The Bisons need to hook up with a better Major League Org

...or at least one that has better minor league prospects or minor league organization.

Junior aside Buffalo and their stadium still are the jewel of the minor leagues and since Cleveland let Buffalo go, wherein they had 8 playoff appearances in their first 10 years together, Buffalo has now missed the post season 13 years in a row (3 with Cleveland, 4 with the Mets, 6 with the Blue Jays).  Additionally, year 14 is off to a shaky start.

I know proximity is important, but it is very frustrating that we can't hook up with somebody that has a reasonably run minor league program.  13, soon to be 14 years is a ridiculous time to go without a post season bid, but more directly, not to have a competitive team in Triple A.  Only 3 times during this stretch have they won 75 or more games, not once have they won 80 and they have never finished in 2nd during this stretch.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

Its tough.  They had it so good with Cleveland, and before that, Pittsburgh. 

Winning in minor leagues has become so secondary too.  Everything is on a pitch count, it seems the players dont care about winning... and games are nothing but peripheral events that happen to occur while something else is going on like Star Wars Day.  The games themselves stink, and the "playoffs" are usually skeletal versions of the team after the MLB September call-ups happen.

And, prepare to feel old, but Pilot Field is no longer the crown jewel of the Minors, nor the International League.  It is actually the oldest IL ballpark I believe.  Cleveland pulled out of Buffalo in part because Columbus was opening a nicer facility (and they wanted to regionalize a bit in Ohio).

I think Toronto may be a decent team to partner with, based on how they are forced to perpetually rebuild.  The Bisons just caught them at a point where they were actually trying to compete for a few seasons and emptied the cupboard.  Proximity is good as well.

• Like (+1) 1

@May Day 10

Good points and a good post.  Thank you.

I was there on opening day in 1988, May Day, and I was there last year.  She is still the belle of the ball in the minors.

Additionally, winning may be secondary, but somebody has to win and somebody is winning.  I just know it is never the Bisons.  Please keep in mind that while lauding Toronto we now are with an organization that has provided us with 6 straight non-playoff season, likely going on 7, and they haven't even fielded a winning record since 2014.

Yeah, as much as I was a huge Bisons fan back when I lived there, minor league baseball isn't about winning/losing games. It's for developing individual skills in game settings. A farm systems success isn't based on wins/losses, but how many players come through the system and become successful players in the show. 

If you want to see good teams, get with a small market MLB team. They need to pair someone that relies more on their farm system than free agent players. That's why were were so good with Cleveland, and terrible with the Mets and Blue Jays. Cleveland's move to Columbus was just as much about the new stadium, as it was about expanding their fanbase to Columbus, which was about half Reds half Indians.

Although we're not the best facility in the minors anymore, we're still up there, despite the age of our stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

Bichette Jr?  Biggio?  Those are top prospects.  Bichette Jr is ranked in the top 10.  I go for the prospects on the Bison's or the visiting team.  I really don't care if the Bison's make the playoffs.

The Blue Jays lost a lot of prospects making a run at it a few years back.  It depleted the entire system.  They seemed to have learned from their mistakes and are currently one of the best systems.  It takes time though.  Most young studs are in A, A+, or Double A ball, not AAA.  You get brief stints of young guys in AAA, that's about it.  Hard to compete W/L wise in the minors when your best guys are getting called up in their teens and early 20s.  I don't think AAA W/L is a reflection of the minor league system at all really.  Its more a reflection of major league depth and lack of injuries.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

it was very significant and influential in its time.  It transitioned from the multi-purpose boxy ballparks of the 70s (and skydome) to the retro-craze, which brought us Camden Yards and Jacobs Field, among others, which spun into many ballparks that have a modern/retro look.

Its nice, but it is wearing down a bit and showing its age.  Some of these ballparks going up now are breathtaking, even at a Class A level.... although a cant speak from a standpoint of players' facilities.  I do have experience with the past working for the Bisons, but no idea comparatively.  Pilot Field is also too big for AAA baseball.  By a good margin, it is the largest AAA ballpark, and more often than not, it feels cavernous and sparsely populated.... whereas elsewhere, 10,000 people is a sellout and people get excited and might get into the game.

