WSJ studies announcer Romo’s play prediction %

...CBS is paying him $4 mil a year and it is being reported that he is getting a big raise because other networks are snooping around.....probably gets north of Chuckie's $6.5 mil/yr deal when in the booth...Romo is outstanding IMO and certainly deserving..................

13 hours ago, Augie said:

If they had the guy to do it, they’d be wise to let him. Nance and Romo are the only guys I actually pay attention to. Chris Collingsworth is better than most, I guess.

Where most announcers drive me nuts is a play will be about to begin, and they're blathering on about some human interest thing or else some particular player who may or may not even be on the field.  They not only don't provide value as far as commentary on the game, they actively distract from being able to follow what's going on.

• Like (+1) 4

I maybe a bit pretentious but I don't find what he does all that amazing.  The plays he does call are mostly no brainers and easily seen when looking at the full field.

It's hard to do on a television but in a booth it's very easy.

Wonder if he will be tired to coach, though.  These QB's never get much shot at defensive coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MJS said:

I hate Collingsworth and his annoying little voice, personally.

I can't get past his voice and his delivery to listen to what he has to say.

13 hours ago, MJS said:

He's smart and adds to the game. It is literally just his voice and inflections that I hate. Not sure why, but his voice annoys me to no end.

Romo's over-exuberance grates on me. One of the first times I heard him was a Broncos game. 4th and goal "AND HERE COMES MILLER!!".  Besides that he's a great listen, especially when he was calling out Brady's next plays.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

46 hours of tape.  

Romo’s reaction: “you’re kidding me”.  Romo’s guess at his success rate: 21%

Romo’s actual success rate: 68%

Linking USA Today instead of WSJ as the latter is pay for many of us

It was pointed out that’s better than his completion percentage as a QB.  Ouch.

I read a headline yesterday that said Tony Romo is more famous NOW than when he was playing because of his booth work 

Wade Phillips said he's going to be listening into the booth feed and make late second signals to his team  (JOKING of course)  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's great at what he does, but it actually annoys me to an extent when he predicts the play. Not nearly as much as Witten's "he's got _ open!" Since I can't see the entire field, sometimes I prefer the intrigue.

annoys me when on 3rd and long he tells us Edelman will make the catch.

i guess only me and Tony are aware of this possibility, no D in the NFL seems to care to try to anticipate this is going to happen.

pant loads collect huge salaries calling themselves a DC and they can't figure out Edelman will make the catch on 3rd and long.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

doesn’t he talk through a voice modulator?

its called a proboscis   Big Nose 

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

855f2a8770dc24a0cd02e2cb446a423e--wigs-o

I'd be dumbstruck too 

jessica-simpson2.jpg

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

its called a proboscis   Big Nose 

855f2a8770dc24a0cd02e2cb446a423e--wigs-o

I'd be dumbstruck too 

jessica-simpson2.jpg

by your second year of big man on campus in college you are jaded beyond thinking this special

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Collinsworth is clearly very smart and a student of the game.  I thought he was great when he first started doing games but he seems to have let the celebrity go to his head a bit.  He reminds me of Tim McCarver that way.  McCarver is one of the best baseball analysts ever (loved him as the Mets guy) but he seemed to grate on people the longer he stayed on the air.

Great comparison. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I love when he's announcing. He's giving a perspective that is entertaining and informative. And he's very attractive, too. ?

i agree completely, though i don't know about the attractive part, i'll have to take your word for that. watching a game Tony is commenting on is actually enjoyable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where most announcers drive me nuts is a play will be about to begin, and they're blathering on about some human interest thing or else some particular player who may or may not even be on the field.  They not only don't provide value as far as commentary on the game, they actively distract from being able to follow what's going on.

Or when they can't transition from said planned spiel to properly analyze an important play that just occurred. "Nice pick 6. Ok. As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by the action, yada, yada, yada."