Its funny that a 25 yard dart is easier for Josh than a quick slant

Ramza86

Actually the misses worked in his favor. Not just the TD but there was another missed slant that was caught and got extra yardage. Would not surprise me if Daboll looks at that film and develops a new fake slant type route. A route like that would catch on quickly in the NFL. And would confuse defenses whether we are running a slant or a slant/curl  type of route.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Actually the misses worked in his favor. Not just the TD but there was another missed slant that was caught and got extra yardage. Would not surprise me if Daboll looks at that film and develops a new fake slant type route. A route like that would catch on quickly in the NFL. And would confuse defenses whether we are running a slant or a slant/curl  type of route.

Maybe he already did :)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

That route already exists.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MarkyMannn said:

Slant accuracy was scary, but that is just a practice timing thing I believe

When I watched Josh do it, I was nervous.  Then I saw Mayfield miss the same pass, and it got me wondering if it is a more difficult throw then we appreciate.  You are probably right, it must be a practice-timing thing. It happens so quickly. 

He's more accurate from distance than nearby. I imagine that's a huge part of his completion % story. Can't be lasering to people so close by and needs to have some touch on his passes.

Watch how Nick Foles leads his quick outs to his runningbacks with touch and in perfect stride for them to do damage. He gives them the ball when (early so they can make defenders miss after catching!) and exactly how they want it to get the most YAC. Dude slashes teams with 50+ reception yards from his RBs getting the ball perfectly in stride before throwing down the hammer on the deep ball to Alshon. It'll make JA much more dangerous if he can get better at these.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

That route already exists.

The back shoulder slant? If they are in man, and that the DB is playing off our WR, and what leverage they take on the slant, and throw in that pre-snap read to check that the linebackers and safeties are not in position to jump a short route ala Edmunds, then it is money.

You are probably right - there is a route for just about every situation. My sense is that Josh is a bit creative with his routes and reads.

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He's more accurate from distance than nearby. I imagine that's a huge part of his completion % story. Can't be lasering to people so close by and needs to have some touch on his passes.

Watch how Nick Foles leads his quick outs to his runningbacks with touch and in perfect stride for them to do damage. He gives them the ball when (early so they can make defenders miss after catching!) and exactly how they want it to get the most YAC. Dude slashes teams with 50+ reception yards from his RBs getting the ball perfectly in stride before throwing down the hammer on the deep ball to Alshon. It'll make JA much more dangerous if he can get better at these.

My guess is that Josh, with that cannon arm, has not been asked before to do too much with slants, swing/wheel, comeback, or short back-shoulder passes.

Probably why Daboll stuck with those so much yesterday in a somewhat meaningless game. That, and Miami was trying to do the NE thing of keeping Josh hemmed in the pocket and giving up the underneath stuff to force Allen into quick pre-snap decisions of where to go with the ball, test his short game, and to protect against deeper throws that he has more comfort making.

If really is crazy how his deep balls are solid, his intermediate throws are lasers, but his short game is all over the place.  

If he can get better with slants and hitting checkdowns....watch out.  

The slant to Zay for a TD was hilarious.  If thrown accurately, it’s a 7-8 yard gain, instead it spins Zay around for a 20 yard TD. 

• Like (+1) 2

By the end of the game it seemed clear to me that those back shoulder slants were intentional.   If I recall correctly, the first one was really ugly behind Zay.   Then there was the touchdown throw that Zay made what seemed like a miraculous spin and catch before he sprinted to the pylon.   Then there was another one.   Along the way, there was one where Zay began his turn before the ball was delivered, at which point I was sure the Bills had come into the game looking for that play.   Watching the replay of the TD, it looks to me like Zay may have been surprised the ball got there that quickly but not surprised that it was thrown behind him.   He made a really nice play on the ball, but I think he was able to do it because he was expecting the ball to be there.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

The slant to Zay for a TD was hilarious.  If thrown accurately, it’s a 7-8 yard gain, instead it spins Zay around for a 20 yard TD. 

Yeah that was good stuff.  Zay had to contort his body to catch that, and spin the opposite direction from the intended flow of the play.   I thought that was a one-off but then he goes and throws a few other terrible slant passes.  Gotta improve that.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If really is crazy how his deep balls are solid, his intermediate throws are lasers, but his short game is all over the place.  

If he can get better with slants and hitting checkdowns....watch out.  

We've seen Allen throw all season, and we haven't seen him miss that consistently, ever.  Which makes me think those weren't misses.   They were looking for the back shoulder throw.  

When we drafted Allen, I thought he was losman 2.0. He definetly has losman traits with his big arm, but I think he'll be so much better after watching him this year. Plus I think Allen will benefit from our current coaching staff vs losmans coaches at the time 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

By the end of the game it seemed clear to me that those back shoulder slants were intentional.   If I recall correctly, the first one was really ugly behind Zay.   Then there was the touchdown throw that Zay made what seemed like a miraculous spin and catch before he sprinted to the pylon.   Then there was another one.   Along the way, there was one where Zay began his turn before the ball was delivered, at which point I was sure the Bills had come into the game looking for that play.   Watching the replay of the TD, it looks to me like Zay may have been surprised the ball got there that quickly but not surprised that it was thrown behind him.   He made a really nice play on the ball, but I think he was able to do it because he was expecting the ball to be there.  

I’m 99% sure we didn’t invent a new pass play called “the back shoulder slant”.  

Josh is a stud, and if he can get even a little more accurate on the short stuff, will be as dangerous a QB as there is in the NFL. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Every QB has inaccurate passes.  Every single one.  Even Tommy boy, even Brees.  If we had even an average number of drops this year, his completion % would have been just fine.  Especially if you consider the true drops, and not just the ones that are official.