Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

At worst a depth signing for the interior OL and will be competition for starting at guard.  Nobody else out there at the moment for the Bills to go after and its not a given the coveted centers will be out there to sign.

One of the questions i have.

would he be more likely competing for Miller's spot ?
Keep in mind there are rumors the Offense is going to shift scheme. I see Teller remaining a project near and dear for another year or two to Bills FO.

and all the talk about moving Dawkins to guard too.

too early to call. at worst he is swing guard and #2 center

maybe he can play Teams too  : )  

On 2/12/2019 at 12:42 PM, Patriot Killa said:

No he’s an FA because he was extremely mediocre. He was the one responsible for flinging snap after snap over Darnold’s head. He broke two fingers and Bowles kept him in for some ungodly reason so he’s not necessarily as bad as that stretch of games suggests but still very mediocre. You guys better hope he’s a back up. Good riddance to that guy.

Yes he is a zone player lol.

Injuries in the NFL are huge.  You are looking for on of the 32 best C in the world and you trash him because he couldn’t shotgun snap accurately against 325lb freak athletes with an injured snapping hand?

Now, I don’t know if he’ll be any good as a starter, but writing him off because he struggled with an injury last year is too much, in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

One of the questions i have.

would he be more likely competing for Miller's spot ?
Keep in mind there are rumors the Offense is going to shift scheme. I see Teller remaining a project near and dear for another year or two to Bills FO.

and all the talk about moving Dawkins to guard too.

too early to call. at worst he is swing guard and #2 center

maybe he can play Teams too  : )  

It's open competition for both guard positions in my opinion.  New OL coach and scheme dictates that.  I think Dawkins stays put as I think that the top OT draft prospects will not be overly enticing to our FO.  Our center of the future comes in rounds 2 or 3.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Injuries in the NFL are huge.  You are looking for on of the 32 best C in the world and you trash him because he couldn’t shotgun snap accurately against 325lb freak athletes with an injured snapping hand?

Now, I don’t know if he’ll be any good as a starter, but writing him off because he struggled with an injury last year is too much, in my opinion.

I’m writing him off because he wasn’t very good regardless. Injury was simply apart of it. 

Now he played respectably at LG. I’d put him at LG if I was the Bills.

Those who think he starts at center and ruins our hope of a better starting center have NO CLUE what they are talking about.. He will compete with Teller and best man plays LG, Worst plays RG. He ranks near Bodine witch makes him an Interior OL backup machine if he does not start. Bye Groy Bye Miller.

On a personal note I think Spenser becomes a solid career backup and if we have to pay a little bit more then average for a solid backup then.. so be it. Spenser would of been paid well around same numbers if not by us then by another team.

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Jets also thought they were getting a decent starter from the Redskins, hence the reason they signed him. Then there was a real reason they cut him. So, obviously, they didn't want him at OG or center despite the injury.  So, now the Buffalo Bills have a cast off scrub O linemen the Jets didn't want.

Is he an upgrade at RG over Mills who they are certain to let leave, probably. Injury or no. I was simply hoping for better than below average though ...even as a backup. 

They cut him because he had a high salary, they are changing over the coaching staff, and he was due a 3 mill roster bonus last week. Gase felt he could replace him with a different player at a lower price  to fit what he wants to do.  Similar to when McDermott cut NRC right after he was hired. Players come and go from teams all the time ... because he played poorly at times at Center, while injured,  for one team doesn’t preclude him from playing well for a different team under different coaches and circumstances. The Bills pro personnel dept must have done enough scouting on him to believe he can help this OL. And the contract is very moderate for a starting OL. 

10 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Very team friendly deal.  Beane is doing a great job taking homerun swings.  Not all of them will pan out, but some will.  

And you can bet we'll hear all about the ones that don't!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:55 PM, NoSaint said:

I wouldn’t say ONLY that 

Yeah, I typed it up kinda quick. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case, though. Groy didn't do very well at center, Bodine is... eh, but he can be upgraded. I read more on Long and a lot of Jets fans said he played a lot better at guard than center (issues at center may have been related to a hand injury). So if they want him at guard I wonder if that means John Miller will move on. I feel like they really want Teller to lock down the left side and with the way they bounced Miller in and out of the starting lineup last year, it's easy to see that they're in the market to upgrade on the right side.

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd be surprised if they sign more than one more free agent lineman, and if they do, I think it's someone coming off a rookie contract or similar age, like Spain.   I doubt they sign a more seasoned veteran.  

Not sure I agree. Overall they will build through the draft but they aren't saving all that free cap space for 3-4 seasons from now. I would expect them to go for one or two big names in free agency this year and it just so happens that the biggest names are on the offensive line. Beane came right out and said he would love a veteran center protecting Allen. They don't want to rely on a rookie for that job. I expect them to go pretty hard after Paradis or Morse even if they have to overpay. Being smart with the salary cap allows you to overpay a couple free agents per year. I really think they are trying to build the team like that Patriots. Draft your own, establish your system, but go for a big free agent now and again when it fits a need.

• Like (+1) 1