AFC Superbowl Window Opening For Everyone..(minus NE) ?

corta765

Watching the Patriots/Steelers game it had the feel of two prizefighters who are on their last legs (finally). Don't get me wrong if I had the pick of the Patriots/Steelers or the rest of the AFC I may take those two, but overall it seems that the shroud of darkness from those two is at last nearing its end which is exciting.

Consider this: Since 2001 12 of the 16 NFC teams have appeared in at least one Super Bowl with only the Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, & Redskins not making an appearance. By comparison their AFC brethren have seen just 5 of their 16 teams appear in the Super Bowl. The common theme obviously is Brady, Manning, & Big Ben and their dominance eliminated the field with ease. By the same token the NFC did have some great teams but it saw a greater spread of talent compared to what the AFC had with their big 3 (plus Rivers). McNabb, Eli, Rodgers, Wilson, Warner, Brees, Farve, Newton, and Ryan are all good to great QB's who have had their day in the sun and some still have more days. The AFC by comparison besides being dominated by those 4 just never had the talent at QB to even put up a decent fight for the majority of this time which is why it feels like a really exciting time if your fans of any of the other 14 AFC teams.

The AFC looks to have a massive crop of young QB talent led by Mahomes, Luck, & Watson that hopefully are joined by the likes of Baker, Allen, Darnold, & Jackson which should hopefully bring some exciting fresh new blood and storylines finally to the table. I hope 15-16 years from now we can look back and see the AFC have 10-12 teams that got their chance in the Super Bowl and that Buffalo is one of those in the group.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i thought the Pats and Steelers played a game at a level way above what the Bills had just finished

many levels, actually

Both teams are aging with rosters near the end outside of AB & JuJu. Steelers are lucky Mayfield didn't play week 1 otherwise they'd be chasing Cleveland. NE I never bet against but Brady has went from god to really good mortal QB his end is near.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Watching the Patriots/Steelers game it had the feel of two prizefighters who are on their last legs (finally). Don't get me wrong if I had the pick of the Patriots/Steelers or the rest of the AFC I may take those two, but overall it seems that the shroud of darkness from those two is at last nearing its end which is exciting.

Consider this: Since 2001 12 of the 16 NFC teams have appeared in at least one Super Bowl with only the Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, & Redskins not making an appearance. By comparison their AFC brethren have seen just 5 of their 16 teams appear in the Super Bowl. The common theme obviously is Brady, Manning, & Big Ben and their dominance eliminated the field with ease. By the same token the NFC did have some great teams but it saw a greater spread of talent compared to what the AFC had with their big 3 (plus Rivers). McNabb, Eli, Rodgers, Wilson, Warner, Brees, Farve, Newton, and Ryan are all good to great QB's who have had their day in the sun and some still have more days. The AFC by comparison besides being dominated by those 4 just never had the talent at QB to even put up a decent fight for the majority of this time which is why it feels like a really exciting time if your fans of any of the other 14 AFC teams.

The AFC looks to have a massive crop of young QB talent led by Mahomes, Luck, & Watson that hopefully are joined by the likes of Baker, Allen, Darnold, & Jackson which should hopefully bring some exciting fresh new blood and storylines finally to the table. I hope 15-16 years from now we can look back and see the AFC have 10-12 teams that got their chance in the Super Bowl and that Buffalo is one of those in the group.

I hope that in the next 15-16 years, we only see one team from the AFC make the super bowl.  F all the other teams.  #GOBILLS!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I don’t thik that AFC SB stat is right.

Off the top of my head:

Patriots

Raiders

Ravens

Colts

Broncos

Steelers

Youre correct. 6 teams have gone since 2001, but only 5 quarterbacks have gone because of Peyton Manning moving from the Colts to the Broncos. 

So since 2001, the only AFC starting quarterbacks to play in the Super Bowl are Brady, Gannon, Flacco, Manning, and Ben. 

3 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Youre correct. 6 teams have gone since 2001, but only 5 quarterbacks have gone because of Peyton Manning moving from the Colts to the Broncos. 

So since 2001, the only AFC starting quarterbacks to play in the Super Bowl are Brady, Gannon, Flacco, Manning, and Ben. 

And in that Gannon and Flacco went to the dance just once.  Brady (8), Ben (3), Manning(3)  have represent the rest of the years...Astounding !!!!

13 hours ago, corta765 said:

Both teams are aging with rosters near the end outside of AB & JuJu. Steelers are lucky Mayfield didn't play week 1 otherwise they'd be chasing Cleveland. NE I never bet against but Brady has went from god to really good mortal QB his end is near.

