Gettleman - idiot or genius?

eball

12 hours ago, mcdamit said:

he might trade the 17th pick for Rosen, That would complete phase one of the rebuild.  

If he likes him enough to trade a 1st for him, why didn't he pick him outright last year.   He obviously didn't think

he was "his guy" at that position.  If he trades for him now, he is more of an idiot than he already is proving to be.

57 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

The Manning stance, IMO, is being dictated by ownership. Mara seems to love being grouped in with the Rooneys as old guard, “classy” owners who respect tradition, act as stewards of the game, etc., blah blah blah. At least that is how media usually groups and describes them. Mara may view that bailing on the long-time franchise QB who hails from one of the league’s royal families and delivered 2 championships as uncouth.

of course that attitude is backward AF in today’s NFL and has done them much more harm than good. Bellicheck figured this out a long time ago. He has zero loyalty to players and gives exactly zero **** about how that’s perceived. 

You may be right and it might be the owner who wants to keep Manning. But then in the last years draft, Gettleman decided to build the offense with that #2 pick at RB instead of a QB or trading back as many teams wanted to move up to that #2 spot and the Giants refused to move. (Luckily for Buffalo :P)

Manning wasn't really all that bad last season but he was sacked 47 times, 97 QB hits which were 11th worst and Gettleman did bolster the line with Solder at LT and a rookie at LG. What's odd is the sacks were actually worse in 2018 as the 2017 line only allowed 34 sacks, 70 QB hits the previous year as they went 3-13. 

Now, consider that the only two pro bowl players on defense for the Giants last year were SS Landon Collins who is now a Redskin that the Giants got nothing for, edge rusher Olivier Vernon at LBer who is now a Brown and was a straight up trade with Cleveland for RG Kevin Zeitler.  A Pro Bowl pass rusher for a RG? I don't get it! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

He's trying to build what Beane has built in Buffalo. All bussiness , everybody is 1/11 and instill that culture . OBJ has been a locker room problem for the Giants . I feel his hands were tied but I don't understand the extension if  they were planning this. 

He called out the coaching in November - maybe it’s Shurmer who wants him off the team 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think the NYG are getting rid of the malcontents. We make fun of McDermott and his "process" but the reality is every team in the NFL has a process.  

Just like all of our workplaces, sometimes there are personalities that are toxic and divisive that regardless of production, just have to go.  

IMO, I think a growing number of teams would rather suffer the losses than put up with "personalities".  They aren't worth the trouble.  

They let an all pro safety in his mid 20s walk. He was a pros pro, team captain, and played his ass off on a crappy team. Don't give me this crap...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

If he likes him enough to trade a 1st for him, why didn't he pick him outright last year.   He obviously didn't think

he was "his guy" at that position.  If he trades for him now, he is more of an idiot than he already is proving to be.

They may not have liked him enough to take him at 2, but at 17 this year that might be a move they want to make.

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They may not have liked him enough to take him at 2, but at 17 this year that might be a move they want to make.

This is the thing though, if Rosen was a guy Gettleman felt was a franchise guy, taking him at 2 is what he should 

have done.  Rosen was widely considered to be a guy that would be in the top 10-12 in the draft.  Trading for him

now seems like desperation to me.  Which they might be.

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I honestly don’t think the OBJ trade hurts them or makes them go into “tank” mode. 

I do however think they got hosed on the deal. They could of gotten better compensation for him. That said, they have some decent receivers and a pretty exciting young tight end to use, and Barkley is obviously a monster. 

Where I think Gettleman is an idiot is his use of their cap, they gave out sickening contracts. In the end though, I don’t think having OBJ makes their offense that much better. It’s Barkley’s team now. 

I don’t think they’ll be all that good this year, but Barkley, Sheppard’s, and Engram isn’t a terrible group to have on the field. 

The offensive line is trash and Eli is gonna get killed either way since he’s a statue, that’s the big problem for them 

A first a 3rd and a starting strong safety is dar more compensation than what OBJ was worth. The Giants fleeced the Browns. Just the opposite in how Oakland fleeced Pittsburgh. 

14 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

This^^  He may have been great ( I think over rated) but he didnt win them anything substantial and I think he was trying to muscle his way out of NY just like AB.  If a diva starts sniffing around might as well ship him asap.  Its just weird trying to leave NY to be with your buddy in Cleveland

Only way it makes sense is if they need to trade for a Qb.  Why sign a guy to a massive deal and pull the plug still in the first year without a trap door.  

Obviously, this is a rebuild, and it looks like tanking is part of the process in Giantland.  When teams rebuild, it's hard to judge based on looks.  Things can look real bad and then improve quickly.  Whether Gettleman eventually gets it turned around, it looks real bad right now.

Not real sure but he for sure didn't help Eli at all !! If he has a plan he must be a mad scientist because i don't seem the Giants being very good this year because although i'm not a huge fan of Beckhams he was a talented player & him & Barkley would have been a good pair to build around on offense .

