Ed Oliver to visit Buffalo

wppete

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

A rumor on a website I never heard of before is Atlanta will trade up with Detroit for Ed Oliver and Detroit will drop back for Hockenson

https://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit-lions-trade-2019-nfl-draft/ddrysdale/detroit-lions-news/03/28/2019/202370/

These types of scenarios are why Beane would consider a move up. If your draft plans are targeting very specific players, you need to move around the board in the early round(s). Many disagree with spending multiple picks when a player “ will probably  still be available” in the original slot. However , sitting still can backfire too. The Bills missed out on Ted Washington for their Super Bowl run in the 90’s by a single pick when the 49ers drafted him . It would have been nice to have his run stuffing capabilities instead of Wright. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, it’s probably good he’s slightly undersized because you know he’s going to gain at least 20 lbs from Buffalo food.

i would love Oliver.  I think he will be a stud if he gets to play with real talent.  Then get an offensive weapon and o lineman. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I seriously doubt the plan is to make small moves in the middle of the draft. 

Then what picks would you suggest that they use to make a bigger move?  Yes, they have 3 extra picks this year, but those extra picks are: late 4th, early 5th and a 7th.  That won’t buy much of a big move.  As I said in the post that you replied to, their 2nd + 3rd might get them into the back end of round 1 and adding in both 4ths would only move them a little further into the first.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Then what picks would you suggest that they use to make a bigger move?  Yes, they have 3 extra picks this year, but those extra picks are: late 4th, early 5th and a 7th.  That won’t buy much of a big move.  As I said in the post that you replied to, their 2nd + 3rd might get them into the back end of round 1 and adding in both 4ths would only move them a little further into the first.

One draft is not enough to establish a pattern, of course, but Beane was proactive in last yrs draft, so I expect if there are blue chip players he covets, he will move around to get a player. Maybe a trade ends up involving a combination of players and picks. He could move back and then trade back up, but if they really like a top five player, that strategy is out. I simply don't think he's going to sit and let the draft come to him in the first three rounds.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Top 5 seems pretty set with

CARDINALS-KYLER MURRAY
NINERS-NICK BOSA
JETS-JOSH ALLEN
RAIDERS-QUINNEN WILLIAMS
BUCS-DEVIN WHITE

It gets murky after that with the Giants, Jaguars and Lions who are most rumored with Jawaan Taylor, Montez Sweat, Rashaan Gary, TJ Hockenson, Ed Oliver, Greedy Williams, Johnah Williams and Ed Oliver

I am not so sure about the Raiders. While the Raiders do appear to like Q, they are not even set yet on a DT since Hall and Hurst did more than adequately. They are quite smitten with Devin White.  And even if they decide to go DT, there are still people there more in love with Ed Oliver than Q. There is also a small chance, Gruden might go QB.

Bottomline 4-8 are unclear yet. While agree with your 1-3 though as of now, there is still a serious possibility of the Giants trading into it to get a QB.

I think Detroit is set on a TE. Hope nobody trades up with them. That means we still have a realistic shot at Ed Oliver or Q at 9 or a trade down. Would love to have a trade down with Miami, Atlanta or Redskins for an extra 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

One draft is not enough to establish a pattern, of course, but Beane was proactive in last yrs draft, so I expect if there are blue chip players he covets, he will move around to get a player. Maybe a trade ends up involving a combination of players and picks. He could move back and then trade back up, but if they really like a top five player, that strategy is out. I simply don't think he's going to sit and let the draft come to him in the first three rounds.

I think that we agree then, only difference of opinion is our perception of their trade up “capital”.  I can get behind going after a player that they believe is much better than other remaining options, but I would have to think hard before giving up their 2nd ot 3rd round picks to move up into the back 25% of the first round.  

From my my vantage point, I’d reserve the extra picks in 4th, 5th and seventh for moving around back into late day 2 or for moving in the 4th/5th round area if they think there are one or two day 2 players that lingered into day 3.  I think in the 1st and 2nd, where they ar3 picking, they will have multiple good prospects to select from, but on early day 3 (or late day2), there might be a small number of players that they like a lot  more than the majority of the remaining players.

Just my $.02 worth.

• Like (+1) 1

Back to Oliver, I can see the quickness and have no issue with his effort, but his arms are not very long and his height is below average and he is very underweight for even a 3T in the NFL.  Now, other than arm length I could see him before being a better DE prospect than anyone outside of Bosa, Allen and maybe Sweat.  

On 3/30/2019 at 9:53 AM, LEBills said:

A rumor on a website I never heard of before is Atlanta will trade up with Detroit for Ed Oliver and Detroit will drop back for Hockenson

https://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit-lions-trade-2019-nfl-draft/ddrysdale/detroit-lions-news/03/28/2019/202370/

Hmmm. If Atlanta does that we should just take Hockenson at #9 and be done with it. LOL!