Speculation on Golic and Wingo that Rosen could be traded

Could be a smokescreen.  It seems like a risky strategy, because they are messing with Rosen's head, but if the Cards want someone to try to trade up to 1 for Murray or Haskins, it makes sense for them to suggest that they might just pull the trigger on a QB.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Could be a smokescreen.  It seems like a risky strategy, because they are messing with Rosen's head, but if the Cards want someone to try to trade up to 1 for Murray or Haskins, it makes sense for them to suggest that they might just pull the trigger on a QB.

It could be they’ve already decided to move on, and don’t care. I don’t think it’s so much about Rosen, who can certainly still be successful elsewhere, as it is Kingsbury. He didn’t draft him and probably doesn’t want him, with his lack of mobility. Keim DID draft him and is still there,  but it always felt like he wasn’t his top choice and he settled after the report they really wanted Allen. It may be best for everyone to set him free. If I were them, I would get would I could for Rosen and sign Case Keenum in FA. Then draft Murray. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was a slam dunk for ANYONE to come up with this speculation when their GM says "Josh Rosen is our QB,  right now". It's not like they came up with anything mind blowing that your 85 year old Uncle Ed didn't come up with by hearing those comments from their GM..

Edited by matter2003

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's been my comparison too

I don’t remember much about Leftwich. My comparison is a bigger version of Bridgewater, also some Roethlisberger 

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It was a slam dunk for ANYONE to come up with this speculation when their GM says "Josh Rosen is our QB,  right now". It's not like they came up with anything mind blowing that your 85 year old Uncle Ed didn't come up with by hearing those comments from their GM..

They said this in early January. I bumped an old thread. 

19 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bingo.

Not all that different than the Chargers Brees - Rivers situation.  Obviously hindsight is 20 / 20 on that one, but at the time Brees was a nice player but Rivers was viewed as a much higher regarded prospect.  If Murray / Haskins are better than Rosen in their eyes, it's a no brainer, get what you can get for Rosen and move on.

Actually Brees didn't show much in his first 3 years in the league so the Chargers drafted Rivers.  He had a great 4th season, Rivers' rookie season, and instead of turning to Rivers after the season, franchised Brees and kept Rivers on the bench for another season.  Had Brees not injured his shoulder at the end of the season, he might still be their QB.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:46 AM, GG said:

Would be an interesting decision, considering middling MLB players can make $10 million with far less wear and tear

No they can't, he wouldn't even see the field for years.

Edited by Boca BIlls

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually Brees didn't show much in his first 3 years in the league so the Chargers drafted Rivers.  He had a great 4th season, Rivers' rookie season, and instead of turning to Rivers after the season, franchised Brees and kept Rivers on the bench for another season.  Had Brees not injured his shoulder at the end of the season, he might still be their QB.

No, they were absolutely going to trade Brees because AJ Smith was all in on Rivers, who he drafted. As you may recall, they started Brees the final game of the season but they were already out of it (at 9-6), and that's the game he injured his shoulder in. It was a VERY controversial move at the time, and people ripped Schottenheimer for not thinking about the big picture. Starting him that game blew up in their face, and they ended up getting nothing for Brees. His contract was up, but they could have tagged and traded him. This was the game - it was week 17 of the 2005 season. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200512310sdg.htm

Here's a backgrounder, but it's wrong about who they would have kept: https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2010/2/8/1301176/why-did-the-chargers-let-drew

As Brees himself said, ""Did A.J. draft me? No," Brees said. "Did A.J. draft Philip? Enough said."

http://legacy.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/060311/brees.shtml

Edited by dave mcbride

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yikes the Cardinals are an even bigger mess than I thought. I know Rosen wasn't great but he was in a really bad situation. They should stand by him this year, there is no upside to messing with his confidence like that.

Not if they think Murray wil be a much better QB than Rosen will

Edited by matter2003

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It could be they’ve already decided to move on, and don’t care. I don’t think it’s so much about Rosen, who can certainly still be successful elsewhere, as it is Kingsbury. He didn’t draft him and probably doesn’t want him, with his lack of mobility. Keim DID draft him and is still there,  but it always felt like he wasn’t his top choice and he settled after the report they really wanted Allen. It may be best for everyone to set him free. If I were them, I would get would I could for Rosen and sign Case Keenum in FA. Then draft Murray. 

What do you think Rosen would fetch in trade at this point, a second?  And who would want him?  Miami?  Giants?

