Miami officially hires Brian Flores as HC

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did a great job last night. Not sure how much was him and how much was belichick. I think he’s going to be set up to fail initially (on purpose), we will see how he builds from there 

Interestingly re Belichick's proteges, I was actually impressed to an extent by Patricia this season despite the record. In that Lions/Rams game, the Lions ran a quarters-zone defense that the Rams couldn't solve until late in the game. It's basically the same plan Belichick used yesterday. Also, when the Pats played the Bills late in the season, they played them right after the Bills-Lions game. The Lions were the first team to really shut down Allen's running, and they did it by simply dropping their LBs into shallow zones all game to take away those huge run lanes that Allen was exploiting in pass rush situations against every other team. The next week, the Pats did the exact same thing, and it worked.

Scheme-wise, Patricia is clearly smart. Still, being a winning coach in the NFL requires so much more than simply being smart about game planning. That "leader of men" stuff really matters, and it's why Tomlin is an excellent coach despite what his detractors say. 

• Like (+1) 2

I was about to start a thread on this subject but with a twist. Instead I'll just add my thoughts here.Living in a Miami market I just heard the introductory presser for Mr. Flores. I'll start by saying that I am thrilled that the Phish made this hire. 

The presser started with Mr. Ross stating the Phish had found a great leader of men. Our search had nothing to do with offense or defense. We conducted our search to find the the best leader for our organization. Then the GM spoke about how Flores was a disciple of BB and he will coach in the ways he learned in New England. 

Let me restate, I am thrilled with this hire. We all know the track record of assistants and coordinators coming out of New England, it ain't good. Now for my reaction to the presser, it was painful. Flores stuttered and stammered his way through 15 minutes (or more) behind the mic. He spoke in cliches throughout the entire time and if I hear another UM or UH, somebody will get slapped. In 15 minutes, there must have been 200 of each. 

Good luck Miami, I don't see this being a fun ride 

Edited by fl az fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did a great job last night. Not sure how much was him and how much was belichick. I think he’s going to be set up to fail initially (on purpose), we will see how he builds from there 

...we are talking Ross and the "Miami Sound Machine", right?............Gloria Estevan should be GM...........

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

Now for my reaction to the presser, it was painful. Flores stuttered and stammered his way through 15 minutes (or more) behind the mic. He spoke in cliches throughout the entire time and if I hear another UM or UH, somebody will get slapped. In 15 minutes, there must have been 200 of each. 

So they have Doug Whaley at coach

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

I was about to start a thread on this subject but with a twist. Instead I'll just add my thoughts here.Living in a Miami market I just heard the introductory presser for Mr. Flores. I'll start by saying that I am thrilled that the Phish made this hire. 

The presser started with Mr. Ross stating the Phish had found a great leader of men. Our search had nothing to do with offense or defense. We conducted our search to find the the best leader for our organization. Then the GM spoke about how Flores was a disciple of BB and he will coach in the ways he learned in New England. 

Let me restate, I am thrilled with this hire. We all know the track record of assistants and coordinators coming out of New England, it ain't good. Now for my reaction to the presser, it was painful. Flores stuttered and stammered his way through 15 minutes (or more) behind the mic. He spoke in cliches throughout the entire time and if I hear another UM or UH, somebody will get slapped. In 15 minutes, there must have been 200 of each. 

Public speaking can be improved on, even just by being more comfortable.  Ums and Uhs would be a problem when making in-game decisions.

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Public speaking can be improved on, even just by being more comfortable.  Ums and Uhs would be a problem when making in-game decisions.

There was more to it than just that. My point is that he sounded ill equipped for the job

1 hour ago, fl az fan said:

I thank you, mostly for not starting another thread. I hope it’s a VERY bumpy road and they start over again in a few years! 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

When was the last time the Fish had a defensive minded HC?

Apparently Bowles was their interim HC for 3 games after they fired Sparano.  Don't forget about Wanny either.