FA OT Jake Fisher converting to TE, will work out for Bills

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This would, historically, be a new but typical way for the Bills to abuse the wasteland that has been TE on their roster.

Is it really this difficult to find an actual TE who is better than barely mediocre??

If the Bills are still planning not to make the TE position an offensive threat (again), then just stick with the crew they already have under contract and call it a day.

They put six on the line even at midfield. With a real O line man (context ) becoming a real threat to option to is awesome in Dabolls book (guessing)

the questions are

Can he chip block well ?       He sure could learn.
Pick up a blitz?           Probably better than many TEs and defend it better

Read the defense pre snap? possibly.

actually catch ?  hmm

8 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

i don't even think that is how they play the game. They will draft as close to BPA as possible even when trading around.
Best Value coincides with best player for them. FA is not the solve generally. it is for time to develop draft picks and potential gems.
That i why is was so pleased with Morse.

Biggest need and great fit.

and now back to Bills regularly scheduled programming  ( method )
 they should pick him  up because he is athletic and smart. McBeanes style

Kelvin Benjamin says....."uhhhhhhhhhh?"

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

They put six on the line even at midfield. With a real O line man (context ) becoming a real threat to option to is awesome in Dabolls book (guessing)

the questions are

Can he chip block well ?       He sure could learn.
Pick up a blitz?           Probably better than many TEs and defend it better

Read the defense pre snap? possibly.

actually catch ?  hmm

The point is that there are actually real TEs out there, no need to go with a gimmick TE.  If he was a great blocker, he would still be an actual O-lineman.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point is that there are actually real TEs out there, no need to go with a gimmick TE.  If he was a great blocker, he would still be an actual O-lineman.

Well I think that a bad olineman is still going to be a better and more experienced blocker than most TE's.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Kelvin Benjamin says....."uhhhhhhhhhh?"

we all make mistakes in FA.

sometimes when trading

Beane said the same thing in time. just took him a bit longer to admit it.
McBeanes is setting a trend about smart flexible players. Players who know what the rest of the team is doing and why. 

Hence the ancient latin meaning of Team.
intertwined, connected. symbiotic

okay i made some of that up.

still think he would be a nice guy to check into

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

GUESS WHO!!!

: )

• Haha (+1) 2

On 3/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would rather  have a OT who converted to TE than a WR. At least you know the converted OT can do one thing very good. Converted WR's that try to be TE's look like KB and Croom. I would rather go with the OT converting to TE or my favorite the Antonio Gates way, I'm surprised more power forwards aren't scouted more to try out as a TE.

Me too.  There's no way a former offensive tackle is going to be able to run fast enough to gain separation as a receiver.  Oh, you mean a WR to TE conversion.  I don't know that I agree.  I have no problem with Croom.  He's not a great blocker, but he's improved on it.  Looking ahead, Buffalo is going into the season with two tight ends that are good at catching the ball in Kroft and Croom.  Kroft is also a solid blocker.  If they sign Fisher, he'll almost certainly be more of a blocking tight end than a pass catcher.  That would give them the ability to line up with two strong blockers at TE or two strong pass catchers.  I think they will add a TE in the draft too.  I don't think it will be Hockenson or Fant.  I'm hoping for Josh Oliver.  He's a pretty good receiver with a lot of athleticism, even though he's still raw.  Moreover he's a decent blocker, though he's got room for improvement there too.  He wouldn't get a lot of time on the field as a rookie, so he'll have time to work on his deficiencies.

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

we all make mistakes in FA.

sometimes when trading

Beane said the same thing in time. just took him a bit longer to admit it.
McBeanes is setting a trend about smart flexible players. Players who know what the rest of the team is doing and why. 

Hence the ancient latin meaning of Team.
intertwined, connected. symbiotic

okay i made some of that up.

still think he would be a nice guy to check into

Other mistakes:  AJM, Peterman, Coleman---and those were all made before week 1 of this past season.

I think it's myth making to ascribe some sort of "type" to McBeane alone.  Every GM/HC feels he has some sort of method or type.  Then they play the games and we can all see if this is true or not.

Let some team look into a failed OT.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Other mistakes:  AJM, Peterman, Coleman---and those were all made before week 1 of this past season.

I think it's myth making to ascribe some sort of "type" to McBeane alone.  Every GM/HC feels he has some sort of method or type.  Then they play the games and we can all see if this is true or not.

Let some team look into a failed OT.

I suspect they are young Guys growing into the roles they they now command.
trending up.

we can argue at what rate of speed i suppose. Lets see how the Draft goes and then what they field come preseason to season season : )

Beanes has shown conservative and aggressive behaviour.

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sign him for the minimum and bring him in, but still look to add a TE.  What could it hurt?

To see if a guy who hasn't played TE since high school can now play TE in the NFL?

Sure, it would hurt (hurt what, I don't know).  But it would be pointless.  That's not a convincing reason to bring players in for a team with a specific plan for their offense...

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

To see if a guy who hasn't played TE since high school can now play TE in the NFL?

Sure, it would hurt (hurt what, I don't know).  But it would be pointless.  That's not a convincing reason to bring players in for a team with a specific plan for their offense...

They’re taking a look at him, are they not?  And at the minimum or close, there’s no harm signing him.  They get to bring 90 players to camp and tons of cap room. 

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

They’re taking a look at him, are they not?  And at the minimum or close, there’s no harm signing him.  They get to bring 90 players to camp and tons of cap room. 

Why waste one of the 90 spots on a guy who may not even be a TE?  Why not use to for a guy who is actually playing the position he has played?

Look at their TE corps.  This is a meaningful effort at improving that crew?  No, it's not of course.  So why waste the time and effort in a meaningless exercise?

Hey, why not bring in Logan Thomas to workout as a TE?1  Oh, wait...

Edited by Mr. WEO

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why waste one of the 90 spots on a guy who may not even be a TE?  Why not use to for a guy who is actually playing the position he has played?

Look at their TE corps.  This is a meaningful effort at improving that crew?  No, it's not of course.  So why waste the time and effort in a meaningless exercise?

Hey, why not bring in Logan Thomas to workout as a TE?1  Oh, wait...

The Bills have 2 TE's on the roster right now.  If they sign him, he'd be 3.  At most they'd be drafting one, and then signing another one, or two if they don't sign him.  It's not a huge issue.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The Bills have 2 TE's on the roster right now.  If they sign him, he'd be 3.  At most they'd be drafting one, and then signing another one, or two if they don't sign him.  It's not a huge issue.

Exactly.  I don’t know why folks are scoffing at this.  Why not kick the tires and work this kid out?

• Like (+1) 1

I saw him a lot in college at Oregon. Great zone blocking, really good at moving and blocking in space. Star tight end and all state de in high school Traverse City MI, in the same year. Agile and athletic for his size. Versatility.

Not advocating for or against, I have no idea if he is athletic or talented enough to reinvent himself or what his role would be. Goal line and short yardage options come to mind. 

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 1