Charlotte's looks amazing

BBT_Ballpark_1.jpg

IMG_KNIGHTS_BULLS_003.JP_5_1_DQ2BS206_L5

Columbus

Huntington_-_Behind_The_Net_Right_Upper_

Indianapolis (awesome grassy, picnic style GA area through the outfield)

636035057990097568-Victory-Field-Anniver

El Paso

cut.jpg

Durham Athletic Park (the Bull in left field)

tmg-article_main_wide_2x.jpg

Orem Owlz

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Pilot Field grabbed minor league baseball by the scruff of the neck, and said “This is how you do it!”  Subsequent parks in subsequent cities had the bar raised by Buffalo’s stadium.  And after watching some of the shenanigans in politics and developments in WNY in the 60s and 70s, I was truly amazed how governments and private sectors pulled together to make the ballpark a reality.

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm not a Phillies fan, I feel the Phillies are one of the MLB teams that gets their minor league "experience" right consistently. I believe the Reading/Philadelphia affiliation is the oldest affiliation in all of minor league baseball.  That certainly has built a consistent following.   The Iron Pigs play in a absolute gem of a ballpark.  

Both their AA and AAA teams are often tops in attendance and they appear to make very strategic decisions on who manages the team.  It's not a new person every year.  There's some consistency in the corporate knowledge and the program so yo usually get some decent baseball.  

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

it was very significant and influential in its time.  It transitioned from the multi-purpose boxy ballparks of the 70s (and skydome) to the retro-craze, which brought us Camden Yards and Jacobs Field, among others, which spun into many ballparks that have a modern/retro look.

Its nice, but it is wearing down a bit and showing its age.  Some of these ballparks going up now are breathtaking, even at a Class A level.... although a cant speak from a standpoint of players' facilities.  I do have experience with the past working for the Bisons, but no idea comparatively.  Pilot Field is also too big for AAA baseball.  By a good margin, it is the largest AAA ballpark, and more often than not, it feels cavernous and sparsely populated.... whereas elsewhere, 10,000 people is a sellout and people get excited and might get into the game.

Wasn’t the reason Pilot Field so large because we thought Bob Rich Jr. was going to buy the Expos and move ‘em here?  The place was built so it could be expanded to 40,000 in  one off-season.

As I recall, Rich balked at the $85M price tag, and things fell apart.

Imagine if you could buy an MLB team for $85M today!!!

10 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Wasn’t the reason Pilot Field so large because we thought Bob Rich Jr. was going to buy the Expos and move ‘em here?  The place was built so it could be expanded to 40,000 in  one off-season.

As I recall, Rich balked at the $85M price tag, and things fell apart.

Imagine if you could buy an MLB team for $85M today!!!

He was shooting for the Rockies/Marlins expansion. (would have been in place of the Rockies because the state of FLA was all but guaranteed a team.)

Buffalo was basically among 3 finalists for the other expansion team.  The expansion fee was $95 Million which gave Bob Rich cold feet.  It was probably a good thing because the players salaries skyrocketed at about that point.

The stadium was built so the roof can be removed for a large 3rd deck, and the Right Field seats were going to be much more expansive.  I think it would have seated 40k?

It is lesser-known, but the Riches had some informal talks at the time about moving the Giants here to become the "New York Giants".

Buffalo was actually falsely reported to have been awarded an expansion team in 1969 along with San Diego.  Montreal was awarded that team instead.

Edited by May Day 10

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

He was shooting for the Rockies/Marlins expansion. (would have been in place of the Rockies because the state of FLA was all but guaranteed a team.)

Buffalo was basically among 3 finalists for the other expansion team.  The expansion fee was $95 Million which gave Bob Rich cold feet.  It was probably a good thing because the players salaries skyrocketed at about that point.

The stadium was built so the roof can be removed for a large 3rd deck, and the Right Field seats were going to be much more expansive.  I think it would have seated 40k?

It is lesser-known, but the Riches had some informal talks at the time about moving the Giants here to become the "New York Giants".

Good info - thanks.