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No, they were absolutely going to trade Brees because AJ Smith was all in on Rivers, who he drafted. As you may recall, they started Brees the final game of the season but they were already out of it (at 9-6), and that's the game he injured his shoulder in. It was a VERY controversial move at the time, and people ripped Schottenheimer for not thinking about the big picture. Starting him that game blew up in their face, and they ended up getting nothing for Brees. His contract was up, but they could have tagged and traded him. This was the game - it was week 17 of the 2005 season. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200512310sdg.htm

Here's a backgrounder, but it's wrong about who they would have kept: https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2010/2/8/1301176/why-did-the-chargers-let-drew

As Brees himself said, ""Did A.J. draft me? No," Brees said. "Did A.J. draft Philip? Enough said."

http://legacy.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/060311/brees.shtml

The Chargers offered Brees a 5-year $50M deal after the 2005 season, but it was heavily incentive-laden because of his injury.  Like I said, if he hadn't gotten injured, they probably offer him a contract with more guaranteed money.

Just now, mannc said:

What do you think Rosen would fetch in trade at this point, a second?  And who would want him?  Miami?  Giants?

All it takes is just one team.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Chargers offered Brees a 5-year $50M deal after the 2005 season, but it was heavily incentive-laden because of his injury.  Like I said, if he hadn't gotten injured, they probably offer him a contract with more guaranteed money.

It's certainly an interesting "what if?" situation. It is definitely true that Smith was true believer in Rivers, and he ran the show. Marty liked Brees, to be sure, but Smith ran the show. History has proven both to be right.  Their stats are nearly identical (outside of straight-up counting stats). In playoff games, Brees is 8-7 and Rivers is 5-6; The Chargers have won 57 percent of their games with Rivers, and the Saints 59 percent with Brees; Brees' passer rating is 97.7 lifetime and Rivers' rating is 95.6; and Brees has a lifetime advanced passer rating of 115 to Rivers' 112 (100 being league average; by way of comparison, Roethlisberger is 110 and Brady 116). Brees has had better offensive coaching and suffered far less organizational chaos, so it's a bit of a wash overall.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Allbright is saying a 3rd. I don’t buy that. If that’s the case, the Pats should be all over it. They have like 5 3rd rd picks or something 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Allbright is saying a 3rd. I don’t buy that. If that’s the case, the Pats should be all over it. They have like 5 3rd rd picks or something 

I think a lot of teams would be in for a 3rd, and probably even a 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Seeming more and more like we picked the right Josh

Far too soon to say and I wouldn't use Rosen's misfortune to prop up Allen.  Rosen didn't draft himself.  The Cardinals organization did, only to fire their head coach after 1 season.  That's dysfunction.

Rosen is getting a raw deal here. 

Say the Skins trade for him.  Jay Gruden will be fired at season's end and Rosen will be on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years as a pro.  That's not how you develop a young QB.

I hope the Saints make a play for him.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Far too soon to say and I wouldn't use Rosen's misfortune to prop up Allen.  Rosen didn't draft himself.  The Cardinals organization did, only to fire their head coach after 1 season.  That's dysfunction.

Rosen is getting a raw deal here. 

Say the Skins trade for him.  Jay Gruden will be fired at season's end and Rosen will be on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years as a pro.  That's not how you develop a young QB.

I hope the Saints make a play for him.

This is no hating on Rosen

Still happy we went with our selection.....and found a way to keep the compensation within last year's draft to do it.......we managed to draft our franchise QB WITHOUT giving up future compensation which is almost unheard of......we have our 1st rounder this year which ended up being 9th overall and might turn into even more picks in this draft.

My ONLY regret was having to give up Cordy Glenn to get Josh.....if we still had Cordy we could move Dawlkins to LG.....and just be working on Center and RT situations (I like Teller) this offseason but other then that.....we got Allen and Edmunds this past year.......which is gonna pay huge dividends to the present and future of this team.

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is no hating on Rosen

Still happy we went with our selection.....and found a way to keep the compensation within last year's draft to do it.......we managed to draft our franchise QB WITHOUT giving up future compensation which is almost unheard of......we have our 1st rounder this year which ended up being 9th overall and might turn into even more picks in this draft.

My ONLY regret was having to give up Cordy Glenn to get Josh.....if we still had Cordy we could move Dawlkins to LG.....and just be working on Center and RT situations (I like Teller) this offseason but other then that.....we got Allen and Edmunds this past year.......which is gonna pay huge dividends to the present and future of this team.

We didn’t give up future compensation because we gave up past compensation.

A team who trades a first the year before they draft their QB and a team who trades a first the year after are both out a first.