WSJ studies announcer Romo’s play prediction %

4 minutes ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

I'm not sure about that. Based on how popular he has become as an analyst, that style would be copied by everyone else if they were capable. They're not.

Well you'd have to give them time to adjust. Plus, lots of people don't like it. I'm on the fence about it. I like Romo, but I don't like him guessing the plays all the time. I find it distracting and sometimes just want him to shut up so I can make my own opinions and watch it myself.

Just now, MJS said:

I hate Collingsworth and his annoying little voice, personally.

He’s no Roseanne Barr! I lived in Cincinnati through college and learned to like him a bit. He’s one of the better ones in my book, but I mostly ignore all the talking heads. It’s just background noise to me. Only Romo makes it actually interesting. 

Just now, Augie said:

He’s no Roseanne Barr! I lived in Cincinnati through college and learned to like him a bit. He’s one of the better ones in my book, but I mostly ignore all the talking heads. It’s just background noise to me. Only Romo makes it actually interesting. 

He's smart and adds to the game. It is literally just his voice and inflections that I hate. Not sure why, but his voice annoys me to no end.

Just now, MJS said:

He's smart and adds to the game. It is literally just his voice and inflections that I hate. Not sure why, but his voice annoys me to no end.

I strive to have a similar font to inspire such feelings amongst our fellow posters!    

?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

I'm not sure about that. Based on how popular he has become as an analyst, that style would be copied by everyone else if they were capable. They're not.

It's not the only thing that makes Romo a successful commentator.

It might take awhile for another analyst to adopt the style, but there will be others soon enough. I'm sure ex-coaches and QB's can look at the formations of the Offense and the defenders and have a pretty good idea what's coming.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

Lol. I am the only one of my friends who likes Collinsworth. FWIW, Boomer Esiason has said he is the smartest teammate he's played with. I rate him behind only Romo, myself. 

Collinsworth is clearly very smart and a student of the game.  I thought he was great when he first started doing games but he seems to have let the celebrity go to his head a bit.  He reminds me of Tim McCarver that way.  McCarver is one of the best baseball analysts ever (loved him as the Mets guy) but he seemed to grate on people the longer he stayed on the air.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Collinsworth is clearly very smart and a student of the game.  I thought he was great when he first started doing games but he seems to have let the celebrity go to his head a bit.  He reminds me of Tim McCarver that way.  McCarver is one of the best baseball analysts ever (loved him as the Mets guy) but he seemed to grate on people the longer he stayed on the air.

Collinsworth...I have brought this up whenever his name is mentioned here. I will never forgive him for trying to undermine Bruce Smith's reputation. He told the TV audience during the Pittsburgh playoff loss, that Smith should have been playing, because being sick with the flu wasn't a good enough excuse. Bruce Smith isn't above criticism, but to question his commitment was a real low blow. As a former player, you don't do that. There is no way Smith would have missed the game if he wasn't in bad shape. He was hospitalized, and he was really pissed about it. I believe Collinsworth had a personal problem with Smith, and wanted to make him look bad.

***** that guy forever.

Edited by OJ Tom

Romo is the first analyst to come along in a very long time who I actually look forward to hearing.  Insightful without being arrogant, great sense of humor, loves the game, and doesn't play favorites.  You feel like he is rooting for every QB.  Nantz is one of the best PBP guys, too, so this is a great pairing.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

I think there are lots of ex-QB's and coaches that could predict the plays at a similar %. They just either haven't been given a platform to do it, or didn't make it part of their commentary approach (Phil Simms used to do it a little bit, and was pretty accurate).

I don't think Romo was that exceptional, either as a QB, or as a talent. I think he had one of the highest profile occupations (QB for the Dallas Cowboys) so he gets more attention, and ball-washing.

He is excellent as a commentator though.

Couldn't disagree more.

Simms is an idiot and nowhere close to Romo's football IQ.  

Most ex-player color guys in broadcasting are horrible at their jobs and simply regurgitate the same tired crap over and over.

"Change of momentum here!" and all that sort of nonsense.

11 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

There have been a lot of former NFL QB's that did color commentary and none of them are in the same league. As far as I am concerned he is the GOAT. 

Agreed. He sets the bar for NFL announcers. It shows he was one of the best QBs of all time as far as knowledge of the game, field vision, and between the ears. His weaknesses were physical and some occasional  mental "choking" under pressure. Just sitting in the booth watching eliminates those weaknesses.