I don’t think WNY baseball fans could support a major league team with today’s ticket prices multiplied by 81 home games.  (We barely support the Bisons.)

Glad the Giants thing didn’t happen.  They love ‘em out in the Bay area, and I enjoyed going when I lived there.

(Plus, everyone would be referring to the NY ‘Baseball’ Giants and the NY ‘Football’ Giants)

You should probably consider yourself lucky the Jay's are their affiliate because the guys in charge care more about their minor league prospects and system then they do the major league team. Also, IIRC, the guys currently in charge of the Jay's are the guys who were in Charge of the Indians for some of their time being the Bisons parent club). The Jay's have one of the top farm systems in the MLB (atleast that's what Jay's fans keep telling anyone who dares complain about the product currently on the field)

Minor league baseball isnt about winning or losing, it's about player development and preparing guys for the majors or storing depth until needed. AAA is also the level which is mostly made up with guys fighting to make the MLB transition, older players trying to work their way back into the majors, or MLB players rehabbing injuries. Teams better young prospects are usually held at the AA level longer because of the competition. 

Lower level sports is always cyclical too, they may be good for a few seasons, but then those players get moved up and the team usually goes bad for a few years while the new crop.of talent gets better, then they get called up.

Bisons fans should feel lucky, the Jay's management is doing everything they can to leave 'The Saviour/Great One' down in AAA as long as possible........

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Its tough.  They had it so good with Cleveland, and before that, Pittsburgh. 

Winning in minor leagues has become so secondary too.  Everything is on a pitch count, it seems the players dont care about winning... and games are nothing but peripheral events that happen to occur while something else is going on like Star Wars Day.  The games themselves stink, and the "playoffs" are usually skeletal versions of the team after the MLB September call-ups happen.

And, prepare to feel old, but Pilot Field is no longer the crown jewel of the Minors, nor the International League.  It is actually the oldest IL ballpark I believe.  Cleveland pulled out of Buffalo in part because Columbus was opening a nicer facility (and they wanted to regionalize a bit in Ohio).

I think Toronto may be a decent team to partner with, based on how they are forced to perpetually rebuild.  The Bisons just caught them at a point where they were actually trying to compete for a few seasons and emptied the cupboard.  Proximity is good as well.

Sahlen stadium is definitely the crown jewel of minor league baseball stadiums 

It is by far the biggest ballpark and they average the most attendance and it’s still a pretty park

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

BBT_Ballpark_1.jpg

Columbus

El Paso

cut.jpg

Orem Owlz

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

I live about 10 minutes drive from Roger Dean Stadium these days.  This is in Palm Beach County, FL.  

It hosts FOUR different baseball teams, including 2 "A" ball teams.

It is also Spring training headquarters for the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals.

It is a small stadium but quite nice and clean, situated in the middle of a nice housing development area.

https://rogerdeanchevroletstadium.com

roger-dean-stadium.jpg

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sahlen stadium is definitely the crown jewel of minor league baseball stadiums 

It is by far the biggest ballpark and they average the most attendance and it’s still a pretty park

I disagree.  And I believe they were 5th or 6th in IL attendance last season, with about half-capacity as an average.  Paid tickets dependably average roughly 8K/game for the Bisons.

It is still considered a nice ballpark, but many have exceeded it with amenities, site lines, comfort, and backdrop.  The 190 and industry isn't real pretty of a backdrop now that the envelope has been pushed by most of these places, (and no large scale development has happened S and E of the Ballpark.)

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I disagree.  And I believe they were 5th or 6th in IL attendance last season, with about half-capacity as an average.  Paid tickets dependably average roughly 8K/game for the Bisons.

It is still considered a nice ballpark, but many have exceeded it with amenities, site lines, comfort, and backdrop.  The 190 and industry isn't real pretty of a backdrop now that the envelope has been pushed by most of these places, (and no large scale development has happened S and E of the Ballpark.)

‘Rome wasn’t built in a day and Buffalo will not be rebuilt over night either 

this city was in a major downward spiral for close to half a century... it’s on the up and up finally

29 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

8k? That is close to competing with both Florida MLB teams......

