Per Beane: bills still in on Ansah

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sorry, Eric.

Unnecessary commitments of cap space to try to buy the locker room are so "old Billsy".    Beane also added incentives to McCoy's contract at the same time he extended Wood.    As if he wasn't already double dipping on his Eagles contract.   How accommodating!

Fortunately McBeane inherited a franchise with few cap commitments for 2018 and beyond.   That allowed Beane to murder a mountain of Pegula bucks and play the martyr when a big chunk of that dead money was due to things like signing AJ McCarron and Corey Coleman and EWoods unnecessary contract extension etc..  

Dude, it was an extension.  That contract is given out dozens of times every year in the NFL.  But you act like it is so novel.  I just don't get it. 

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That one's easy.    

Pass.

If he goes off and turns into a DE that's worth $10M+ just franchise him and work out a longer term deal.

Let the free agency carrot bring out the best in him.........he's had some self-admitted motivation issues.

Not worth the risk of Eric Wood-ing yourself for the difference between cap and option figures when you are as cap flush as the Bills are next season.

The only place that I disagree with you is that I believe you can pull the option year prior to the start of the league year and get off scot-free.  Is that right?

EDIT: apparently yes...

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

"When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury."

Now I agree that I would not pick up his option and use it to motivate him to get the best out of him.  If, however, you had a player for which motivation wasn't the reason to not pick up the option, then I would definitely pick it up with the intention of pulling it prior to the start of the next league year if you aren't happy with the player.

Edited by thebandit27

57 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Two things to keep in mind: Bad shoulder and it's very likely he is older than they are saying. He's probably early 30's. Multiple reports saying they listed him as 2 years younger to help his draft position.

I'd much prefer a trade for Clowney if it made financial sense to do so

I don't care about either of these things if they are bringing him in on a one year, bet on yourself deal. He would be motivated to prove his health and produce to cash in when he hits free agency again next year.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The only place that I disagree with you is that I believe you can pull the option year prior to the start of the league year and get off scot-free.  Is that right?

Only guaranteed for injury..........which for a guy who has missed games every season is enough reason for me to pass on $10M+ for a rotational DE.

I also think the motivation factor of looming free agency is HUGE for Shaq.

This is a dude who still hustles to the airport after home games to spend his off day being Wooderson at Clemson.........I think he has another level of commitment in him.

I think he's a good dude at heart but needs to find that next level of commitment...........and if he does we will know because he's not talented enough to just turn it on for a season like an Albert Haynesworth.   

Once he realizes what it takes..........I think the chances are good that he can sustain whatever he builds.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I'll wait and see what Dr House has to say about his shoulder

based on Dr House's use of ambulatory aids I would predict he would put the shoulder-wrap/harness on Ansah's wrong shoulder.

Edited by cba fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

EDIT: apparently yes...

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

"When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury."

Now I agree that I would not pick up his option and use it to motivate him to get the best out of him.  If, however, you had a player for which motivation wasn't the reason to not pick up the option, then I would definitely pick it up with the intention of pulling it prior to the start of the next league year if you aren't happy with the player.

Lawson would still be motivated if they exercised the 5th year option.  It’s only guaranteed for injury, so Bills could always pull it.  I don’t see much downside in exercising the option.  If he gets hurt, Bills have more than enough cap space to absorb the $10m.  If he doesn’t raise his game, you pull the option.  If he raises his game, you control him another year for $10m. 

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Only guaranteed for injury..........which for a guy who has missed games every season is enough reason for me to pass on $10M+ for a rotational DE.

I also think the motivation factor of looming free agency is HUGE for Shaq.

This is a dude who still hustles to the airport after home games to spend his off day being Wooderson at Clemson.........I think he has another level of commitment in him.

I think he's a good dude at heart but needs to find that next level of commitment...........and if he does we will know because he's not talented enough to just turn it on for a season like an Albert Haynesworth.   

Once he realizes what it takes..........I think the chances are good that he can sustain whatever he builds.

Agreed--as I mentioned in my edit, I wouldn't pick up his option year.  I was more speaking to the idea that picking up the option doesn't tie the team into anything unless there's an injury.

I still think there's an Adrian Clayborn-type player in Shaq if he gets his poop in a group; this would be the year to do it too. 

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see what he brings to the table that sets him apart from Zo, Murphy and Lawson. 

They can get the same production from their rotation that they’d get from him. I’d rather see them grab a younger guy hungry for a shot like philips last year than spend millions on Ziggy. Best chance is a one year prove it deal and he actually stays healthy and makes an impact, I would hate to see a multi year deal though 

well..........Ansah gets sacks, so we have that going for Bills if they sign him.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see what he brings to the table that sets him apart from Zo, Murphy and Lawson. 

They can get the same production from their rotation that they’d get from him. I’d rather see them grab a younger guy hungry for a shot like philips last year than spend millions on Ziggy. Best chance is a one year prove it deal and he actually stays healthy and makes an impact, I would hate to see a multi year deal though 

Go back and watch Ziggy again. He is much better than all 3. He would be a huge upgrade if his shoulder is ok. It is a huge risk and why no one has scooped him up yet.

