Team Identity when they move

21 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Is it?

It's a dope name.. for New Orleans not Utah haha. Then again I can't think of a cool name for a Utah team other than some Mormon joke so.. sorry Utah guy I think most people only know Utah for one thing.. and they brought a name from one of the coolest cities in America.

Only thing that annoys me is they hogged the name so the New Orleans expansion team became the Pelicans for some dumb reason. So many cool names to work with and they're the damn Pelicans.

I suppose that'll grind my gears more than anything on this subject is teams not letting their name go if they change. I want to say the Titans wouldn't let any team name themselves the Oilers. THAT'S SUCH A COOL NAME FOR HOUSTON! Oilers and Rockets :) Texans is such a lame name. I like topical names that bring your city culture to the public eye and give all the more reason for pride, not random ones.. WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THOSE TIGERS IN CINCINNATI?!? 

Best names in NFL are 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Bills, Saints, Patriots, Ravens (NAMED AFTER EDGAR ALLEN POE!!!)

Oilers was a fantastic name.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Great topic!

I don’t see why both teams can’t retire the number, put them on the wall, etc.....

I know it’s a different situation, but every baseball team retires Jackie Robinson and there a quite a few teams who’ve retired the same player.  

In terms of pride and who owns it?  I think that’s up to the fans. If the Bills moved to another city, I think I’d be pissed if they retired someone’s number in that new city.  Especially if we got an expansion team in Buffalo.  To me, that would be the new and real Bills. Not the London/Toronto whoever’s 

27 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

It's a dope name.. for New Orleans not Utah haha. Then again I can't think of a cool name for a Utah team other than some Mormon joke so.. sorry Utah guy I think most people only know Utah for one thing.. and they brought a name from one of the coolest cities in America.

The Utah Spice

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Oilers had a legacy while the Titans had the appeal of an expansion team and still do.  I'd rather have the Oilers come to Buffalo to do battle with the Bills as there is an energy there given the Oilers history dating back to the beginning of the AFL.  The Titans would have to be a SB caliber team for me to want to see them as a Bills opponent.  

Agreed.  They had no business representing the AFC in their lone SB appearance.  So they really have nothing. They should have remained the Oilers.  I dont know why they changed the name whether it was legalities or whatever but they should not have.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Great topic!

I don’t see why both teams can’t retire the number, put them on the wall, etc.....

I know it’s a different situation, but every baseball team retires Jackie Robinson and there a quite a few teams who’ve retired the same player.  

In terms of pride and who owns it?  I think that’s up to the fans. If the Bills moved to another city, I think I’d be pissed if they retired someone’s number in that new city.  Especially if we got an expansion team in Buffalo.  To me, that would be the new and real Bills. Not the London/Toronto whoever’s 

Buffalo would never ever get an expansion team after a team left us. Still waiting for a replacement for the NBA Braves.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Agreed.  They had no business representing the AFC in their lone SB appearance.  So they really have nothing. They should have remained the Oilers.  I dont know why they changed the name whether it was legalities or whatever but they should not have.

The Bills had their chance to beat them that year (and should have), but lost in the infamous Homerun Throwback.

23 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

The Utah Spice

Nice I like it. Only drawback is it could be interpreted as some immasculine word. Not trying to be homophobic but that's huge for marketing and players dealing with fans that don't get it haha. Just sounds like a WNBA team.

Then again the Orlando Magic gets by alright. Utah.. miners?

Screw it. Spice is cool. Super original. You need to apply for marketing jobs man you got a talent. Pretty cool thing to be known for

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Nice I like it. Only drawback is it could be interpreted as some immasculine word. Not trying to be homophobic but that's huge for marketing and players dealing with fans that don't get it haha. Just sounds like a WNBA team.

Then again the Orlando Magic gets by alright. Utah.. miners?

Screw it. Spice is cool. Super original. You need to apply for marketing jobs man you got a talent. Pretty cool thing to be known for

Thanks, haha! I was just being stupid. I thought of Utah Salt, but that would be bizarre. But it does sound kind of WNBA'ish.

