Final Tremaine Edmunds numbers, shoutout from Bills PR

Logic

The fact that he did all of this as a 20-year-old who never before played the position is just astonishing. 

And aside from personal stats, he was the "quarterback" of the 2nd ranked defense and 1st ranked pass defense in the NFL. That's huge.

I know some fans felt he disappointed this year, but I don't think that at all, not even a little bit. Crazy what he did at such a young age. Future is extremely bright.

• Like (+1) 11

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...and yet he badly failed the eye test of being a run stuffing MLB.  Let's see if they go into 2019 prepared to go with him at MLB the entire season, or will they have a Plan B to move him outside and move somone else inside.

They didn't draft him to be a run stuffing MLB. They drafted him to be a MLB in the year 2019 and beyond, where pass defense is the name of the game. And as the stats said, he defended 12 passes, had 2 INTs and 2 Sacks. He negatively affected the opponent's passing game quite well. The run defense instincts should improve with time and experience. Anyone expecting him to move outside (where Milano is already starting and playing well) is going to be disappointed.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The most exciting part to me was that as the season progressed, so did Edmunds. Slow start, but by week 17 he looked very different. Like Allen, that progress was all I was looking for this season. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Foxx said:

he needs to learn how to tackle better. his poor center of gravity enables him getting blown up by runners and blockers alike.

Yeah. Low man wins, and with his uncommon height for the position, he's almost never the low man. If he can improve his block shedding and tackling, he'll be the total package.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

They didn't draft him to be a run stuffing MLB. They drafted him to be a MLB in the year 2019 and beyond, where pass defense is the name of the game. 

Oh really?  Point me to the interview with Beane or McD where they say this.

So what happens when a team realizes he is a liability in the running game, and just keeps pounding the rock?  I'm going to guess that most teams still run the ball at least 40% of the time.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. Low man wins, and with his uncommon height for the position, he's almost never the low man. If he can improve his block shedding and tackling, he'll be the total package.

i was very dissatisfied with his play against the Patriots and seriously wondered if we missed with the pick (at the least with his current position). then he comes back the very next game against the Phish and totally redeems himself. there is hope.

another item i might mention is that he prolly needs to put on 10 pounds of upper body muscle.

He was outright horrific the first few games of the season, he looked lost. Then after a few games he looked much better, he was still up and down a bit (Which is to be expected of almost any rookie let alone a 20 year old) but he looked like he belonged on the field at least. He slowly started to look better and better as the season went (The last Pats game being his only outright bad game in my opinion) I think he hits the gym hard in the off-season, watches the tape, and simply benefits from growing more into his body and he has a big leap in year 2. 

I think the pick will be looked at as a great one and Edumonds will be a foundational piece for this team for years to come. White, Edumonds, Milano, T.Johnson, and possibly H.Phillips and Shaq could all be the core to a very good defense for the next 2-4 seasons. 

Is there any chance they could use him more in the Lorenzo Alexander role if they get another LB who can start in coverage. Basically more as a puss rusher? The league is all about getting to the QB and he has shown that ability when given the opportunity. His size/speed combo reminds me of Mack and guys of that ilk.