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

BBT_Ballpark_1.jpg

Columbus

El Paso

cut.jpg

Orem Owlz

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

May Day...not gonna lie...I dig some of those houses!

I want to go to the ball park right now!

:lol:

AAA baseball has changed a lot in the 30 years since Pilot Field opened. Lots of top prospects skip the level entirely and those who do play AAA ball tend to not play there very long.  In that way it matters less about the quality of the farm system and more on the quality of the non-prospect roster players and fringe MLB pitchers at the AAA level. For better or worse, the AAA is the least relevant level to the parent club now.

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

AAA baseball has changed a lot in the 30 years since Pilot Field opened. Lots of top prospects skip the level entirely and those who do play AAA ball tend to not play there very long.  In that way it matters less about the quality of the farm system and more on the quality of the non-prospect roster players and fringe MLB pitchers at the AAA level. For better or worse, the AAA is the least relevant level to the parent club now.

Yup. AA ball is where it's at. I live in NH where the Eastern League Fishercats play, the stop below Buffalo.  Many of our players skip AAA and head right to Toronto.

IMG_5858-900x506.jpg

I did have a thought. If the Pegulas ever build a stadium with a roof downtown, would it be worth having a baseball configuration just to play the first 6 weeks of the season indoors?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yup. AA ball is where it's at. I live in NH where the Eastern League Fishercats play, the stop below Buffalo.  Many of our players skip AAA and head right to Toronto.

IMG_5858-900x506.jpg

I did have a thought. If the Pegulas ever build a stadium with a roof downtown, would it be worth having a baseball configuration just to play the first 6 weeks of the season indoors?

I dont think so, multi sport stadiums are being phased out, too many issues with sightlines and field conditions to worry about. If things are really bad for them to start the season, they would be better off asking the league to front load their schedule with away games or renovate the stadium to add a roof or enclosed areas to block the weather.

This got me thinking, is there a minor league team that plays in an indoor stadium?

18 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

To me, the degradation of the "competition" of minor league baseball is a big problem and an existential threat to baseball being as prominent as it is 50 years from now.  

Minor league baseball is solely trying to lure groups of people to the ballpark with Star Wars, Game of thrones, 1-hit wonder trivia, BPO, etc.  Baseball is such a secondary thing now, if not, it is like 4th or 5th in importance.  They have ripped teams from small-town America and put them in places like Brooklyn, Staten Island, etc.  

Even being a fan of MLB is frustrating if your team isnt the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, or Dodgers.  

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont think so, multi sport stadiums are being phased out, too many issues with sightlines and field conditions to worry about. If things are really bad for them to start the season, they would be better off asking the league to front load their schedule with away games or renovate the stadium to add a roof or enclosed areas to block the weather.

This got me thinking, is there a minor league team that plays in an indoor stadium?

Opening Day was a tradition for me, my dad, and my brother till I moved. We asked an executive one particularly cold opener, why they can't just have all the Southern teams open the season at home, and give us an extra week to week and a half to warm up. He said the league rules state that teams alternate on opening at home every year. We all agreed that we'd like to forfeit our rights to opening the season. This is how college baseball works. I have season tickets to UH, and the first month and a half, we have four games a week, almost always against some barely D1 team from up North.

I don't know about minor league, but I read they're thinking about converting the Carrier Dome so Syracuse University could play baseball indoors. 

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

To me, the degradation of the "competition" of minor league baseball is a big problem and an existential threat to baseball being as prominent as it is 50 years from now.  

Minor league baseball is solely trying to lure groups of people to the ballpark with Star Wars, Game of thrones, 1-hit wonder trivia, BPO, etc.  Baseball is such a secondary thing now, if not, it is like 4th or 5th in importance.  They have ripped teams from small-town America and put them in places like Brooklyn, Staten Island, etc.  

Even being a fan of MLB is frustrating if your team isnt the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, or Dodgers.  

Yea because the Yankees win World Series all the time now...

Houston has built a very good squad...