Time will tell !!! 

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Olivier Vernon at LBer who is now a Brown and was a straight up trade with Cleveland for RG Kevin Zeitler.  A Pro Bowl pass rusher for a RG? I don't get it! 

Vernon had a huge contract and the Giants desperately need help on the OL, so that trade I understand.

Much like the Bills did two years ago, the Giants are purging expensive guys who they don't see as being key contributors in two years when they emerge from the rebuild.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Vernon had a huge contract and the Giants desperately need help on the OL, so that trade I understand.

Much like the Bills did two years ago, the Giants are purging expensive guys who they don't see as being key contributors in two years when they emerge from the rebuild.

I look at these moves as not very good for the team unless by some magic they think they can upgrade cheaper through the draft. Buffalo and other teams haven't been able to do this in forever.

Vernon might have been 19 mill against the 2019 cap with a salary of 15 mill for this year and the next. While I get that they don't like that cap hit, then why not restructure and keep their only edge rusher that is worth a damn. This trade leaves a huge hole on the defense that is very tough to fill. While they are getting a slight upgrade at RG a pro bowl player edge rusher for an average right guard still seems like a bad move to me. 

Then letting pro bowl SS Landon Collins leave without getting anything in return and he went to a hated division rival in the Redskins!

7 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

They let an all pro safety in his mid 20s walk. He was a pros pro, team captain, and played his ass off on a crappy team. Don't give me this crap...

This!

Collins was due a salary of 10 mill per with a cap hit of around 14 mill. This isn't about malcontent players that aren't motivated to play their best (like Dareus)or players who missed all or most of the season with injuries (like Watkins). This is all about purging the roster of expensive players regardless of the impact of losing them.

How on earth do you trade away a 26-year-old superstar WR like Odell Beckham Jr and keep a 15 year NFL QB who has taken his team once to the playoffs in the last decade who is making 22 mill per with a cap hit of 23 mill. 

I would have kept Collins, Vernon, Beckham and dumped Manning. The NY Giants had the #2 overall pick last year with Gettleman and took a RB over a QB. This year they have the #6 overall pick and the #17 overall from the Browns. 

Bills fans aren't the only people who are having a difficult time seeing a bright future for the NY Giants,  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022315/article/odell-beckham-jr-trade-fallout-ny-giants-plan-hard-to-see?icampaign=trendingNews

It's frankly hard to see what the Giants' plan is, unless they have one more dramatic move in their future. In the space of a handful of days, they have given up on three of the most talented players on their team -- Landon Collins, Olivier Vernon and now Beckham -- and for their troubles, they got a starting guard (Kevin Zeitler), the Browns' first-round draft pick (No. 17 overall), a late third-round pick (No. 95) and safety Jabrill Peppers, a former first-rounder.

There is plenty of time to question whether that is adequate compensation -- and for that matter, why they didn't trade Collins last season rather than letting him go for nothing. What is unquestionable is that the Giants' attempt at a competitive rebuild should be over. These moves make a modicum of sense only if the next one is the one they dread most of all. What is the point of keeping Manning -- no matter how much better the offensive line should be at protecting him -- if you just took out of his arsenal one of the most dangerous receivers in the game?

Dunno about you, but I'm very happy the Bills have Beane and the NY Giants have Gettleman. 

7 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Only way it makes sense is if they need to trade for a Qb.  Why sign a guy to a massive deal and pull the plug still in the first year without a trap door.  

I just feel like at the time they had to, but the relationship only got worse and I doubt it was going to get better the way the team is run. They kept his value up and moved him asap

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see how this can be a genius move. 

First you pass on Darnold in a very strong QB class IMO. Sure they got Barkley which I think would've been great if Eli was about 5 years younger and this was a good short term move but if he had half a brain and was thinking long term, he would've taken a QB. Now they're forced to draft a QB in a noticeably weaker QB class (and this year is another decent RB class), and on top of that, they take away the young QB's best asset in Beckham. He says he has a plan and this is a part of it. IMO this is a very idiotic plan. 

I love the Markus Golden signing though. I’d take him over Vernon who he was able to get a big time and much needed Guard for. Golden Tate is kind of redundant with Sterling Sheppard skill set but Corey Coleman can stretch the field if he ends up working out for them  and I assume they will draft a WR pretty high. The whole key for them is Qb. It will be very interesting to see what they do. They really are probably treating Eli like a bridge guy, and will either draft one, trade for a young guy like Rosen, or wait one more year and take one next year. I’m not all that down on what the giants are doing tbh.

He was clearly actively shopping OBJ and my suspicion is that it was Schurmer who felt the situation, whatever it was, was going to get worse rather than better and might as well take the 1st rd pick while they could get it before it turned into an AB thing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio