Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Allen is NOT inaccurate unless Baker, Lamar, Darnold, Rosen, 2017 Watson & 2016 Wentz are, too

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it's already gone 26 pages longer than it probably should have.

 

Awwww... you're still enviously stalking me--you still love me!  :wub:

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Awwww... you're still enviously stalking me--you still love me!  :wub:

 

I believe this to be a false statement.

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

 

I believe this to be a false statement.

 

It's kind of an angry love... but he just hasn't been able to quit me for years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wiley16350 said:

 

I am doing all the games for all the QB's.  Allen finished 2nd in my adjusted rushing yards.  Which exclude Kneel downs and sneak yards.  I also added yards called back from penalties and yards behind the line of scrimmage when the QB had to get away from unblocked rushers.  Of the QB's with 50 or more rushes, Allen ranked 2nd in my adjusted average yards.  He was 5th in broken / missed tackles.  He had the most yards from scrambling.  Lamar Jackson who was 1st, got most of his yards from called runs.  Allen is clearly one of the elite QB's at scrambling.  The good thing is that he did it because it was given to him or necessary and not really because it was a crutch. 

 

Allen was 33rd (out of 44) in my adjusted sack % which takes into account coverage and pressure.  Allen's biggest reason for improvement after injury was because his sack% went down and his rushing went up.  It wasn't necessarily because the line improved or the receivers got better.  Notable QB's with a higher sack %; Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Marcus Mariota, DeShaun Watson, Jimmy Garoppolo and Tyrod Taylor.

 

He was tied for 21st (out of 43) in fumble % which takes into account situation and pressure.  Notable QB's with the same or higher fumble %; Mitchell Truibisky, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, Patrick Mahomes, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, DeShaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppolo, Derek Carr, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Dak Prescott, Josh Rosen, Tyrod Taylor and Lamar Jackson.

 

He was tied for 31st (out of 40) in interception % which takes into account coverage, pressure and situation.  Notable QB's with a higher int%; Mitchell Truibisky, Andy Dalton, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Sam Darnold and Ryan Tannehill.

 

I don't really want to share all of the information, there is a lot of work and time involved and I will probably have to sell the information once the study is done.  I will attach the incompletion study since it is very early in the process and there isn't that much information on the sheet and you can get an idea of what I'm doing.  See attachment for that.

 

 

Incompletion Study - 2018.pdf 26.48 kB · 4 downloads

 

So as I look at that chart, how are you keeping track of all that?  It looks like you've got partially charted seasons for some of those QBs.  That's a lot of categories... how are you assuring consistency in the way you grade each one across the categories?  That was hard enough for me and I just had 4 categories (Catchable, Uncatchable, Throwaway/Spike, Batted/Tipped pass) to keep track of with the additional Interceptable passes that would fall under any of those 4 categories.

 

And have you been offered money for your study?  I'm not trying to be mean, but you might not want to get your hopes too high... in another couple months the interest in discussion of past play in the NFL will all but disappear as we creep into Training Camp and the start of the 2019 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

So as I look at that chart, how are you keeping track of all that?  It looks like you've got partially charted seasons for some of those QBs.  That's a lot of categories... how are you assuring consistency in the way you grade each one across the categories?  That was hard enough for me and I just had 4 categories (Catchable, Uncatchable, Throwaway/Spike, Batted/Tipped pass) to keep track of with the additional Interceptable passes that would fall under any of those 4 categories.

 

And have you been offered money for your study?  I'm not trying to be mean, but you might not want to get your hopes too high... in another couple months the interest in discussion of past play in the NFL will all but disappear as we creep into Training Camp and the start of the 2019 season.

The chart you saw is just 1 game for every QB that has numbers in the chart.  I have 2 monitors and chart the plays as I watch.  I went through and did the interception chart first, watching every passing play to see if there was an intercept-able pass and charting each one that I found.  So I watched all 256 games just doing intercept-able passes.  Then I went through all 256 games again and charted fumbles, watching all fumble plays.  Then I went through all 256 games again and charted sacks, watching all sack plays.  Now I am going through the 4th time, watching all incomplete passes and charting them.  I will do it again for completions, yards and scoring.  The ultimate goal is to get an adjusted NFL QB rating and rank the QB's based on that.

