Joe Marino (Locked on Bills): Two names he is hearing in 1st for Bills: Jonah Williams, DK Metcalf

First let me say if they take Jonah ahead of Jaawan Taylor I would be a little more than massively irritated...

But honestly I'm assuming Taylor goes somewhere 1-8...

That being said...If he's there...It's going to be DK...?

I really have no idea...Just trying to think this thing into reality...?

3 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Thanks for your insightful post.  It is much appreciated.  

I think it was as insightful as every single pre draft article ever written by anyone

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Metcalf is more of a superlative athlete than a football player. He wasn't even the most productive receiver on his own team. If the Bills wanted to use their first round pick on a receiver I would prefer Hockinson who not only is a receiving threat but also is a good blocker. Metcalf has a very limited route tree. I would rather use a second round pick on a receiver who is more adept at running routes and getting open. 

That’s kind of my point on Metcalf. He is RAW. Josh Allen was the same type of prospect. Edmunds was the same type of prospect. They were both physical freaks with questions about their production. Beane wasn’t looking for “solid” guys with a long track record. He was looking for guys that COULD become great. Metcalf is a dice roll but would fit how Beane handled last year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I really don't see the value, in this draft at least, to pick up a 2nd for moving from the 12-15 range to 9. Honestly, it might net us a 3rd.

I think teams trading up in that area are moving up to get the QB of their choice.  You have to pay a premium for that.  Take a look at our trade-ups last year and AZ's for Rosen.  They all paid a premium when evaluated against the trade value charts.

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe Metcalf is an option based on how Beane handled last year. He swung for the fences twice in the first. He took raw players with huge ceilings and pretty low floors. Metcalf is that player in this draft. I feel like Jonah is the exact opposite. He’s a safe player that will be good but never great.

Someone please explain why Metcalf is a “low floor” prospect.  How is he not going to be at least a WR 2 level player in the NFL?  I think this “low floor” stuff is just a mindless cliche that people apply to uber-talented players who, for whatever reason, did not put up huge numbers in college.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His arms are like 1/8 inch shorter than Dillard and people aren’t questioning him at OT. I mean I just think if a guy can play he can play. 

I think Jax is going to take him though

Actually Williams arms are 1/8 longer than Dillard's. Dillard's are actually shorter. Both come in at under 34 which is a problem for a lot of NFL people. No one says that about Dillard, which is weird. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

43 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Agreed. Unless you're getting the next AJ Green or Julio Jones, NONE of these WRs are worth a top 10 pick.

You guys aren't looking at DK productivity when he DID play. If his medical history is positive, look for the Bills to draft the most explosive WR in the draft

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of my point on Metcalf. He is RAW. Josh Allen was the same type of prospect. Edmunds was the same type of prospect. They were both physical freaks with questions about their production. Beane wasn’t looking for “solid” guys with a long track record. He was looking for guys that COULD become great. Metcalf is a dice roll but wild fit how Beane handled last year.

And then look how they set up the WR going into the draft with how they approached FA. They don’t even need Metcalf to come in right away and be “the guy.” We all need to remember the draft is to build the team for now and the future. He’s here 5 years at least if they take him in the 1st. He could end up lethal with Allen, and they may not he able to ignore his potential.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Someone please explain why Metcalf is a “low floor” prospect.  How is he not going to be at least a WR 2 level player in the NFL?  I think this “low floor” stuff is just a mindless cliche that people apply to uber-talented players who, for whatever reason, did not put up huge numbers in college.

Lack of short area quickness would be my answer. He graded historically low in those drills (while his size is an obvious reason). Additionally, he’s coming off of a major injury and has the body of an alien. He may be destined for an injury-filled career.