20+ teams in the MLB do not care about competing... the Yankees and Sox and Cardinals do

90% Of every male athlete in America still grows up playing baseball at some level.. I have about 10 fields within a few miles of my house and they are packed every summer 

On 4/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Opening Day was a tradition for me, my dad, and my brother till I moved. We asked an executive one particularly cold opener, why they can't just have all the Southern teams open the season at home, and give us an extra week to week and a half to warm up. He said the league rules state that teams alternate on opening at home every year. We all agreed that we'd like to forfeit our rights to opening the season. This is how college baseball works. I have season tickets to UH, and the first month and a half, we have four games a week, almost always against some barely D1 team from up North.

I don't know about minor league, but I read they're thinking about converting the Carrier Dome so Syracuse University could play baseball indoors. 

It would be interesting to see a minor league team indoors cause I cant think of any that do it already. I'm thinking its cost because for a facility the size of what is needed for attendance to a minor league game, the cost for an indoor facility would be much higher then a really nice outdoor one. Also, the trend in baseball now is to go back to outdoor venues and not play indoors anymore. Although the trend my be swinging back the other way with some of the newer facilities being built or proposed as being partially covered. I think most of that is due to weather, with the southern teams looking to get out of the extreme heat that can be had in the warmer areas with an outdoor park.

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

20+ teams in the MLB do not care about competing... the Yankees and Sox and Cardinals do

90% Of every male athlete in America still grows up playing baseball at some level.. I have about 10 fields within a few miles of my house and they are packed every summer 

Yeah, minor league baseball has to do the extra promotions to lure people in for a few reasons. Minor league sports just arent the same draw as pro sports, and with people having less disposable income to go around, its tougher to get them to part with that money. Baseball is also a sport that is losing alot of popularity, lots of kids may play it, but its losing its appeal. It's got a reputation of being boring and not requiring people to be athletic.

The big problem with MLB today is that you are correct, theres probably about 20 teams right now in 'rebuilds' or in areas where their owners have put strict budgets in place because of a rebuild, or because of low attendance. FAs are mad because they arent getting what they want money wise, or teams dont want to hand out the longterm deals anymore unless your one of the few elite. The window can be short for a player because there is such large minor league system, the average player may not see the majors til the are atleast 25, and may not become a regular player until their late 20s. By the time they put in their years to become a FA, they are in their 30s and teams dont want to give long term high cost deals to someone that old.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Rich waving around the blank check, and then subsequently dropping out was a mistake.  IMO, it's hard to say because no one sees their books or know how they cook the books but...even the teams with the worst attendance still make money because of the TV contracts.

Back to the topic, there is no excuse for the continued lack of success for this franchise.  Do it with up and coming players, do it with career minor leagues, do it with over the hill MLB'ers, or do it with a combination of all of the above, but start putting winning teams on the field.  

This franchise has become so much of a joke, that I wonder if the Pegula's secretly bought them several years back.

Edited by LabattBlue

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm just talking about the ability (or willingness) to compete every year, or most years, with limited down-time.  Not just looking at payroll.

Houston had to go through like 6 or 7 years below .500 including some awful seasons (some worse than 110 losses I think?).  

It is about being able to keep the talent and your best players.  I'm an Indians fan.  They got a quick compete-window in 2008-ish and immediately had to sell off players Sabathia, V Martinez, etc.  Now, i am going to have to see it again (it has already been happening) as Bauer will be gone soon, and Lindor and Ramirez wont be too far behind.  Then hopefully they reload within the next 8 years or so.  IMO there needs to be a better salary structure in MLB to allow teams to maintain and afford their best players... if not force some of the stingy owners to spend toward a cap floor.

As far as participation.  My experience is (being involved in U7 baseball and other sports presently), all kids seem to play teeball and younger age groups, as it is a very convenient thing right there in every town.  We have a very large enrollment for the little kids... however, I gaze to the older age group's diamonds and they are often not active (when I played in the 80s and early 90s, the fields would be mobbed every day).  

The way USA Baseball is, whether its the Little League Organization, Babe Ruth, etc is light years behind USA Hockey and USA Soccer.  

