are biggest, and only major, needs going into 2020

Sam linebacker.  If Lorax doesn't retire, at least the handwriting is on the wall.  Vosean Joseph is a better fit at Wil.  I also wouldn't be surprised if both Shady and Frank Gore are gone after the season.  RB could be thin.

22 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Sam linebacker.  If Lorax doesn't retire, at least the handwriting is on the wall.  Vosean Joseph is a better fit at Wil.  I also wouldn't be surprised if both Shady and Frank Gore are gone after the season.  RB could be thin.

See I think Vosean can play SAM. I really do. I know he has only played will and mike to this point but I see the skillset there to be a sam.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Depends on the $ offered.

I researched this. Since 5th year options we instituted only one player who did not have his option picked up or have his contract extended by the option expiration date, only Mark Ingram remained with the team that drafted him.  Technically he could be re-signed here, but realistically he’s gone after this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Lawson was a bust as a 1st round pick and would of been if he were a 2nd or 3rd too.

I really disagree with this.  If Lawson was a 3rd round pick he’d have a nice spot in a DE rotation as a DE3.  That’d be very reasonable for someone picked there. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are acting like those guys are Peterman!! Both guys are quality NFL players. They are borderline starters. They aren’t scrubs.

You do when said RB was ranked nearly 30 spots ahead of the next available player on your board which is what I heard yesterday. The Bills has a way higher grade on Singletary than anyone left at that pick and stuck to their board (as they said that they would).

I'm torn on whether I believe this or not.

I do believe they had Singletary rated higher, and a lot of people outside of us grumbling fans rave about the kid.

That being said, DE is such a tougher spot to fill, and we "could" be headed into next season with none.....NONE.  I'm sure that won't happen obviously, but Hughes, Murphy and Shaq are all in the last years of their deals.  I just have to believe Beane and co. have a plan... ie, extending Hughes, a trade, expected cuts etc..

I also don't believe that the staff (correctly) viewed Ferguson/Winovich as anything more than rotational DE's, so I can see the temptation to grab a potential offensive weapon over a guy that we rotate in with the second wave of our DL.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I really disagree with this.  If Lawson was a 3rd round pick he’d have a nice spot in a DE rotation as a DE3.  That’d be very reasonable for someone picked there. 

Its also all relative.  Lawson ended up having a pretty average first round rookie contract compared to that draft class.  In other draft classes he would look worse, but in his, he is average. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm torn on whether I believe this or not.

I do believe they had Singletary rated higher, and a lot of people outside of us grumbling fans rave about the kid.

That being said, DE is such a tougher spot to fill, and we "could" be headed into next season with none.....NONE.  I'm sure that won't happen obviously, but Hughes, Murphy and Shaq are all in the last years of their deals.  I just have to believe Beane and co. have a plan... ie, extending Hughes, a trade, expected cuts etc..

I also don't believe that the staff (correctly) viewed Ferguson/Winovich as anything more than rotational DE's, so I can see the temptation to grab a potential offensive weapon over a guy that we rotate in with the second wave of our DL.

You can choose to believe me or not but my information is rock solid on this. I never post what I’ve heard unless I know it to be true (or at least certain as to what they are trying to do). This is from in the room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1