With that being said I am fine with DK. I like to roll the dice. Oliver is still my first choice but wouldn’t be mad with DK as he has a chance to be a legit #1 which is what the Bills are missing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't love either of these guys. I'd be pretty dissapointed with either. If Williams is not a sure thing at LT then I don't want him in the top ten. If that's where they are going to play him and feel like he is going to be elite, fine.  Metcalf is a reach there and a little too boom or bust for me. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd be a bit dissapointed. I think this entire draft process has been a massive smokescreen for who they really want, and that's probably TJ Hockenson or somebody we are thinking about like Byron Murphy. I still think it's Oliver or Sweat. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Here’s the medical on Metcalf:

DK Metcalf (wide receiver, Mississippi State) wowed the nation with his shredded appearance and 1.6% body fat that we indicated, if true, was unsustainable to actually play football but could also be a measurement inaccuracy. Either way, the low body fat is easily corrected and shouldn’t be an issue. However there are questions about his neck, which required surgery and caused him to miss the second half of the 2018 season. In reviewing the video, Metcalf does not suffer a catastrophic neck fracture. He likely has a fusion at one level to treat disc herniation and/or ligamentous instability. Many players have continued their career from a single level fusion surgery. This does put increased stress on the level above and below, but in and of itself does not preclude football or amount to much of a medical downgrade. If he needed a second level fused, that indeed would jeopardize his career. He should be well healed by now. He also had a foot injury as a freshman, though there is not much information regarding that injury. The bigger issue might not be medical but his poor performance on agility drills compared to his measurable, which were off the charts.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-04-21/profootballdoc-nfl-draft-medical-issues-dk-metcalf-rashan-gary

8 minutes ago, cage said:

I think teams trading up in that area are moving up to get the QB of their choice.  You have to pay a premium for that.  Take a look at our trade-ups last year and AZ's for Rosen.  They all paid a premium when evaluated against the trade value charts.

I'm looking at the empirical charts that are calculated from previous trades, which are far more accurate than the JJ chart, and the draft class itself. This class is nowhere close to the QB class last year was. It's more reminiscent of 2017, perhaps (where KC gave a future 1st (2nd in value) and a 3rd to go from 27 to 10). Moving up from the early teens to 9 is very unlikely to net a 2nd. Not with this draft class.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't love either of these guys. I'd be pretty dissapointed with either. If Williams is not a sure thing at LT then I don't want him in the top ten. If that's where they are going to play him and feel like he is going to be elite, fine.  Metcalf is a reach there and a little too boom or bust for me. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd be a bit dissapointed. I think this entire draft process has been a massive smokescreen for who they really want, and that's probably TJ Hockenson or somebody we are thinking about like Byron Murphy. I still think it's Oliver or Sweat. 

Dude, I’m trying to eat

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here’s the medical on Metcalf:

DK Metcalf (wide receiver, Mississippi State) wowed the nation with his shredded appearance and 1.6% body fat that we indicated, if true, was unsustainable to actually play football but could also be a measurement inaccuracy. Either way, the low body fat is easily corrected and shouldn’t be an issue. However there are questions about his neck, which required surgery and caused him to miss the second half of the 2018 season. In reviewing the video, Metcalf does not suffer a catastrophic neck fracture. He likely has a fusion at one level to treat disc herniation and/or ligamentous instability. Many players have continued their career from a single level fusion surgery. This does put increased stress on the level above and below, but in and of itself does not preclude football or amount to much of a medical downgrade. If he needed a second level fused, that indeed would jeopardize his career. He should be well healed by now. He also had a foot injury as a freshman, though there is not much information regarding that injury. The bigger issue might not be medical but his poor performance on agility drills compared to his measurable, which were off the charts.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-04-21/profootballdoc-nfl-draft-medical-issues-dk-metcalf-rashan-gary

Thanks Yolo

Just now, the skycap said:

You can get serviceable, even great DL later in draft(see Kyle Williams). 

Kyle Williams was drafted in 2006 and didn't become a Pro Bowl DT until 2010.  You want to take a DT like Khalen Saunders in the 3rd and wait 5 seasons for the lightbulb to turn on and they become a Pro Bowler?

40 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Bengals call us and offer pick #72 to go from #11 to #9.  Take Haskins, Broncos take Lock at 10, Giants give us a nice package to go from 17 to 11 to get Jones.  Profit.

Nice scenario. Giants hold the cards. I also don't see Metcalf going past GB @12.