Again the Steelers and Patsnplayed many levels above the Bills and Lions.

all we have is the game played out in reality, hopes and wishes and deeming luck have nothing to do with reality

36 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

While I agree the decline of Brady and New England is coming i’ll Believe it when I see them lose in one of the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. 

i'm predicting that even after big ben , the steelers will carry on a winning tradition with mason rudolph(6'5" 240). looks to me like a rogers behind favre situation.

That AFC quarterback stat is because of Brady and Belichick.  Great quarterbacks and competent head coaches usually go to at least three. Roethlisberger, P. Manning, Bradshaw, Montana, Kelly, Aikman, Staubach, Elway, Griese, Warner, Tarkenton all went to at least three.  Pry forgot a few, but eight is unreal.  We'll never see this again (especially in a hard salary cap era).  Can't wait until Brady is gone.

Perfect time to build up the trenches in Buffalo - build from the inside out, get a center and another good guard to pair with Teller, upgrade at RT, bring in some talent at TE, construct a spearhead to put in front of Allen.  Best way to level the playing field on offense is to fortify the line, increases your margin for error in any given game.  And on D, need some interior pass rushing talent, make Brady have to move off his spot on his taped-together knee... I want powerhouse trenches football in Buffalo in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I don't begrudge the Pats some of their success, Great QB and coach deserve success. However its the longevity that pisses me off. 17 seasons of success?!! No other team in any sport have had that kind of domination for that long!

Montreal Canadiens enjoyed that level of success just saying.  Although of course by contrast New England helped itself along with spy-gate, deflate gate, and so many other officials help that “Whitey” Bulger must have sent Farrelly a Christmas card and told him to keep up the good work for what he had done for him.  

14 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I don’t thik that AFC SB stat is right.

Off the top of my head:

Patriots

Raiders

Ravens

Colts

Broncos

Steelers

01 Pats

02 Raiders

03 Pats

04 Pats

05 Steelers

06 Colts

07 Pats

08 Steelers

09 Colts

10 Steelers

11 Pats

12 Ravens

13 Broncos

14 Pats

15 Broncos

16 Pats 

17 Pats

You named all of them their is no one else

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Again the Steelers and Patsnplayed many levels above the Bills and Lions.

all we have is the game played out in reality, hopes and wishes and deeming luck have nothing to do with reality

That's your opinion and currently the Steelers and Pats are below the Chiefs, Chargers, & Texans in W/L.

50 minutes ago, corta765 said:

01 Pats

02 Raiders

03 Pats

04 Pats

05 Steelers

06 Colts

07 Pats

08 Steelers

09 Colts

10 Steelers

11 Pats

12 Ravens

13 Broncos

14 Pats

15 Broncos

16 Pats 

17 Pats

You named all of them their is no one else

yeah I thought for sure I was missing at least one team, I guess not!!!

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Montreal Canadiens enjoyed that level of success just saying.  Although of course by contrast New England helped itself along with spy-gate, deflate gate, and so many other officials help that “Whitey” Bulger must have sent Farrelly a Christmas card and told him to keep up the good work for what he had done for him.  

That's true but a lot of the Canadiens success came when the NHL was a smaller league. After expansion and esp after the WHA teams joined in 1979, the Canadiens have only won 2 Stanley cups in 40 years. Hell the Canadiens used to enjoy the first dibs exclusive rights to French Canadian players before the other teams in the league had a shot.  There really is no other team in any sport that has had the sustained success of the Pats. Its crazy!!

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

That's true but a lot of the Canadiens success came when the NHL was a smaller league. After expansion and esp after the WHA teams joined in 1979, the Canadiens have only won 2 Stanley cups in 40 years. Hell the Canadiens used to enjoy the first dibs exclusive rights to French Canadian players before the other teams in the league had a shot.  There really is no other team in any sport that has had the sustained success of the Pats. Its crazy!!

You might say they were cheating and Cheatriots do that.  We cannot say they did not benefit from any connections Farrelly helped to facilitate from his former FBI career.  Having a guy off to the side who helps in misinformation on how every team cheats.  I’ll admit it Montreal had the cream of the crop choice and it was cheating; proud of the Roy and Dryden eras.  When parity was being reached as you had said.  For New England there is no question gambling books, faux-Patriotism, and the political climate helped them to insinuate themselves into the fabric of elite teams.  Along with helping to insulate themselves from criticisms.  

5 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm predicting that even after big ben , the steelers will carry on a winning tradition with mason rudolph(6'5" 240). looks to me like a rogers behind favre situation.

Where in the world do you come up with comparing Mason Rudolph to Aaron Rogers?  Dude has never even played a snap yet and he was a 3rd round pick for a reason.  This is just crazy talk.