USA Hockey and Soccer have certified coaches and programs.  You attend one of those practices, even for little kids, there are lesson plans and qualified coaches running skills clinics for basic skills development.  The kids are always moving and have fun.

Baseball is fractured into various independent entities.  Coaches are normally volunteer dads who arent necessarily qualified.  They think practice is throwing the kids out into the field to pick dandelions and throw batting practice for an hour.  "Games" consist of kids each getting like 2 at bats and the kids who arent the 1 or 2 most aggressive on the team may get to handle the ball 1 or 2 times in the infield per "game".  Im noticing by the time they are about 8 or 9, many kids seem to be moving on to other sports.  

37 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I'm just talking about the ability (or willingness) to compete every year, or most years, with limited down-time.  Not just looking at payroll.

Houston had to go through like 6 or 7 years below .500 including some awful seasons (some worse than 110 losses I think?).  

It is about being able to keep the talent and your best players.  I'm an Indians fan.  They got a quick compete-window in 2008-ish and immediately had to sell off players Sabathia, V Martinez, etc.  Now, i am going to have to see it again (it has already been happening) as Bauer will be gone soon, and Lindor and Ramirez wont be too far behind.  Then hopefully they reload within the next 8 years or so.  IMO there needs to be a better salary structure in MLB to allow teams to maintain and afford their best players... if not force some of the stingy owners to spend toward a cap floor.

As far as participation.  My experience is (being involved in U7 baseball and other sports presently), all kids seem to play teeball and younger age groups, as it is a very convenient thing right there in every town.  We have a very large enrollment for the little kids... however, I gaze to the older age group's diamonds and they are often not active (when I played in the 80s and early 90s, the fields would be mobbed every day).  

The way USA Baseball is, whether its the Little League Organization, Babe Ruth, etc is light years behind USA Hockey and USA Soccer.  

USA Hockey and Soccer have certified coaches and programs.  You attend one of those practices, even for little kids, there are lesson plans and qualified coaches running skills clinics for basic skills development.  The kids are always moving and have fun.

Baseball is fractured into various independent entities.  Coaches are normally volunteer dads who arent necessarily qualified.  They think practice is throwing the kids out into the field to pick dandelions and throw batting practice for an hour.  "Games" consist of kids each getting like 2 at bats and the kids who arent the 1 or 2 most aggressive on the team may get to handle the ball 1 or 2 times in the infield per "game".  Im noticing by the time they are about 8 or 9, many kids seem to be moving on to other sports.  

Baseball is still HUGE in my areas. No shortage of teenagers

of course there will always be the disinterested kids at 8-9 and the coaches of kids playing who don’t Know nothing

you Need to get into a good organization. I was lucky I played in a phenomenal organization. Multiple coaches were professional and collegiate players and they developed a whole group of kids in my age group to become collegiate and pro players

i never had any bad coaching 

52 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, minor league baseball has to do the extra promotions to lure people in for a few reasons. Minor league sports just arent the same draw as pro sports, and with people having less disposable income to go around, its tougher to get them to part with that money. Baseball is also a sport that is losing alot of popularity, lots of kids may play it, but its losing its appeal. It's got a reputation of being boring and not requiring people to be athletic.

The big problem with MLB today is that you are correct, theres probably about 20 teams right now in 'rebuilds' or in areas where their owners have put strict budgets in place because of a rebuild, or because of low attendance. FAs are mad because they arent getting what they want money wise, or teams dont want to hand out the longterm deals anymore unless your one of the few elite. The window can be short for a player because there is such large minor league system, the average player may not see the majors til the are atleast 25, and may not become a regular player until their late 20s. By the time they put in their years to become a FA, they are in their 30s and teams dont want to give long term high cost deals to someone that old.

That might be its “reputation” but that is a joke.

Baseball players are phenomenally athletic. The average player is 6’2 190 pounds and can fly

Centerfielders are world class athletes , not to mention the coordination to hit a 95mph fastball 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Baseball is still HUGE in my areas. No shortage of teenagers

of course there will always be the disinterested kids at 8-9 and the coaches of kids playing who don’t Know nothing

you Need to get into a good organization. I was lucky I played in a phenomenal organization. Multiple coaches were professional and collegiate players and they developed a whole group of kids in my age group to become collegiate and pro players

i never had any bad coaching 

Where are you located?

