The Dutch!

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

How in the world can a jet fighter shoot itself??

Perhaps Plaxico Burress was the pilot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Thanks to this one, all I can think of now is the Russian sub sinking itself in Hunt for Red October.

Easy now.

The Vulcan canon is an internal gun.

A round can cook off in the firing process.

By the way. Strafing with the Vulcan, 20mm rounds at 6000  per minute, (100/sec) is really fun.

Line up the gunsite on the HUD.

Squeeze the trigger on the stick for about two seconds.

Get off the trigger before you hear anything.

Hear the "bzzzzzzzz" as the gun fires, airplane yaws left.

Roll 120 degrees and fly over the school bus just as it explodes.

No holes.

The thing explodes. 

A nine foot by nine foot wall of high explosive incendiary does interesting things.

Go Hoos.

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Misaligned gun, high-g maneuver, round misfires/cooks off somehow.  It happens.

I remember reading a story from Adolf Galland, about his ground crew working on the synchronization of his machine guns firing through the propeller.  He took the plane up, fired a few rounds, got some really bright flashes and thought "Man, my ground crew really did a great job!"  When he landed and shut down, only then did he notice that each propeller blade had a big chunks shot out of it - his crew screwed up the synchronization, and he almost shot himself down.  

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Misaligned gun, high-g maneuver, round misfires/cooks off somehow.  It happens.

I remember reading a story from Adolf Galland, about his ground crew working on the synchronization of his machine guns firing through the propeller.  He took the plane up, fired a few rounds, got some really bright flashes and thought "Man, my ground crew really did a great job!"  When he landed and shut down, only then did he notice that each propeller blade had a big chunks shot out of it - his crew screwed up the synchronization, and he almost shot himself down.  

And now I'm thinking of Sean Connery manning the gun in Last Crusade.  Why does this thread make me think of so many movies?

How long did it take until they decided to move the guns away from the propellers?  I don't really know a thing about the designs of planes from that or any other era, but it just seems like there's way too much that can go wrong easily.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

And now I'm thinking of Sean Connery manning the gun in Last Crusade.  Why does this thread make me think of so many movies?

How long did it take until they decided to move the guns away from the propellers?  I don't really know a thing about the designs of planes from that or any other era, but it just seems like there's way too much that can go wrong easily.

When they got rid of propellers.  :D

When semi-monocoque construction and cantilevered wings started being used, there started being enough volume and strength in the wings to think about mounting machine guns/cannon there.  Mostly, it was up to national preference, and where the guns would fit - Germany and the Soviet Union preferred centrally mounted armament, but tended to build more compact planes with less room in the wings.  The US and Britain preferred wing-mounted - both countries built some massive planes that could mount heavy gun armament in the wing leading edges.  Italy and Japan often went for a mix - light machine guns through the propeller arc and cannon in the wing, or such.

Those weren't hard and fast rules, though (the P-39 was a compact US plane with a big-ass gun firing through the propeller hub, for example.)  More rules of thumb.  And it all became moot with the advent of turbojets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

How?  Dutch!

Wooden shoes.  Wooden head.  Wouldn’t listen...?