 

I wish I was offered money for it, so that I could focus more time on it and get it done faster.  My goal isn't necessarily to make a lot of money from it at least right right away.  If I sold it, I might only do it for a small price, like a $1, I mean you get a enough people at a $1 and I could easily support myself and do it full-time.  If not, it is still something I enjoy doing in my spare time and it allows me to be more knowledgeable when talking about football.  Ultimately, I am working on a season chart for each QB for the 2019 season and getting the system set now to start charting the new season as it progresses so that it could be ready to sell after the season as quickly as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a thread on a Carolina forum I follow that talks about how much better Kyle Allen looks than at training camp last year.

 

 Who’s is Kyle Allen? He attended training camp with Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Jordan Palmer. First and foremost as a football fan I’m really excited and hopeful that these young guys can all show improvement into year 2.

 

Alas, realistically there is an excellent chance that Kyle Allen won’t make Carolinas 53 with the drafting of Grier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

There’s a thread on a Carolina forum I follow that talks about how much better Kyle Allen looks than at training camp last year.

 

 Who’s is Kyle Allen? He attended training camp with Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Jordan Palmer. First and foremost as a football fan I’m really excited and hopeful that these young guys can all show improvement into year 2.

 

Alas, realistically there is an excellent chance that Kyle Allen won’t make Carolinas 53 with the drafting of Grier. 

 

Ummm... okay.... relevance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Ummm... okay.... relevance?

wait you mean this isn't a thread on Kyle Allen?

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 7:24 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Ummm... okay.... relevance?

 

 it’s relevant to Josh Allen because this is the same QB guru (Jordan Palmer) who has been working with both Allen’s and Darnold at their camp and for that matter Tyree Jackson too. Unlike Darnold and JAllen, KAllen attended panthers rookie camp and his accuracy was noticeably improved. It is my hope that we see the same improvement from Josh. 

 Perhaps it’s a tenuous link but news is slow in the off-season and I thought it might be of interest.

  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that matters now is how they do this year. These past stats are now moot since so much has changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

All that matters now is how they do this year. These past stats are now moot since so much has changed.

 

 

Unless.....  He continues to be terribly inaccurate, then they do matter.

 

: )

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

 

 

Unless.....  He continues to be terribly inaccurate, then they do matter.

 

: )

 

great! then we can look forward to another long and ill conceived thread analysis by none other than transplant.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 6:10 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yeah I said before I don't think JA's terribly accurate but I don't really care so much as long as he's on the money when necessary. 

 

I think we all saw a ton of talent in JA to be excited. So provided he gets Ws we shouldn't be overly concerned over accuracy anyways. He's got enough things going for him and, of course, he's accurate enough.. people talk about him like he's Tim Tebow if he was that inaccurate it would have seriously limited his play last year.

 

I'm fine with Cam Newton abilities and psyched if better.

You're basically saying you don't care that Allen is inaccurate, as long as he can somehow magically transform into an accurate passer when it matters most in a game.  It doesn't work that way.

 

Of course Allen has a ton of athleticism and did some impressive things on a football field, mostly with his legs.

 

I'll give you 2 guys he reminds me a lot of:  Tim Tebow and Collin Kaepernick.  Did anyone ever accuse either of those guys of NOT being tremendous athletes?  And while we are on that topic ever notice that Tom Brady does NOT appear to be a tremendous, natural athlete?  

 

It ain't just about athleticism, brother!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

 

 

I'll give you 2 guys he reminds me a lot of:  Tim Tebow and Collin Kaepernick.  

