Insomnia

Another Fan

13 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Does anyone here deal with or have dealt with?  In my 20s for the most part sleeping was easy, now in my 30s it’s a bit harder for me to get good night sleeps. 

Tylenol PM I think would be helpful.  Anything else anyone’s done?

How big are those 3 cups of coffee you have daily?  I know for me personally I had to cut back, probably in my mid-thirties.  Now I throttle it up to 1 1/2 mugs-2 per day and when necessary cut back to one before gradually increasing it a bit when "necessary." (I also had to switch to no coffee past 10am)

Edited by Cripple Creek

14 minutes ago, Steve O said:

30's is awful young to start relying on anything. Have you tried exercising after dinner? Even just a brisk walk for 2-3 miles an hour or two before bed? Make sure you check with your Dr. first if you're really out of shape.

just like at the old school accounting firms, your 40s were way too young to be drunk every day by noon

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

just like at the old school accounting firms, your 40s were way too young to be drunk every day by noon

I save my yearly quota of "drunk by noon's" for home games. Of course, we had one nite game and I missed a game after shoulder surgery, so I get two extra in 2019!

10 minutes ago, Steve O said:

I save my yearly quota of "drunk by noon's" for home games. Of course, we had one nite game and I missed a game after shoulder surgery, so I get two extra in 2019!

that's okay

my last year there one in his mid 40s that was totally slammed by noon every day and sleeping with a married woman at the firm, he would leave his divorce discussions on the fax machines for hours and our entertainment.

I beat insomnia with the following approach:

- increase saturated fat intake by eating more eggs and red meat (no, this is not bad for you)

- take a zinc/magnesium/calcium supplement twice per day

- cut out mobile device usage a minimum of 1 hour prior to bedtime 

Hope that helps 

On 1/2/2019 at 7:15 AM, Another Fan said:

Does anyone here deal with or have dealt with?  In my 20s for the most part sleeping was easy, now in my 30s it’s a bit harder for me to get good night sleeps. 

Tylenol PM I think would be helpful.  Anything else anyone’s done?

Have you given my suggestion a try yet???

I started having symptoms of sleep apnea in my twenties.  Do you snore? If so, do people ever tell you that your snoring hits a crescendo, then drops off?  Those observations by my college roommate and then by my wife inspired me to get a sleep study and get a CPAP.  Talk about a love/hate relationship.

i find that most sleep aid pills make me groggy the next day, and I also get restless legs when I take them.  It’s weird but not that uncommon.  

insomnia isn't a bad thing

don't listen to people telling you they get 8-9 perfect hours every night, it doesn't happen for 90% of the population..  :D

accepting some quirks like insomnia (short term) is a decent goal

On 1/3/2019 at 9:25 AM, Steve O said:

30's is awful young to start relying on anything. Have you tried exercising after dinner? Even just a brisk walk for 2-3 miles an hour or two before bed? Make sure you check with your Dr. first if you're really out of shape.

I find when I exercise in the evening my system gets a jump start and it makes it harder to fall asleep, not easier.

There are a million tips out there for better sleep or ways to avoid insomnia.

One thing that I think is useful, good advice, is to NOT get into bed until you are feeling sleepy and are ready to go to sleep.  And when you are in bed, don't do anything other than try to sleep.  If it doesn't happen after like 15 or 20 minutes and you are tossing and turning and dwelling on the fact that you aren't falling asleep, get up out of bed, leave the room, and do something else for a little while until you feel sleepy again.

I.E., use the bed for sleeping and nothing else.  

Some people lie in bed all evening, hanging out in there like it's a chair, watching TV or surfing the 'net or whatever...that is not going to help you if you have trouble falling asleep.

No problems with insomnia,  but recently my wife seems to have some real issues with me snoring. She got a body pillow for me so I can sleep on my side and some nasal strips. I tried those last night and woke up around 2 in an empty bed, so I'm assuming they didn't work. When I woke up this morning, she said she ordered me some type of head gear chin strap apparatus. This should be fun.