WSJ studies announcer Romo’s play prediction %

46 hours of tape.  

Romo’s reaction: “you’re kidding me”.  Romo’s guess at his success rate: 21%

Romo’s actual success rate: 68%

Linking USA Today instead of WSJ as the latter is pay for many of us

It was pointed out that’s better than his completion percentage as a QB.  Ouch.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

46 hours of tape.  

Romo’s reaction: “you’re kidding me”.  Romo’s guess at his success rate: 21%

Romo’s actual success rate: 68%

Linking USA Today instead of WSJ as the latter is pay for many of us

Shows His WRs were responsible for the other %. I remember a few time he would be angry at Dez for running the wrong route. 

Most (probably all) NFL offenses run a lot of the same formations and plays with the only difference being the verbiage. It doesn’t surprise me that he can see a formation and know what’s going to happen. He’s still one of the best in the business.

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Most (probably all) NFL offenses run a lot of the same formations and plays with the only difference being the verbiage. It doesn’t surprise me that he can see a formation and know what’s going to happen. He’s still one of the best in the business.

There have been a lot of former NFL QB's that did color commentary and none of them are in the same league. As far as I am concerned he is the GOAT. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think there are lots of ex-QB's and coaches that could predict the plays at a similar %. They just either haven't been given a platform to do it, or didn't make it part of their commentary approach (Phil Simms used to do it a little bit, and was pretty accurate).

I don't think Romo was that exceptional, either as a QB, or as a talent. I think he had one of the highest profile occupations (QB for the Dallas Cowboys) so he gets more attention, and ball-washing.

He is excellent as a commentator though.

Edited by OJ Tom

14 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I think there are lots of ex-QB's and coaches that could predict the plays at a similar %. They just either haven't been given a platform to do it, or didn't make it part of their commentary approach (Phil Simms used to do it a little bit, and was pretty accurate).

I don't think Romo was that exceptional, either as a QB, or as a talent. I think he had one of the highest profile occupations (QB for the Dallas Cowboys) so he gets more attention, and ball-washing.

He is excellent as a commentator though.

Never got the outrage when Prescott won the job. Romo was decent, but he was damaged goods and always failed in the playoffs(when they weren't their typical 8-8.)

He's a seemingly great guy, but vastly overrated as a QB.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I love when he's announcing. He's giving a perspective that is entertaining and informative. And he's very attractive, too. ?

Really? Hmm. Kind of surprising.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Obviously it wouldn't make sense from a financial standpoint. But he would be an excellent defensive coordinator. Don't understand how this guy only won two postseason games in a decade.

Give him an oil well to be QB Coach! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Just never thought of him as handsome, but I should probably stay in my lane on that.?

I think he's attractive, but not necessarily classically handsome. Let's just say that if I were young and single.... er, never mind. ?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Which is kind of a weird insult, considering no QB in NFL history has a 68% career average and Romo is in the top 5 all-time best completion %.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Pretty good for an undrafted QB.

However, usually it is up to the announcers to set up the play and describe the game action. Then the analyst describes the play afterward.

With Romo, they let him talk before the play as well. There are probably some other analysts that could do the same as him if they had the chance and leeway that Romo has.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

However, usually it is up to the announces to set up the play and describe the game action. Then the analyst describes the play afterward.

With Romo, they let him talk before the play as well. There are probably some other analysts that could do the same as him if they had the chance and leeway that Romo has.

If they had the guy to do it, they’d be wise to let him. Nance and Romo are the only guys I actually pay attention to. Chris Collingsworth is better than most, I guess.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

However, usually it is up to the announces to set up the play and describe the game action. Then the analyst describes the play afterward.

I'm not sure about that. Based on how popular he has become as an analyst, that style would be copied by everyone else if they were capable. They're not.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If they had the guy to do it, they’d be wise to let him. Nance and Romo are the only guys I actually pay attention to. Chris Collingsworth is better than most, I guess.

I hate Collingsworth and his annoying little voice, personally.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1