In WNY, the season is way too short.  It stinks. I have a friend on FB in NC with a 9yo and they seem to be able to play like 3/4 of the year.  Here, its May and June, then that is it.  Even a FB on Long Island seems to get a lot more time than we get.

We are in a little league.  I have looked around for more "magnet" type teams/organizations, but cant find any... at least for kids this young.  I played in the same org as a kid, and I felt we had much better coaches and we had some really good teams and players (on the WNY scale).

Oddly enough, despite my grumpiness, my kid really likes playing baseball

Edited by May Day 10

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Where are you located?

In WNY, the season is way too short.  It stinks. I have a friend on FB in NC with a 9yo and they seem to be able to play like 3/4 of the year.  Here, its May and June, then that is it.  Even a FB on Long Island seems to get a lot more time than we get.

We are in a little league.  I have looked around for more "magnet" type teams/organizations, but cant find any... at least for kids this young.  I played in the same org as a kid, and I felt we had much better coaches and we had some really good teams and players (on the WNY scale).

Oddly enough, despite my grumpiness, my kid really likes playing baseball

I understand that the south gets more field time and I’m still in WNY.... the thing is high level baseball doesn’t care about region... If you go to New Era baseball school they practice rigorously 6-7 months out of the year

if you go through their school till your SR year of high school you will be a college baseball player. Probably D1

they have the coaching, the facilities, the resources and the exposure 

they get kids drafted 

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That might be its “reputation” but that is a joke.

Baseball players are phenomenally athletic. The average player is 6’2 190 pounds and can fly

Centerfielders are world class athletes , not to mention the coordination to hit a 95mph fastball 

I wont disagree

I do believe it is more of a game that relies a bit more on strategy then athletic ability though.

People think they dont have to be athletic because they aren't constantly moving and spend periods of time standing around or sitting on the bench.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wont disagree

I do believe it is more of a game that relies a bit more on strategy then athletic ability though.

People think they dont have to be athletic because they aren't constantly moving and spend periods of time standing around or sitting on the bench.

Of course some DH sluggers can have big bodies and not look the most athletic 

but it still takes a ton of ability to be a world class hitter

it is DEFINITELY a Game Of strategy 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wont disagree

I have always played baseball.  At roughly the age of 33, i started to tear muscles every season to some degree, the worst of which a complete acl/mcl tear.  This is amateur baseball at the tune of maybe 30-40 games in a season.  

The game is absolutely brutal on the joints.  So much stopping/starting.  Rest, action, change direction, etc.  Playing 162 has got to be tough.  

Im 40 now, and for the most part stopped playing.  I play hockey now more often and its a breeze as far as muscle/joint injuries.  It definitely gets the heart pumping more, but im yet to suffer a non-skeletal injury playing hockey.  

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I have always played baseball.  At roughly the age of 33, i started to tear muscles every season to some degree, the worst of which a complete acl/mcl tear.  This is amateur baseball at the tune of maybe 30-40 games in a season.  

The game is absolutely brutal on the joints.  So much stopping/starting.  Rest, action, change direction, etc.  Playing 162 has got to be tough.  

Im 40 now, and for the most part stopped playing.  I play hockey now more often and its a breeze as far as muscle/joint injuries.  It definitely gets the heart pumping more, but im yet to suffer a non-skeletal injury playing hockey.  

So true, alot more start/stop, short bursts/movements, but a wide variety of movements for the entire game.

The say that pitching is really bad because the motion used to pitch is not a 'natural motion' the body was designed for, and why pitchers can go through many arm injuries in their career, especially when speeds are exceeding 100 mph.

My dream scenario is a complete destruction of the minor league affiliation system and MLB salary structure. (Mind you, I realize there are 100 holes that can be poked in it and it would require a lot of planning and re-structure).

Full-on Promotion-Relegation system, but with financial benefits for minor league clubs to house younger prospects from MLB.

It would be great if games all across the country, everywhere meant something... meant a lot.