HS wrestler told to cut hair or forfeit

Steve O

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Great example of a young man putting the team before himself.  I applaud him.

Irrespective of the political implications, obviously.

Well, I don't know what the rules are now. Back in the 70's the rule was hair is above ear and above normal collar. Some refs let you get away with hair not being up to code, some did not. I always pushed the envelope which led to many impromptu haircuts. Never thought I was putting the team first by getting it cut before the match, more like I got caught, time to face the consequences (lousy impromptu haircut.) Certainly not something that deserved accolades. Did a little research since starting this and it does appear the NJ rules regarding hair length are basically the same as in my day, but do allow for a hair cover now. Not sure of the particulars on the hair cover though.

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

Well, I don't know what the rules are now. Back in the 70's the rule was hair is above ear and above normal collar. Some refs let you get away with hair not being up to code, some did not. I always pushed the envelope which led to many impromptu haircuts. Never thought I was putting the team first by getting it cut before the match, more like I got caught, time to face the consequences (lousy impromptu haircut.) Certainly not something that deserved accolades. Did a little research since starting this and it does appear the NJ rules regarding hair length are basically the same as in my day, but do allow for a hair cover now. Not sure of the particulars on the hair cover though.

My son wrestled much more recently and the rules you lived by aren't in place.  Can you imagine all those girls running around with the cut you describe?  This is getting far too much attention, but it seems the cut was at the whim of the ref.

A little more about the ref:

And as the video spread, another issue came to light. The referee who spoke to Mr. Johnson, Alan Maloney, had been accused in 2016 of using a racial slur against a black referee at a social gathering of New Jersey wrestling officials. Mr. Maloney was suspended, but the suspension was overturned after an appeals process and he was allowed to continue officiating.

On Friday, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, which oversees high school sports, said in a statement that it would review the matter and that it had provided information to the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights.

The group also said that the New Jersey Wrestling Officials Association should not allow Mr. Maloney to continue officiating until an investigation had been completed to “avoid potential distractions for the competing wrestlers.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/nyregion/andrew-johnson-wrestler-dreadlocks.html

It says they told the coach and wrestler days before that he had to wear a cover. Then they showed up to the match and had the wrong type of cover. 

It's a stupid rule, but if you're gonna do a stupid sport like wrestling, you have to go by the stupid rules. 

The ref should be in trouble if he let other kids wrestle with long hair, but if this is his thing (enforcing the hair rule), then I say non-issue. 

But you just know half this country will be up in arms over this crap. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

It says they told the coach and wrestler days before that he had to wear a cover. Then they showed up to the match and had the wrong type of cover. 

It's a stupid rule, but if you're gonna do a stupid sport like wrestling, you have to go by the stupid rules. 

The ref should be in trouble if he let other kids wrestle with long hair, but if this is his thing (enforcing the hair rule), then I say non-issue. 

By half you mean about 25% at each end of the spectrum?

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

Just curious but what is a right cover compared to a wrong cover? It would be interesting to know if this wrestler competed in previous meets with the braided hair? If there was a long hair rule it seems to me that his coach should have addressed this issue with the wrestler before the match. 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was told to get a haircut or I couldn’t continue as an alter boy. I mentioned Jesus had long hair. Fr McCarthy did not share my sense of humor. 

Jesus was from the middle east.  He wasn't a tall, blonde hair, blue-eyed Northern European...

...Jesus was 5'-3", wiry hair Arab looking guy with dark skin.  I made the mistake and I told this to my grandmother... She promptly called me the devil.  About the same time they were allowing females on the alter.  My younger sister told my grandmother that alter girls was a good thing, welcomed change. Grandma called My sister the devil too.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Jesus was from the middle east.  He wasn't a tall, blonde hair, blue-eyed Northern European...

...Jesus was 5'-3", wiry hair Arab looking guy with dark skin.  I made the mistake and I told this to my grandmother... She promptly called me the devil.  About the same time they were allowing females on the alter.  My younger sister told my grandmother that alter girls was a good thing, welcomed change. Grandma called My sister the devil too.

My boys are half Lebanese. A week late for a haircut and it’s hard to get on an airplane! 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He wasn’t Arabic according to the Bible. He was a descendant of Abraham , who was from Ur and that isn’t in the Arabic peninsula at all.

the Bible says Hagar who birthed ismael from Abraham is the father of Arabic people 

The correct term would be Semitic and yes Arabs are Semitic but not all Semitic people are Arabs

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exiled's Grandma ....

Image result for carrie's mother

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He wasn’t Arabic according to the Bible. He was a descendant of Abraham , who was from Ur and that isn’t in the Arabic peninsula at all

The correct term would be Semitic and yes Arabs are Semitic but not all Semitic people are Arabs

Yes. My bad.

Probably why Grandma called me the devil.

?

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Exiled's Grandma ....

She was a Yankees fan too.  LoL...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I hope Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

well, grandma was half right

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Exiled's Grandma ....

Who is the hawt redhead?

• Haha (+1) 1

We went through this in the post-hippy days when they enforced hair length and forbidding of facial hair

friends said the worst was if the opponent didn’t bathe for weeks, as well as the effect of ethnic food on the sweat of opponents from the other hemisphere 

Edited by row_33