 

 

Kaepernick had a decent run in the NFL. The Tebow comparison is WAY off. Allen has a huge arm and Tebow's was Peterman level bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/981080/2019/05/17/how-much-better-can-josh-allen-and-the-bills-offense-be-an-analytical-breakdown-heading-into-2019/

How much better can Josh Allen and the Bills’ offense be? An analytical breakdown heading into 2019

By Matthew Fairburn May 17, 2019

Aggressiveness

NFL Next Gen Stats tracks aggressiveness as the percentage of throws a quarterback attempts when a receiver has one yard or less of separation from the defender at the time of the completion or incompletion. This is a way to measure how often a quarterback is throwing into tight coverage. Allen finished at 13.8 percent in this category, though the number alone doesn’t correlate to a quarterback’s success. Allen’s percentage was within a decimal point of those of Tom Brady, Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. Josh Rosen was the most aggressive quarterback in the league last year, and his rookie season was a disaster. Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes ranked near the bottom of the league in this metric because his receivers were constantly running open.

What this metric does tell us, though, is that Allen, despite having a sub-par group of receivers, wasn’t often throwing into tight coverage. Did he not trust his receivers to make plays on contested catches? Did he not trust what he was seeing? It could be a combination of the two. It would be understandable if Allen was less than confident in the receivers the Bills had. They also went through quite a few receiver combinations throughout the season, and without ideal timing, these tight-window throws aren’t as easy to make. Allen noted that after the team’s Week 16 loss to the Patriots.

 

“It’s all about timing, trust and the relationship that you have with the guys out there,” Allen said. “We’re still relatively new with each other. To go through and play games like that and have opportunities that were so close but slip away, it definitely gives us confidence as we move forward. We’ll work on them and clean those things up, and in no time we’ll be completing those — having trust on depth, on timing in my drop and expecting guys to be where they are and they’re going to be there.”

 

Now that the Bills will have three new receivers, Allen will once again have to establish timing with them. The difference is that he will spend the entire offseason working with the first-team offense and the receiver room shouldn’t have as much turnover as it did a year ago.

6 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

All that matters now is how they do this year. These past stats are now moot since so much has changed.

 

What matters about this for now at least is that the narrative that Allen needs some kind of Herculean improvement from his 1st to 2nd year in terms of passing accuracy compared to his peers is incorrect.

 

Completion percentage, yes.

 

Accuracy, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/981080/2019/05/17/how-much-better-can-josh-allen-and-the-bills-offense-be-an-analytical-breakdown-heading-into-2019/

How much better can Josh Allen and the Bills’ offense be? An analytical breakdown heading into 2019

By Matthew Fairburn May 17, 2019

 

I wonder how many of those tight window throws came from the Chargers, Packers, and Patriots games.

Edited by Warcodered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have now finished Josh Allen's first 6 games for my study of incomplete passes.  He is in the top 5 (I want to say 2nd or 3rd) for best responsibility percentage.  I have him responsible for 37% of his incomplete passes.  The percentage takes into account, accuracy, decision making and pressure and assigns blame to every incomplete pass in whole or in part.  What the rankings in this category say to me is that the guys higher on the list (like Allen) are sabotaged or hurt more by the talent around them then guys lower on the list.  It doesn't necessarily suggest that Allen is more accurate than the guys lower than him.  I only have Allen down for 9 passes (6% of his attempts) that were incomplete solely because of accuracy issues.  Some other passes could be inaccurate to a degree but went down as something else, such as a defended pass or a catchable pass that wasn't perfect.  I have seen a lot more poor throws from Tom Brady, than I have from Allen.  Now, Brady throws it more often so that means he will have more poor throws but when i'm just watching incomplete passes all of the time, it feels like Brady is a more inaccurate QB than Allen.  Brady's responsibility % is in the high 40's or low 50's, I can't remember off the top of my head.  Maybe after I finish week 6 for all QB's, I will post my chart again so you all can see how Allen fared prior to his injury.  Allen is definitely not as inaccurate as his 54% rate (at that point in the season) would suggest.  Guys like DeShaun Watson seem to be much more inaccurate to me and I just looked up his completion % and was kind of shocked to see it was at 68%.  I know I have Watson with over 20 uncatchable passes which makes his uncatchable passes % at least 9%, which is 3% worse than Allen.  If you think completion % is a true indicator of accuracy, then you are really doing yourself a disservice by spouting off what is a clearly ignorant of reality argument.