12 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

It makes plenty of sense if his shoulder remains a problem, unless he's willing to sign for peanuts.

The comment you responded to was about Shane Ray not Ansah.

We all know why Ziggy is unsigned.   

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That one's easy.    

Pass.

If he goes off and turns into a DE that's worth $10M+ just franchise him and work out a longer term deal.

Let the free agency carrot bring out the best in him.........he's had some self-admitted motivation issues.

Not worth the risk of Eric Wood-ing yourself for the difference between cap and option figures when you are as cap flush as the Bills are next season.

By Picking up the 5th year option of Lawson leaves the Franchise Tag Option for Jerry Hughes. 

IMO it is smart for them to pick up the non guaranteed 5th year option to leave the flexibility of the tag on Hughes if an extension can’t get worked out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

Didn't they sign an injured edge guy last off season that never amounted to much?  Why do that again?

Because the Bills pass rush  was weak last year...........and if he is healthy he is capable of putting up sack numbers that teams are paying $20M+ per season for.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

By Picking up the 5th year option of Lawson leaves the Franchise Tag Option for Jerry Hughes. 

IMO it is smart for them to pick up the non guaranteed 5th year option to leave the flexibility of the tag on Hughes if an extension can’t get worked out. 

That's an interesting point but has anyone ever used the franchise tag on ANY PLAYER who would be 32 years old that coming season?

Seems off-the-table to me.   Hard to envision a situation where Hughes wouldn't run to the table to sign that.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because the Bills pass rush  was weak last year...........and if he is healthy he is capable of putting up sack numbers that teams are paying $20M+ per season for.

That's an interesting point but has anyone ever used the franchise tag on ANY PLAYER who would be 32 years old that coming season?

Seems off-the-table to me.   Hard to envision a situation where Hughes wouldn't run to the table to sign that.

Does the age matter on a 1 year Franchise Tag deal if the player is producing?

or is it better to lock up a 32 year old player for multiple years? 

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

If.Bills were sold on Lawson, it's unlikely they'd be pressing for Ansah.

Totally different style of play and skillsets. I don't think it has to be one or the other. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Does the age matter on a 1 year Franchise Tag deal if the player is producing?

or is it better to lock up a 32 year old player for multiple years? 

There isn't precedent for it.........but it's certainly a viable question if he has a resurgent season in his walk year.

I'd be stunned if they franchised him though.........even if he put up 10 sacks........which despite good pressure numbers is a long way from what he's been able to finish in recent years.

I think they could get Hughes done for 3 years at the same guaranteed money as a 1 year franchise deal.

Not sure the 18 stats are published yet, but in 17 the Bills were 66% nickel. 

Some of us have been debating about depth at LB but it really doesn't matter that much on Game day.  Keeping 5 active is enough.  So how does this fit into the discussion about adding a DE...potentially three ways..

1) Tremaine Edmunds would be an interesting option at rush end sometimes (maybe 5-10 snaps a game) in the nickel  6'5" 250, fast....

2) Joseph, Neal and Jaquan Johnson would have to develop into a crew that the Bills trust putting at big Nickel LB

3) Put Oliver at DE in some formations--he would run circles around, under and through OTs and TEs....again this is a 5-10 snaps scenario a game max

Bills have a lot of parts on D...not sure Ansah is necessary but with  66% nickel, you need lots of alternatives at DE...including some unorthodox ones.  If Ansah can give you 20 snaps on a $5-7 million one year prove it deal -- I would be all for it.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Go back and watch Ziggy again. He is much better than all 3. He would be a huge upgrade if his shoulder is ok. It is a huge risk and why no one has scooped him up yet.

I have seen him play, he’s had a couple decent seasons... Just don’t want them to sign him up long term. 

28 minutes ago, cba fan said:

well..........Ansah gets sacks, so we have that going for Bills if they sign him.

So do Murphy and Zo, when healthy.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

And what happens when Murphy and Shaq get hurt like they regularly do?  Good depth and competition matters.  It’s just been so long since we’ve had it, we view it as overkill. We NEED another pass rushing DE if we want to take that next step.  Not saying that ansah is even good, but he’s better than Yarbrough.  I’m sure of it

As I said above I just don’t want a long term deal with him. A one year prove it is ok, anything more is a waste in my opinion as they can probably match Ansahs production in the rotation 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There isn't precedent for it.........but it's certainly a viable question if he has a resurgent season in his walk year.

I'd be stunned if they franchised him though.........even if he put up 10 sacks........which despite good pressure numbers is a long way from what he's been able to finish in recent years.

I think they could get Hughes done for 3 years at the same guaranteed money as a 1 year franchise deal.

I hear you. And agree. Just pointing out is all that by using a non guaranteed 5th year option on Shaq the bill keep maximum flexibility and risk management when it comes to Hughes 

• Like (+1) 1