Sal Maiorana: Is Jason Croom Ready to Become the Bills' Starting TE in 2019?

26CornerBlitz

Is Jason Croom Ready to Be the Starting TE Next Season?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jason Croom Ready to Be the Starting TE Next Season?

• Yes. He's Ready.
    • No. He'll never be starting caliber.
    • Could be, but needs more development

Why can we not develop players and keep them as depth?  I do not understand the thought process of many here.

He is not a complete TE now.  He could be with improved blocking.  I am willing to give him a chance with additional time.

Thomas has not developed - time to move on.

2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

How is having a guy with his kind of work ethic on this team bad? He is only a second-year player, he can continue to improve. 

I don't think the guy can be an every-down TE, but he is probably good depth at a cheap price.  

He is a backup with some potential. I wouldn't roll into a season with him as the starter but if he is your backup TE you have decent depth. Will he ever be starting caliber? I don't honestly know but I think he could be if he takes positive steps in development. I would more or less project his ceiling as a low end starter or a high end backup. 

For sure we need to upgrade TE but I do like what I'm hearing about Croom's work ethic.  And he has made some nice catches.  In the fullness of time that fumble against NE at the 5 yard line will fade away.  After all he was trying to get extra yardage and it's not like he has a lot of experience running with the ball in the open field.

If Croom can be a contributing factor next season it means we only need one more TE from FA and that frees up money to look at other needs - of which there are plenty.  So I'm rooting for this guy to make the leap to the next level in the off season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He can be "ok" as a #2 or 3 guy if he can stop the fumbles. Id rather see the Bills sign a Jesse James, draft a guy and then have Croom for depth. 

The guy "can" be a number 2 or he could be much better next year and become a starting caliber tight end.  They will bring in more competition I'm sure but when you see a player continue to develop in the time they are here, you have to give them the chance to compete for the job.  Certainly worth seeing what he can do next year.  

59 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

The guy "can" be a number 2 or he could be much better next year and become a starting caliber tight end.  They will bring in more competition I'm sure but when you see a player continue to develop in the time they are here, you have to give them the chance to compete for the job.  Certainly worth seeing what he can do next year.  

Worth seeing? Of course. Counting on it and not doing something to upgrade the position? Absolutely not. No, you don't "have" to give anoyone a chance to compete. You "have" to upgrade and if Croom can step up his game, great. If not the cupboard isn't bare. 

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Worth seeing? Of course. Counting on it and not doing something to upgrade the position? Absolutely not. No, you don't "have" to give anoyone a chance to compete. You "have" to upgrade and if Croom can step up his game, great. If not the cupboard isn't bare. 

I said they will likely bring in more competition...my point was don't label a player a backup too early. And you should give someone a chance to compete who has shown continuous improvement.  

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

I said they will likely bring in more competition...my point was don't label a player a backup too early. And you should give someone a chance to compete who has shown continuous improvement.  

Yea, read what you said about compitition. And I disagree. I don't want someone on Crooms level brought in so he can have a chance. I want someone brought in that is better than what we have. I have no issue having him compete for a roster spot. Hope he makes it.

Me, I'd get rid of the lot of our so-called TEs.

Clay is done, and the rest have had their chances.

Thomas has been around for years, and still isn't any good.

Croom has had two years, and although he's flashed ability, he's also nowhere near being starter quality. As his blocking is rubbish, he's not really even a useful backup at this point.

Even with prior staffs, we seem to keep trying to develop TEs, for years, and none of them have amounted to anything. We need to go to FA for a proven vet, and draft someone who actually knows how to play the position in the first place.

He cannot block, a TE that cannot block isn’t a TE.

Crooms isn’t  even back up quality. He’s Logan Thomas.

He runs terrible routes as well and his hands are suspect.

This teams management is fascinated with marginal projects who take up a spot on special teams. Our special teams are terrible because of the lack of talent.

They truly need to cut these players like Crooms and get some real talent in here.

No.

Next question.

He is the one of our three TEs I would be least annoyed to see back, but no way as a starter and my actual preference is to cut ties with all three and completely start over. Still say that the guy we cut and will play against on Sunday would have outperformed all 3 guys on this roster this year. No, Nick O'Leary is not a superstar. He is not even starting calibre himself. But we have persisted with a bloke with no knees, a practice squad level talent and a failed ex QB who has no business being on any NFL roster.

• Like (+1) 2