  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wiley16350 said:

I have now finished Josh Allen's first 6 games for my study of incomplete passes.  He is in the top 5 (I want to say 2nd or 3rd) for best responsibility percentage.  I have him responsible for 37% of his incomplete passes.  The percentage takes into account, accuracy, decision making and pressure and assigns blame to every incomplete pass in whole or in part.  What the rankings in this category say to me is that the guys higher on the list (like Allen) are sabotaged or hurt more by the talent around them then guys lower on the list.  It doesn't necessarily suggest that Allen is more accurate than the guys lower than him.  I only have Allen down for 9 passes (6% of his attempts) that were incomplete solely because of accuracy issues.  Some other passes could be inaccurate to a degree but went down as something else, such as a defended pass or a catchable pass that wasn't perfect.  I have seen a lot more poor throws from Tom Brady, than I have from Allen.  Now, Brady throws it more often so that means he will have more poor throws but when i'm just watching incomplete passes all of the time, it feels like Brady is a more inaccurate QB than Allen.  Brady's responsibility % is in the high 40's or low 50's, I can't remember off the top of my head.  Maybe after I finish week 6 for all QB's, I will post my chart again so you all can see how Allen fared prior to his injury.  Allen is definitely not as inaccurate as his 54% rate (at that point in the season) would suggest.  Guys like DeShaun Watson seem to be much more inaccurate to me and I just looked up his completion % and was kind of shocked to see it was at 68%.  I know I have Watson with over 20 uncatchable passes which makes his uncatchable passes % at least 9%, which is 3% worse than Allen.  If you think completion % is a true indicator of accuracy, then you are really doing yourself a disservice by spouting off what is a clearly ignorant of reality argument.

I agree, and thank you for the work you are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

 

 

Last game of the season:  STATS looked pretty good actually.  Now look at the passes.

 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/pass/buffalo-bills/2018/week/josh-allen/ALL529264/2018/17/pass

 

o  10 of his completions were behind the LOS or with 5 yards of the LOS.

 

 

 

Explain how that's different from anything you see here:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/patrick-mahomes/MAH401939/season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, wiley16350 said:

I have now finished Josh Allen's first 6 games for my study of incomplete passes.  He is in the top 5 (I want to say 2nd or 3rd) for best responsibility percentage.  I have him responsible for 37% of his incomplete passes.  The percentage takes into account, accuracy, decision making and pressure and assigns blame to every incomplete pass in whole or in part.  What the rankings in this category say to me is that the guys higher on the list (like Allen) are sabotaged or hurt more by the talent around them then guys lower on the list.  It doesn't necessarily suggest that Allen is more accurate than the guys lower than him.  I only have Allen down for 9 passes (6% of his attempts) that were incomplete solely because of accuracy issues.  Some other passes could be inaccurate to a degree but went down as something else, such as a defended pass or a catchable pass that wasn't perfect.  I have seen a lot more poor throws from Tom Brady, than I have from Allen.  Now, Brady throws it more often so that means he will have more poor throws but when i'm just watching incomplete passes all of the time, it feels like Brady is a more inaccurate QB than Allen.  Brady's responsibility % is in the high 40's or low 50's, I can't remember off the top of my head.  Maybe after I finish week 6 for all QB's, I will post my chart again so you all can see how Allen fared prior to his injury.  Allen is definitely not as inaccurate as his 54% rate (at that point in the season) would suggest.  Guys like DeShaun Watson seem to be much more inaccurate to me and I just looked up his completion % and was kind of shocked to see it was at 68%.  I know I have Watson with over 20 uncatchable passes which makes his uncatchable passes % at least 9%, which is 3% worse than Allen.  If you think completion % is a true indicator of accuracy, then you are really doing yourself a disservice by spouting off what is a clearly ignorant of reality argument.

