Per Beane: bills still in on Ansah

13 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I have seen him play, he’s had a couple decent seasons... Just don’t want them to sign him up long term. 

So do Murphy and Zo, when healthy.

As I said above I just don’t want a long term deal with him. A one year prove it is ok, anything more is a waste in my opinion as they can probably match Ansahs production in the rotation 

Agreed.  Wouldn’t even mind a multiyear deal as long as we can cut him following the season (with minimal dead cap) if he doesn’t perform

21 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Not sure the 18 stats are published yet, but in 17 the Bills were 66% nickel. 

Some of us have been debating about depth at LB but it really doesn't matter that much on Game day.  Keeping 5 active is enough.  So how does this fit into the discussion about adding a DE...potentially three ways..

1) Tremaine Edmunds would be an interesting option at rush end sometimes (maybe 5-10 snaps a game) in the nickel  6'5" 250, fast....

2) Joseph, Neal and Jaquan Johnson would have to develop into a crew that the Bills trust putting at big Nickel LB

3) Put Oliver at DE in some formations--he would run circles around, under and through OTs and TEs....again this is a 5-10 snaps scenario a game max

Bills have a lot of parts on D...not sure Ansah is necessary but with  66% nickel, you need lots of alternatives at DE...including some unorthodox ones.  If Ansah can give you 20 snaps on a $5-7 million one year prove it deal -- I would be all for it.

Oliver on 3rd down in nickel pass rush is going to be a nightmare for other teams to deal with. Can put lawson next to him too in there

Edited by BillsSbSoon

32 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I have seen him play, he’s had a couple decent seasons... Just don’t want them to sign him up long term. 

So do Murphy and Zo, when healthy.

As I said above I just don’t want a long term deal with him. A one year prove it is ok, anything more is a waste in my opinion as they can probably match Ansahs production in the rotation 

30, off an injury- no way to a long term deal. 1 year show me deal is the safe bet here.

6 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Why don't we let Beane and his accountants worry about money and value. If a player can come in and provide impact and fit in the cap...let us be concerned with winning football games.

Mmmkay....

Past 3 Bills HC records:

McDermott 15-17

Rex 15-17

Marrone 15-17

I think it's probably better to talk about something else

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Mmmkay....

Past 3 Bills HC records:

McDermott 15-17

Rex 15-17

Marrone 15-17

I think it's probably better to talk about something else

I can go way back! It just seems like some members on here think Beane has no clue. Let him do his job...I wouldn't want it. 

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

Ansah should only come cheap on a 1 year offer. This guy reeks of someone who won't start the season, will play a game around week 3, get injured and then miss half the season rehabbing the same freaking injury he was sitting out for.

So true...we need production and good health! There must be a good and healthy DE somewhere! 

32 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Beane is literally quoted as saying the Bills AREN'T in or out on him, and the thread title is "Bills still in on Ansah"?

People like their click baity titles. Personally it drives me nuts lol. If they put half the effort in their posts as they did their titles we'd be in a golden age at tbd imo

45 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Beane is literally quoted as saying the Bills AREN'T in or out on him, and the thread title is "Bills still in on Ansah"?

“Yeah, we are (still in on trying to sign Ansah),” Beane said to WGR-550 radio. “Nothing’s done. He traveled last week to visit a team, I think it was Baltimore. So yes, still talk, staying in touch with his agent, and so… there’s nothing to report. We’re not in on it yet, we’re not out of it yet.”

Bills still 'in' on free agent DE Ziggy Ansah

12 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

People like their click baity titles. Personally it drives me nuts lol. If they put half the effort in their posts as they did their titles we'd be in a golden age at tbd imo

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Only guaranteed for injury..........which for a guy who has missed games every season is enough reason for me to pass on $10M+ for a rotational DE.

I also think the motivation factor of looming free agency is HUGE for Shaq.

This is a dude who still hustles to the airport after home games to spend his off day being Wooderson at Clemson.........I think he has another level of commitment in him.

I think he's a good dude at heart but needs to find that next level of commitment...........and if he does we will know because he's not talented enough to just turn it on for a season like an Albert Haynesworth.   

Once he realizes what it takes..........I think the chances are good that he can sustain whatever he builds.

I believe we’ll have a better understanding of the Shaq situation by the end of the week. Beane said as much, getting to him after the Draft. It’s a big one as it will significantly increase his cap hit to stay, just to have to pay more next offseason, should he ‘break out’ at that high paying position. For me, that’s the deal breaker. He finally was satisfactory last season. But satisfactory isn’t what gets you big buck$. We’ve had 3 years with this 1st rounder, and your point of  lack commitment in & out of the lockeroom, to me spells the end. 

