Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TC in St. Louis

Marquise Brown vs. Tavon Austin

Recommended Posts

Hate to bring up the draft that got us EJ Manuel, but what got us that pick plus the one we used for Kiko (eventually Shady) was with the Rams.  They loved Tavon Austin so much that they busted a move to get him.  

 

Personally, I think the trade was even worse for the Rams than the one we made for Sammy Watkins.  They aren't sufficiently ridiculed for this.  Perhaps it's because we drafted EJ Manuel, which was ultimately worse than Austin.

 

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  

 

Pass.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Hate to bring up the draft that got us EJ Manuel, but what got us that pick plus the one we used for Kiko (eventually Shady) was with the Rams.  They loved Tavon Austin so much that they busted a move to get him.  

 

Personally, I think the trade was even worse for the Rams than the one we made for Sammy Watkins.  They aren't sufficiently ridiculed for this.  Perhaps it's because we drafted EJ Manuel, which was ultimately worse than Austin.

 

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  

 

Pass.  

Marquise Brown showed me ball skills on film, he'll make contested catches. He can run routes and get a lot of seperation. He's my #2 WR after AJ Brown. Didn't really look at AJ Brown much early on but he is a complete WR. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 2013 class was so bad, it’s hard to fault anyone in that draft. I don’t think there were any guys with a first round grade that year. 

 

Even though Austin didn’t live up to expectations he was still one of the best picks in the first round that year.

Edited by billspro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Marquise Brown showed me ball skills on film, he'll make contested catches. He can run routes and get a lot of seperation. He's my #2 WR after AJ Brown. Didn't really look at AJ Brown much early on but he is a complete WR. 

I don’t think his hands are that good. Saw him drop a lot

 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/marquise-brown?id=32194252-4f41-3218-bf76-54f4042e0396

 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/marquise-brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Hands are average. But he does a great job tracking the ball and can make contested catches. His size won't stop him IMO, even though he's small. I don't care much about height and weight anymore for WR's. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, billspro said:

The 2013 class was so bad, it’s hard to fault anyone in that draft. I don’t think there were any guys with a first round grade that year. 

 

Even though Austin didn’t live up to expectations he was still one of the best picks in the first round that year.

 

We have two guys on our roster from the first round.  Star and Tyler Eifert.  If we get Ansah make it three.  The guy we don't have is EJ Manuel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billspro said:

The 2013 class was so bad, it’s hard to fault anyone in that draft. I don’t think there were any guys with a first round grade that year. 

 

Even though Austin didn’t live up to expectations he was still one of the best picks in the first round that year.

Best player with the ball in his hand that year. Problem was getting the ball in his hands. I was high on him, but he couldn't run routes in college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

 

We have two guys on our roster from the first round.  Star and Tyler Eifert.  If we get Ansah make it three.  The guy we don't have is EJ Manuel.

 

Wrong Tyler from Cincinnati. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me more of Desean Jackson than Tavon Austin.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

 

We have two guys on our roster from the first round.  Star and Tyler Eifert.  If we get Ansah make it three.  The guy we don't have is EJ Manuel.

We acquired Eifert?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Hate to bring up the draft that got us EJ Manuel, but what got us that pick plus the one we used for Kiko (eventually Shady) was with the Rams.  They loved Tavon Austin so much that they busted a move to get him.  

 

Personally, I think the trade was even worse for the Rams than the one we made for Sammy Watkins.  They aren't sufficiently ridiculed for this.  Perhaps it's because we drafted EJ Manuel, which was ultimately worse than Austin.

 

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  imo

 

Pass.  

 

Agree, hard pass. Feather weight, goes down when someone sneezes on him, Lisfranc foot injury (could be signs of more to come), concentration lapses/drops, invisible in bigger games.

 

A legit speedster with the ball in his hands, but not enough to gamble an early pick to acquire IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, billspro said:

The 2013 class was so bad, it’s hard to fault anyone in that draft. I don’t think there were any guys with a first round grade that year. 

 

Even though Austin didn’t live up to expectations he was still one of the best picks in the first round that year.

He wasn't even the best receiver on his team.  Bailey put up far better numbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a stretcher and multiple carts in his future.  No thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown doesn't remind me of Austin.

Austin's game was side-to-side quickness, agility, lateral movement. He has never been and still isn't a true wide receiver. More of a jet sweep motion guy and "offensive weapon" if you want to call him that.

Brown, on the other hand, is a true wide receiver. He's somewhere between DeSean Jackson and Marquise Goodwin. His calling card is straight line speed. He will take the top off a defense. 

I'm not for drafting Brown because we have two of him already in John Brown and Robert Foster, but best of look to whoever drafts him in keeping him healthy.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hollywood is a fine prospect, but he's not among my top 5 WRs and I don't think he's a particularly good fit here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, WideNine said:

 

Agree, hard pass. Feather weight, goes down when someone sneezes on him, Lisfranc foot injury (could be signs of more to come), concentration lapses/drops, invisible in bigger games.

 

A legit speedster with the ball in his hands, but not enough to gamble an early pick to acquire IMO.

The foot injury is enough to scare me away from a 1st rounder. If he lasts until the 2nd, okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Logic said:

Brown doesn't remind me of Austin.

Austin's game was side-to-side quickness, agility, lateral movement. He has never been and still isn't a true wide receiver. More of a jet sweep motion guy and "offensive weapon" if you want to call him that.

Brown, on the other hand, is a true wide receiver. He's somewhere between DeSean Jackson and Marquise Goodwin. His calling card is straight line speed. He will take the top off a defense. 

I'm not for drafting Brown because we have two of him already in John Brown and Robert Foster, but best of look to whoever drafts him in keeping him healthy.

I really like Brown but as far as why you wouldn't draft him, I think your assessment was an extremely fair and honest explanation. I'd take him regardless but i totally think your thinking is incredibly logical.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Reminds me more of Desean Jackson than Tavon Austin.

This 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo, Brown is a much better player.  Austin was a gadget player.  Brown seems like a legit receiver.  But it makes me nervous taking a guy with that size that high.  His best bet is to go to a team with a good sized number 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we already have 2 legit speed WR's.......what we need now are large targets that can do something with the ball after they catch it.

 

Hock is really starting to grow on me

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

we already have 2 legit speed WR's.......what we need now are large targets that can do something with the ball after they catch it.

 

Hock is really starting to grow on me

Yup.  We have a bunch of 2,3,4 receivers.  We need a number 1 at both receiver and TE.  I could get behind Hock and/ or Butler/ Harry in the 2nd round.  We aren’t good enough in the passing game yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming out Austin was a utility player in college.  Brown has been a traditional Wr for the most part.  I think it's a lazy comparison due to his size.  Deshaun Jackson is a more accurate one due to the style of play and frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got speedsters. What we need is a big, traditional #1 guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

 

We have two guys on our roster from the first round.  Star and Tyler Eifert.  If we get Ansah make it three.  The guy we don't have is EJ Manuel.

 

Those are pretty basic players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  We have a bunch of 2,3,4 receivers.  We need a number 1 at both receiver and TE.  I could get behind Hock and/ or Butler/ Harry in the 2nd round.  We aren’t good enough in the passing game yet. 

We're not good enough at stopping the run and rushing the passer either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...