5 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Thanks, haha! I was just being stupid. I thought of Utah Salt, but that would be bizarre. But it does sound kind of WNBA'ish.

I think Salt Lake is a cooler regional name. Salt Lake spice or most anything rolls off the tongue nicely.. except jazz. Let it go Utah 

Just now, buffalo2218 said:

Being from Tennessee myself, I look at it as if that’s how it is then the Titans also inherit the blown 32 point lead in 93 against the Bills. All of a sudden, their “miracle” doesn’t seem like much of a miracle any more 

Music City Retribution

44 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Buffalo would never ever get an expansion team after a team left us. Still waiting for a replacement for the NBA Braves.

The Bills had their chance to beat them that year (and should have), but lost in the infamous Homerun Throwback.

Yup the Homerun ThrowFoward.

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope because part of the deal when the team left Cleveland was that all team history and name was left behind in Cleveland.

Baltimore even though they were the same players as in Cleveland started out as a new team and a new identity in Baltimore.

I wish more moves were legally forced to do this.

Why the hell would Cleveland agree to that?  If you're going to take the team may as well force them to take all that ***** history off your hands too.

Its like giving away your house but keeping the mortgage.

• Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Why the hell would Cleveland agree to that?  If you're going to take the team may as well force them to take all that ***** history off your hands too.

Its like giving away your house but keeping the mortgage.

Not really.  Up until the 1990's the Browns had a fairly good history.  Just because some guy who is 30-35 years old today did not see it happen during his grown up years does not mean that it did not happen.  Instant gratification is a stain on too many sports fans today.  

20 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

We played the Titans a few years back in preseason, in the Hall of Fame game. They wanted to honor AFL teams, so we wore our standing buffalo throwbacks, and they wore Houston Oilers throwbacks. I thought it was odd. I was watching with my dad, and he was talking about how much the jerseys brought back memories from when he grew up watching the Bills in those. Even if you're a die hard Titans fan, unless it's by some other coincidence, the Oilers jerseys/name/etc don't really have a nostalgic connection to you. Although to be fair, living in Houston, I have met a small handful of Titans fans that stuck with the team after they left.

Then you also have teams like the Utah Jazz, which is just a stupid name for a team based in a state of primarily Caucasian Mormons. 

The Tennessee Titans were officially the Tennessee Oilers for two years 97-98 before they decided to rename themselves.  That makes it the same as the Jets wearing their original NY Titans gear.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2019 at 3:02 PM, Rochesterfan said:

This is not correct - Cleveland sued to keep the history and colors of the Browns.  This forced the Baltimore team to get a new name and they have no history of people/players that were in Cleveland before.

For example: Belicheck was Cleveland’s Head Coach is is not a Head Coach of record in Baltimore for the Ravens because the team history did not travel.

Jim Brown has no history or connection to the Ravens.

just to clarify. You are correct in spirit.

NFL, Modell, Browns, Dogpound fans behind lawsuit, City of Cleveland behind lawsuit, Baltimore, etc etc all agreed to keep Browns HX and colors/logos in Cleveland in return of a promise to get a new Browns team either by expansion or relocation in agreed upon time-frame.(1999 deadline) and Ravens to get Cleveland franchise moved to Baltimore and rebrand.

As part of the deal all parties agreed to stop all litigation. So courts never ruled and unsure how they would have. NFL probably did not want a court deciding precedent and decided negotiation was the best way to proceed and settled for presumably what they thought was a better and fair deal for all.

Edited by cba fan

On 1/7/2019 at 2:32 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was reading the other day that the Tennesee Titans consider Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, etc members of their Hall of Fame. I find that ridiculous as none of those guys played a down in Tennessee. I know legally speaking, they're allowed to do that. But ethically speaking. Should they keep team history like the Titans, Colts, etc. Or adopt a whole new identity so a future expansion team can pick them up, a la, When the Browns became the Ravens?

I don’t care for it either. Will Stabler be on the Vegas wall of Shame?