There’s still the June 1st Cuts thing, right? If nothing else, he can be replaced with another satisfactory DE.

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I believe we’ll have a better understanding of the Shaq situation by the end of the week. Beane said as much, getting to him after the Draft. It’s a big one as it will significantly increase his cap hit to stay, just to have to pay more next offseason, should he ‘break out’ at that high paying position. For me, that’s the deal breaker. He finally was satisfactory last season. But satisfactory isn’t what gets you big buck$. We’ve had 3 years with this 1st rounder, and your point of  lack commitment in & out of the lockeroom, to me spells the end. 

There’s still the June 1st Cuts thing, right? If nothing else, he can be replaced with another satisfactory DE.

Exactly. How much time does he need...Murphy as well. Now many will argue that the addition of Oliver will free up opportunities for Murphy and Lawson. I just do not see it...perhaps a marginal difference. They just don't have it...sorry to say, they are not good enough plain and simple. These guys are holding up the rebuild.

Edited by Rocket94

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Exactly. How much time does he need...Murphy as well. Now many will argue that the addition of Oliver will free up opportunities for Murphy and Lawson. I just do not see it...perhaps a marginal difference. They just don't have it...sorry to say, they are not good enough plain and simple.

This from a top NFL defense last year

PPL really seem to forget this....the bills did NOT HAVE A BAD DEFENSE LAST YEAR

Christ

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This from a top NFL defense last year

PPL really seem to forget this....the bills did NOT HAVE A BAD DEFENSE LAST YEAR

Christ

Idk what your/their criteria is, but I hope it isn’t the nfl ranking based on yards against. We were run on like we were short handed. We were passed on like a drunk hooker at a frat party. Because the offense was pathetic until Josh returned from injury, our opponents seemed to always win the T/O and field position battles ie:short drives for scores.

No, it wasn’t “bad” in a very broad sense, but it wasn’t Good specifically.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see what he brings to the table that sets him apart from Zo, Murphy and Lawson. 

They can get the same production from their rotation that they’d get from him. I’d rather see them grab a younger guy hungry for a shot like philips last year than spend millions on Ziggy. Best chance is a one year prove it deal and he actually stays healthy and makes an impact, I would hate to see a multi year deal though 

Ansah is way better than Murphy in all phases of the game.  He’s also a much, much better pass rusher than Shaq.  He would give us a better and deeper DE rotation.  It would also protect us in the event one is injured.  The rotation would certainly be much better with him in it. 

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

After this season there will be millions of options between draft and free agency. And of course there could be options before the season depending on cuts and practice squads. I wouldn’t hate the signing, unless they gave out a multi year deal. 

It depends on the deal.  Not sure what you are thinking, but other options will not be plentiful next year.  How many better options were out there this year?  How many were within the Bills’ reach?  With Hughes and Lawson currently set to be free agents we are looking for 3 quality DEs for 2020, including at least one difference maker and preferably two.  I’d like to retain Hughes as one, but I don’t know how likely that is.  Ansah is a productive DE who has been a very effective pass rusher.  Right now all we have is Hughes in that regard.  Ansah could really improve our anemic pass rush, especially with Oliver getting pressure up the middle.  

Edited by BarleyNY

I am interested to see what this position brings over the next year or so. McDermott seemed to have a type in Carolina, long armed tall and heavy guys. That isn't Hughes, or Shaq, or Eddie Yarborough. He inherited a lot of what is here outside of Murphy. 

I don't love Ansah, but he seems to be the prototype of what coach wants. 6-5, 271, 35 inch arms and twitched up athleticism. Long limbed, tall athletic guys. Now he did have Charles Johnson for years who was solid and similar in size to Shaq. 

My point is, this is the last position to be overhauled. Secondary, linebackers, and interior d line have been overhauled into what coach is looking for. DE really hasn't been touched aside from the Murphy addition, and so I wonder if they even bother bringing back Shaq or Hughes, because neither of them fit and it gives him the opportunity to overhaul the position instead of tying money into guys he doesn't really love. I might be wrong as Carolina put a ton of time into scouting Shaq Lawson a few years back. But I think they might want to remake the position next. I do wonder if they are still having discussions on Clowney, but they only have 6 picks next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Idk what your/their criteria is, but I hope it isn’t the nfl ranking based on yards against. We were run on like we were short handed. We were passed on like a drunk hooker at a frat party. Because the offense was pathetic until Josh returned from injury, our opponents seemed to always win the T/O and field position battles ie:short drives for scores.

No, it wasn’t “bad” in a very broad sense, but it wasn’t Good specifically.

points against?  What about this?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/stats-the-numbers-behind-the-bills-no-1-ranked-defense

Edited by John from Riverside