Cover1 Allen’s progress

jdonley1180

Already Posted in the Josh Allen's progress thread.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Detroit Lions and head coach Matt Patricia curated a gameplan that forced QB Josh Allen to play from the pocket. They limited his ability to extend plays outside of the pocket and really forced him to ‘play QB.’  The rookie answered by doing just that. Allen rarely pulled the ball down too early or looked to escape the pocket. Instead, he trusted his offensive line, he trusted the scheme, and he let the game come to him. His showing in the 14-13 win was very promising, so we jumped into the film room to break down some of his play from the Week 15 matchup.

Intro
1:43-Spacing Concept to Robert Foster
6:53-Spacing Concept to Zay Jones
14:51-Air Raid Mesh/Flood concept to Robert Foster
22:35-3x1Josh Allen rushing touchdown
28:48-Empty set Deep V route by Robert Foster
35:04-Mills Concept to Deonte Thompson drop
44:24-Cross Concept to Isaiah McKenzie
51:55-Deep over TD to Robert Foster
57:56-Wrap up

• Sad 1

I was impressed with the breakdown.  Thought they had some interesting things to say, especially with regards to how Allen has been going through his progressions.

Also, I had seen some "Is Robert Foster a #1 Receiver?" threads in the past, and had kinda chuckled, shrugged them off, remembered the preseason and the early games, didn't even bother to go into the thread, and just thought to myself "Nope, definitely not."  This breakdown really made me rethink that.  Foster is demanding all kinds of attention from safeties.  The Lions at least rolled coverage his way a lot.  He was definitely impressive in this game, and so it's not just Allen that we can talk about making progress.  Foster's become a much better route runner, a smarter receiver, on top of being incredibly fast.  Now if we can just get him to be able to catch a bit better, maybe just catch it on the first attempt, rather than having drops or him having to double catch it sometimes...

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Too bad that play wasn't completed.  Would have added 50 yards and a TD.  Something that doesn't show up on stat sheet.

That was my thought to.  What's forgotten in all this is just how good that pass was.  If the Detroit DB doesn't tackle the WR he catches the ball and glides into the end zone.  It was a perfect 50 yard pass!

That play should also become the first exhibit in any defense of awarding the ball at the spot of the foul for pass interference.  Those folks clamoring for PI to be a 15 yard penalty need to watch that play and realize DB's would tackle the receiver EVERY time downfield if beaten knowing it would only cost them 15 yards. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

I was impressed with the breakdown.  Thought they had some interesting things to say, especially with regards to how Allen has been going through his progressions.

Also, I had seen some "Is Robert Foster a #1 Receiver?" threads in the past, and had kinda chuckled, shrugged them off, remembered the preseason and the early games, didn't even bother to go into the thread, and just thought to myself "Nope, definitely not."  This breakdown really made me rethink that.  Foster is demanding all kinds of attention from safeties.  The Lions at least rolled coverage his way a lot.  He was definitely impressive in this game, and so it's not just Allen that we can talk about making progress.  Foster's become a much better route runner, a smarter receiver, on top of being incredibly fast.  Now if we can just get him to be able to catch a bit better, maybe just catch it on the first attempt, rather than having drops or him having to double catch it sometimes...

I want him to be peerless price. We need to find a moulds.

Buffalo peerless price, not Atlanta peerless price.

• Like (+1) 5

57 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

I am with you on your thoughts towards the Foster threads.  These route breakdowns were excellent  and showed how the Bills' offense is evolving and really putting pressure on the coverage, especially the saftey in  "single high."   I feel like I learned something here and can't say that too often about the content I view here.  Man there is space open all over the field.  They should show this film to a prospective FA TE and ask if he thinks he can exploit that coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

I really wish we still had Goodwin. His speed in addition to Foster's?! 

Headache for DB's

I think we will be looking for a Goodwin in the offseason.

I still feel that a big physical basketball player WR that can actually catch a ball in traffic would be very helpful to this team.