 

I want to say thank you for actually trying a similar exercise to see if my assessment of Allen lines up with other similar analyses.

 

There are a few Foxxy pals posting in this thread who just baselessly categorize the analysis as ill-conceived, among other things, when I genuinely wanted them to actually try it themselves and post their conclusions, like you are.

 

But I think some are just more comfortable with strident negativity and the general narrative that Allen is inaccurate.

Haters-are-Gonna-Hate.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, Nextmanup said:

You're basically saying you don't care that Allen is inaccurate, as long as he can somehow magically transform into an accurate passer when it matters most in a game.  It doesn't work that way.

 

Of course Allen has a ton of athleticism and did some impressive things on a football field, mostly with his legs.

 

I'll give you 2 guys he reminds me a lot of:  Tim Tebow and Collin Kaepernick.  Did anyone ever accuse either of those guys of NOT being tremendous athletes?  And while we are on that topic ever notice that Tom Brady does NOT appear to be a tremendous, natural athlete?  

 

It ain't just about athleticism, brother!

  

 

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying accuracy has diminishing returns. If Josh Allen is as inaccurate as Tim Tebow he won't cut it in this league. The difference in accuracy between Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers with a cannon isn't so bad as the difference between Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. Cam is accurate enough with complimentary skills to excel. And he's not Tim Tebow good lord, Tim couldn't hit the simplest routes throwing outs 4 yards out of bounds.

 

He's accurate enough to make big plays and has tons of other quarterback skills going for him to make him special in his own right. Brett Favre had a cannon, great instincts, and other attributes to make him much more successful than more accurate quarterbacks. 

 

As to Josh Allen not being able to magically transform into an accurate passer late in the game, sure he won't.. but he has late game intangibles and an arm to hit routes other quarterbacks can't. I don't care if he's relatively inaccurate to other quarterbacks in the league so long as he can throw a bullet to Foster when it counts. He can go incompletion, incompletion, incompletion, AMAZING TD on a game winning drive. 25% completion oh my! He didn't get magically accurate in that scenario but he's good enough to make the play and get the win. I don't care so long as accuracy isn't an Achilles hill for him. It doesn't limit him from using the hundreds of other quarterback traits that could make him great.

 

I hate talking about Josh Allen by this point, beating every topic to death. Very little has happened to change his NFL accomplishments since his last down, which was several months ago. I liked what I saw last year, and am excited and anxious to see him next year. I think he still is a lot like how he viewed him his rookie year, except he proved his floor is much higher than draft day and his exceptionally high ceiling remains the same.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

he proved his floor is much higher than draft day and his exceptionally high ceiling remains the same.

That's the key and I think your assessment is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

I want to say thank you for actually trying a similar exercise to see if my assessment of Allen lines up with other similar analyses.

 

There are a few Foxxy pals posting in this thread who just baselessly categorize the analysis as ill-conceived, among other things, when I genuinely wanted them to actually try it themselves and post their conclusions, like you are.

 

But I think some are just more comfortable with strident negativity and the general narrative that Allen is inaccurate.

Haters-are-Gonna-Hate.gif

lol. 

 

baselessly huh?

 

it is ill conceived because it doesn't matter, one iota.

 

the only thing and i repeat... the only thing that matters is the completion percentage, period. it is an accurate gauge of what a QB is doing.

 

explain it all away anyway you like... 

it.

doesn't.

matter.

 

who gives a ***** what anyone outside of Bills nation thinks? i like Allen a lot and think he is the best shot we have had at the QB position (as evidenced by my jersey purchase) since Kelly. that doesn't mean he is however.

 

believe it or not trans, i like you. i just know your track record and how horrible it has been at judging QBs. it is with that forethought that i can't help but be extremely skeptical of any analysis you dream up. you did the same for ... how many other Bills QBs that were not the answer?

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...