RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Haha i know.  

I don’t know how well he will do at pass catching, they didn’t throw many balls to him.  But we can always pair him with a 3rd down receiving back if need be.  

But hes got exceptional vision and feet

I think pass catching RBs really take a lot of pressure off the OL, QB, and WRs altogether. Makes an RB so much more valuable if he's at least not a dud in that area. Can replace the TE routes on 3rd and short passing plays as a safety blanket. And Josh Allen may work well on broken plays with a smart RB working the space for the dump throws.

6 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I really want to like the guy, but I just don't think he has the speed for his style of running. Check out these highlights against OU. For his style of running, he won't be able to hit the outside runs, NFL LBrs are too fast. Sure he can make some fast cuts, but there is no top gear.

I sure as hell hope he proves me wrong. I highly doubt him being drafted means the end of Shady.

There's a lot to like, but this rather cements my view from earlier - I'm just not seeing the power to succeed in the NFL.  Good footwork, low CG, good balance, great lateral cut and first step.  But he doesn't look like someone who's going to turn nothing into three yards when the OL gets stood up at the line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

When that 4.66 guy is being chased by that 4.46 guy you can certainly see it.

He ran a 4.66 on one specific day. You do not know the circumstances around that time. Maybe he is human and didn’t have a great day. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

When that 4.66 guy is being chased by that 4.46 guy you can certainly see it.

I agree, but I'm hoping they see his vision as what this team needs to excel.  If they don't block for him, he's a negative player/bust almost guaranteed.  

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Kroft has 67 career catches in 4 NFL seasons and missed most of last year.  He's essentially on a 1 year deal IIRC. 

I'm not arguing that Kroft is a TE1, I'm arguing that there were no solid TE's left on the board. All projects and role players. Seems you forgot to include any remaining TE prospects that could contribute more than Singletary in your reply.

• Like (+1) 1

I was pretty ticked when I first saw this pick with my boy Chase Winovich still on the board and then to top it off the patriots took him a few picks later but after watching this film study I feel a lot better 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68QgsRlhQwI&t=307s

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-deep-dive?page=1

Edited by NeverOutNick

Just now, SDS said:

He ran a 4.66 on one specific day. You do not know the circumstances around that time. Maybe he is human and didn’t have a great day. 

The problem with judging players on metrics is that they're not absolute: they're moments in time, which may be at either end of the bell curve at that given time.  But people treat them as absolute...since they're measurables, and easy to compare risk-free.

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

I agree, but I'm hoping they see his vision as what this team needs to excel.  If they don't block for him, he's a negative player/bust almost guaranteed.  

Well it's a good thing we acquired 7 new OL this offseason.

13 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Daboll most recently coached at Alabama and new England, both teams utilize multiple rbs

If they dump Shady and Gore next year then what a great year of learning for Yeldon and the kid to learn from 2 of the best also. Gore has awesome pass blocking technique and that is a premium skill if you have a single back offense. I also think we have the cap space so why not groom a replacement now and next year you have one less gap to fill. BPA means competition. I like competition. This team will be better if it pushed harder from within. 

Edited by Locomark

Really like this pick. Exciting player. He is so fun to watch!  Bills fans ar going to love watching this kid run. He’s a touchdown and highlight reel machine. 

I was hoping the Bills would draft a good young RB. We needed one, and you may as well take advantage of having 2 future hall of fame RBs to learn from while we still have them (assuming both stay). 

I love that the Bills are focused on building an offensive line and run game for Allen. He still has a ways to go as a passer. Building a good o line and run game will help his development (IMO). 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Teams win in the NFL with passing the ball.  This guy isn't the typical 3rd down back who makes catches out of the backfield.  Perhaps he wasn't asked to, but spending a 3rd on a slow RB from a non power 5 conference who's around 200# I would expect he could do that.  

One gets the impression McD is building this team like it was 1980.  It's a bold strategy Cotton.  

Crap. A Thurman / Faulk style eliminates the need for a great TE and works wonders on broken plays. Don't terribly mind the speed. Just want JA to get his dynamic safety blanket.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Yep, just a snapshot in time. 

Just now, DC Tom said:

The problem with judging players on metrics is that they're not absolute: they're moments in time, which may be at either end of the bell curve at that given time.  But people treat them as absolute...since they're measurables, and easy to compare risk-free.

Is that the way a judge says watch him, he's not fast

Dont you see what we are doing- Last generation:    Kelly, Bruce Smith- Jim Richer/Kent Hall/Thurman Thomas and the next Andre Reed/Pet Metzelaars? 

This Dynasty:   Allen (last year) Oliver - Ford- Singletary  next WR and TE