The Dutch!

17 hours ago, DC Tom said:

When they got rid of propellers.  :D

When semi-monocoque construction and cantilevered wings started being used, there started being enough volume and strength in the wings to think about mounting machine guns/cannon there.  Mostly, it was up to national preference, and where the guns would fit - Germany and the Soviet Union preferred centrally mounted armament, but tended to build more compact planes with less room in the wings.  The US and Britain preferred wing-mounted - both countries built some massive planes that could mount heavy gun armament in the wing leading edges.  Italy and Japan often went for a mix - light machine guns through the propeller arc and cannon in the wing, or such.

Those weren't hard and fast rules, though (the P-39 was a compact US plane with a big-ass gun firing through the propeller hub, for example.)  More rules of thumb.  And it all became moot with the advent of turbojets.

How common were the two seaters like in the previously mentioned Last Crusade?  Like I said before, I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, but it's always very interesting once you and sherpa get going on the topic.

16 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-where-to-find-pipe

I went and re-bought the first game just so I could go and kill that bastard.

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

How common were the two seaters like in the previously mentioned Last Crusade?  Like I said before, I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, but it's always very interesting once you and sherpa get going on the topic.

I'd have to go back and watch, I forget what model plane that was.

That was more of a WWI-era observation plane.  Generally, by WWII you didn't have two-seat figters (with some exceptions - radar-equipped night fighters, and some bad British ideas.)  But they weren't unheard of, for army cooperation or tactical recon roles.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, Seasons1992 said:

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

How in the world can a jet fighter shoot itself??

UPDATE: it was a ricochet from a strafing run.