Josh Allen is a cheat code on 3rd and 4th and 1!!

One  thing I noticed since Allen has come back from injury is Buffalo being way more aggressive on 4th and 1 or less and seems everytime they just run the sneak with Allen. I can't find the exact numbers but there has been a few occasions and he has yet to be stopped. 

This is a very important and underrated part of his game.  Just look at how much we struggled at 3rd and/or 4th and 1 last year and before the injury. Very inconsistent. Yesterday he did it again , on what was almost closer to 2 yards and easily got the first. 

Can Josh Allen be stopped in this situation? He looks like a cheat code in these situations , it's pretty incredible , he's automatic at such a crucial down and distance , I love it!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have noticed the same thing. It seems to be automatic 1st down in those situations. That’s what 6’4” with a horse of a body and big hands can get you. I’ve seen Brady do that for years to sustain drives. I’m glad we have one of our own who can do it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

One  thing I noticed since Allen has come back from injury is Buffalo being way more aggressive on 4th and 1 or less and seems everytime they just run the sneak with Allen. I can't find the exact numbers but there has been a few occasions and he has yet to be stopped. 

This is a very important and underrated part of his game.  Just look at how much we struggled at 3rd and/or 4th and 1 last year and before the injury. Very inconsistent. Yesterday he did it again , on what was almost closer to 2 yards and easily got the first. 

Can Josh Allen be stopped in this situation? He looks like a cheat code in these situations , it's pretty incredible , he's automatic at such a crucial down and distance , I love it!!

Not that I don't kind of agree with you but you forgot about the fumble in the Lions game.

Edited by Warcodered

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Huge asset to Allen's game. I figured that this has already been noticed.

Many a Brady drives would have petered out and many points left on the board if he wasn't a crazy high % player on the QB sneak.

Watching Brady do it for years has been maddening. And, like I said, I see plenty of teams with big bodied, qb’s not doing it. I have to wonder if it’s a bit more of an art form than we think and not every big bodied qb has “it”. Maybe Allen just happens to be especially slippery with it.... much like Brady. 

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Not that I don't kind of agree with you but you forgot about the fumble in the Lions game.

That wasn’t a sneak like he’s referring to though. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

I like this play by allen/McDermott. I believe they took a page out of the brady/Belichick book and good for them. 

However I did hate the trying to draw the defense Offside thing where Allen would do the snap count 3 times and then snap the ball. I feel like they did this every single week and it didn't work once 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Watching Brady do it for years has been maddening. And, like I said, I see plenty of teams with big bodied, qb’s not doing it. I have to wonder if it’s a bit more of an art form than we think and maybe Allen just happens to be especially slippery with it.... much like Brady. 

That wasn’t a sneak like he’s referring to though. 

Nah it ain't size. Allen and Brady just seem better at it. It's like a RB vision having the ability to find the hole to squeeze through a split second faster. 

Definitely not size. Probably length though and just quick vision and reflexes.

Unlike many, I have no problem with Allen running the ball.  He’s a big guy and I’d rather have him tackled 9 yards down the field by a 180lb safety than be crushed by a 300 lb lineman when the pocket collapses.

Instead of taking a sack and losing eight yards on the play, or throwing the ball away, and a precious down with it, I’ve got no problem with him getting at least two or three yards on a scramble, and lots of times those scrambles turn into big gains and drive defining plays.

As long as he slides or goes out of bounds and avoids the hits whenever possible, I’m all about Allen using his legs.  If he doesn’t, it negates one of his strengths and makes it easier for the opposing defense.  

Look what Bortles did to us in the playoff game last year, his scrambling broke our back.  You never hear people complaining about Aaron Rodgers when he scrambles for yardage and keeps a drive alive.  

It seems to me that most quarterbacks are injured getting nailed in the pocket trying to get a ball off when a 250 lb DE is teeing off on them.  If you’re running, you usually dictate the contact at the end of the play.  That seems safer to me.

Keep running Josh! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Nah it ain't size. Allen and Brady just seem better at it. It's like a RB vision having the ability to find the hole to squeeze through a split second faster. 

Definitely not size. Probably length though and just quick vision and reflexes.

i agree--size is overrated..and brady sure aint athletic--well mentally he is. On sneaks its about sensing when the D is about to fire and then either catch them leaning forward or back.And also sensing where the free D player is gonna lunge into the gap and avoiding the direct hit. Allen has that and of course Brady has that.Timing is critical and thats what the QB controls.

• Like (+1) 1

So far he hasn’t pulled a Trent Edwards.....reach out with the ball to cross the line.....only to have it taken away from you! It looked like he was presenting a gift!

It’s not a TD, play goes on, Trent! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

If Brady can do it and never be stopped, a guy like Allen should be able to too. I hope they continue to do it each and every time until teams find a way to stop it.

But let's be honest. 3rd and 4th and 1 is a high percentage conversion anyway.

55 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Unlike many, I have no problem with Allen running the ball.  He’s a big guy and I’d rather have him tackled 9 yards down the field by a 180lb safety than be crushed by a 300 lb lineman when the pocket collapses.

Instead of taking a sack and losing eight yards on the play, or throwing the ball away, and a precious down with it, I’ve got no problem with him getting at least two or three yards on a scramble, and lots of times those scrambles turn into big gains and drive defining plays.

As long as he slides or goes out of bounds and avoids the hits whenever possible, I’m all about Allen using his legs.  If he doesn’t, it negates one of his strengths and makes it easier for the opposing defense.  

Look what Bortles did to us in the playoff game last year, his scrambling broke our back.  You never hear people complaining about Aaron Rodgers when he scrambles for yardage and keeps a drive alive.  

It seems to me that most quarterbacks are injured getting nailed in the pocket trying to get a ball off when a 250 lb DE is teeing off on them.  If you’re running, you usually dictate the contact at the end of the play.  That seems safer to me.

Keep running Josh! 

While Josh has shown an improvement in awareness as the season has gone along, he’s still taking risks with his body that concern me. The guy must have Gumby knees after some of the semi-slides he’s been hit on just recently. That, and apparently he’s not got the same protection under the rules that guys named Brady have, so.....

1 hour ago, Augie said:

So far he hasn’t pulled a Trent Edwards.....reach out with the ball to cross the line.....only to have it taken away from you! It looked like he was presenting a gift!

It’s not a TD, play goes on, Trent! 

Great memory.. I recall the exact play you are referring to.