Tremaine Edmunds: He was the worst player on the field Dec 23 (vs NE)

BADOLBILZ

46 minutes ago, wppete said:

It seems like he doesn’t like contact and is not a very physical guy despite his size. I feel your MLB should be the most physical guy out there. I wonder if a move to WLB or even DE on passing downs is a better position for him. 

In place of whom? WLB is Milano and he’s not coming out.

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

On the defensive side he was brutal and here is why

- Consistently out of position

- Over pursues

- Plays too tall

- Never lowers his shoulder pads

- Weak tackler- everytimehe tackles the player goes forward a few more yards

- Takes horrible angles- misses way to many tackles.

this one is on the regime.

He should be playing OLB

That's how he played in college. I really like him, but I was  hoping for a Spikes type thumper in the middle. He's always performed better on the outside. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Lorax...

Lorax only plays LB when they go 4-3 and he plays the run stopping SLB position. Doesn’t seem like a good fix if his problem is physical play. The only reason he’s getting more snaps the last two weeks is because Milano is hurt. And I haven’t seen any reason to think that Edmunds could be a better pass rusher than Lorax.

Edited by vincec

Yeah he was awful versus the run , he deserves credit for his coverage ability though and would love to see him blitz more , when he does , he gets to the QB super quick.

This wasn't the first game he was awful either, he was getting picked on alot earlier on in the season too. I'm sure not having Milano hurt his game but I can't quite put my finger on the reasons behind his poor play. 

I'd like to see a move to olb and even DE on occasion , either way I believe he has ridiculous physical ability , just gotta figure out how to get the most out of him and I trust our coaching staff will accomplish that

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

What does this mean?  What accountability would you like to see?

We had a GM who was afraid to make mistakes.  He drafted EJ and was afraid to draft a QB for the 4 years after that.

But he traded up for Sammy. He traded for McCoy. He signed or drafted guys like Harvin, Karlos William's, and Darby...

What the hell are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Preston Brown is a good example of the opposite of Edmunds......a LB who was playing efficiently and near his ceiling as a rookie.

That's the norm really.

Brown was brutal in coverage though.. Edmunds has been very good in coverage the last 8-9 weeks. He can be coached up on taking better angles, maintaining gap integrity , getting lower while tackling, etc

Brown is always going to be a liability in coverage, in a passing league

Takes good angles? No.

Has good instincts? No.

Makes strong contact with ball carriers? No.

Tries to run around blocks? Yes.

Tries to circle in to make tackles? Yes. 

Often hits the wrong hole? Yes.

Kid has a ton of growing up to do before he becomes effective. Of all my concerns the biggest is his apparent lack of instinctual play.  Can't teach instincts no matter how big, strong and fast he may be.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That's how he played in college. I really like him, but I was  hoping for a Spikes type thumper in the middle. He's always performed better on the outside. 

And that's why the guy essentially was forced to retire in his late 20s. Teams don't employ that style of LB really anymore. Not as a starter or a large investment of draft capital or salary.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was awful today.

Worst player on the field.

He's been poor most of the season and I think today was on par with or as bad as he's been all season.

Critically poor instincts........big target who can't get off blocks.........not strong or physical enough.......poor leverage........doesn't move well thru traffic........doesn't make plays in a scheme where he should be making a ton of them.

He's young........yeah........but this isn't the QB position.......good MLB's are almost without exception tremendous right out of the gate.

Don't be surprised if he's at OLB next season folks.

It's simple simon..he should replace Alexander next year and the Beane counter should draft a true inside LB.

Edited by Misterbluesky

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Brown was brutal in coverage though.. Edmunds has been very good in coverage the last 8-9 weeks. He can be coached up on taking better angles, maintaining gap integrity , getting lower while tackling, etc

Brown is always going to be a liability in coverage, in a passing league

Edmunds hasn't been very good at anything.

Preston Brown is a run of the mill MLB but like most MLB's he was about as good as he was going to get as a rookie.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

It's simple simon..he should replace Alexander next year and draft a true inside LB.

The NFL is obviously more of a 2 LB league now with extra DB's replacing the 3rd LB on about 2/3 of the snaps.

But yeah I am thinking more of Edmunds as a pass rusher who can flex out and cover TE's or drop in coverage some.

It's another projection but it's closer to what he was at VA Tech.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was awful today.

Worst player on the field.

He's been poor most of the season and I think today was on par with or as bad as he's been all season.

Critically poor instincts........big target who can't get off blocks.........not strong or physical enough.......poor leverage........doesn't move well thru traffic........doesn't make plays in a scheme where he should be making a ton of them.

He's young........yeah........but this isn't the QB position.......good MLB's are almost without exception tremendous right out of the gate.

Don't be surprised if he's at OLB next season folks.

You sure about that? I might say Tom Brady was the worst player on the field today. If he would have thrown the ball more he would have cost them the game.

37 minutes ago, vincec said:

Lorax only plays LB when they go 4-3 and he plays the run stopping SLB position. Doesn’t seem like a good fix if his problem is physical play. The only reason he’s getting more snaps the last two weeks is because Milano is hurt. And I haven’t seen any reason to think that Edmunds could be a better pass rusher than Lorax.

SLB has less responsibility and fewer reads.   Reading and reacting are Edmonds' biggest weakness.    Seems like a better development plan would have been not to throw so much at a 20-year old playing a new position at the NFL level.   That they did is just another example of this HCs hubris...

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He got a pretty bad concussion trying to tackle a fullback head up and missed a game and since then he's appeared to be much more contact shy.

Julian Stanford outplayed him in his absence.

Julian Stanford didn't outlay him...if he did, then Stanford would be the starter.  Not that it matters anyhow...

Regarding Edmunds this season, he reminds me alot of Ryan Shaziers rookie season.  Ryan was not physical and always seemed 1 steo behind....fast forward a couple years and he was one of the best in the league.

Give the guy some time to develop with another NFL offseason

• Haha (+1) 1