Ted Washington not impressed with Bills DL

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Right, but I think he cornered Paul Peck from channel 4 in the locker room one time and said he had a small penis, or something derogatory to that effect.  I know he and Pat Williams were great players, but from memory, Ted Washington was described as a real jerk.

D-line ain't for choirboys. A lot of those guys are nuts. He was a helluva player. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

D-line ain't for choirboys. A lot of those guys are nuts. He was a helluva player. 

Yes he was....Ted Washington was one of my favorite players.....a enormous person who also got after the QB

but

There ARE some good players on this DL....one of them is close to retirement....the others are solid but not special

56 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Not sure how much that means from a 1 tech who pretty much just ate space in the old NFL.

Remember when they trained him, it went something like this:  OK Teddy here's your technique:  Try to keep them from grabbing you.  Keep eating a lot so you stay at 355.   Pretend if they push you out of the middle you don't get to eat for a week.  Repeat.

From his wikipedia page:

"At Tampa Bay Technical High School in Tampa, Washington was a four-sport standout in football, track, baseball, and wrestling. As a senior, he was the Florida State Wrestling champion in the unlimited weight class."

"The unlimited weight class" -- I love it! I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wrestle that guy.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

From his wikipedia page:

"At Tampa Bay Technical High School in Tampa, Washington was a four-sport standout in football, track, baseball, and wrestling. As a senior, he was the Florida State Wrestling champion in the unlimited weight class."

"The unlimited weight class" -- I love it! I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wrestle that guy.

You know McD would have loved him

Anyone who had the opportunity to watch Ted and Pat shut down the run "The Package" should not just dismiss his assessment out of hand. They simply planted any running back that tried the middle and forced every run to the outside for our backers to clean up.

At one point when the Bills were playing a Favre-led GB team, Favre said in a half-time interview that anyone thinking they can run against these guys are fooling themselves... that was after the Bills had GB backed up in their own end zone and they elected to try a safe running play to get some room and their running back was thumped 3 yards deep into the end zone turf (I think by Pat Williams) - it was literally like "nail meet hammer", I was worried the kid was broken in several places along his body.

Sure the Bills have picked up some guys that can swim and penetrate on passing plays and that is good, but they went out and picked up Star for one reason, so he could occupy 2 gaps and an extra linemen to "free up" the others on the d-line to make the stop. Anyone watching the Bills this season in the red zone know that more often than not, when teams want those last few yards to score, they simply run it down our throats and get those yards. The stops have been rare.

There have been flashes of this team stopping the run, and some of it is a leaning curve for our linebackers (I love the way Milano plays, but Lorax gets it done when it comes to filling a hole and stopping the run - that is just his years on earth and a bit of a bigger frame), Milano is ahead of Edmunds as it goes to finding the right gap to fill, but can get blown up if any blockers get to his level and gets a hand on him. If they miss, the kid is usually "money" bringing someone down.

Some I think is just a lack of push by Star, but I have seen flashes from Jordan Phillips... he reminds me a bit of Pat Williams in his build and Jerry Hughes in his attitude.  He plays with a lot of passion and the coaches just have to figure out how to reign in the "stup" and keep the rest. With all the shuffling of parts along the d-line (up and down from the practice squad this year if you look through transactions)  I feel like the coaches know they are not there, but Phillips could play a role.

Ol' Ted knows a thing or two about leverage and stopping the run, sure some of it could be "back in my day....", but we all know and so do the Bills coaching staff that there needs to be some improvements. Ted does not have to be worried that they are "satisfied" with what they have as it has been clear with the Star signing and grabbing Phillips that they are not.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Harsh. But if anybody could say it it's Ted Washington. And he's not wrong about the DL. I'd have to assume he's talking about Meatball in the context of this season and not dismissing his whole body of work.

No, Kyle has always been solid. What the heck is wrong with "solid?" That is a compliment where I come from... 

giphy.webpSOLID

Edited by Paulus

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

No, Kyle has always been solid. What the heck is wrong with "solid?" That is a compliment where I come from... 

giphy.webpSOLID

"Solid" has gotten Kyle into the Pro Bowl a few times, so I guess it's not too bad.

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

One stud would turn those "good" players into "great" players, in my opinion.  Do you think they need an elite DE or DT to improve the most?  Where would Josh Allen - KY LB (14 sacks) play on this defense?

Josh Allen is EXACTLY what the defense is missing. Not sure he's gonna be available now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jabu said:

"Solid" has gotten Kyle into the Pro Bowl a few times, so I guess it's not too bad.

For those looking to make any critique a Kyle dig, it is simply apples to oranges. Kyle, from the day he was drafted, was the high-motor penetrating linemen you need to rush the passer. He is not, nor has he ever been considered your prototype "run stopper". Kyle's techniques are to shed blockers and get up field, it is those and his tenacity to never give up on those plays that have led him to well-deserved pro-bowls. 

That being said Kyle style of play was never intended to occupy two gaps, maintain leverage and push, to stop the run. Not saying he sucked at it, just that it is not how to best use what he brings to the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Josh Allen is EXACTLY what the defense is missing. Not sure he's gonna be available now. 

Right on. Once you get your QB, IMO the next most important thing is QB killer. Now if we combine free agency and the draft to build the line and add a couple weapons at the expense of missing out on that guy for a year, I can wait til 2020 then we could maybe trade up for that true difference maker. 

• Like (+1) 1

So far the Bills got the following signed for next year:

1.  DE - Hughes - Last year of his contract

2.  DE - Lawson - Last year of contract (has a 5th year option for 10 million which won't happen)

3.  DT - Star - His snap count if not huge.  1st and 2nd downer

4.  DE - Murphy - A big yellow light on his future/availability

5.  DT -  H Phillips - Got to question whether he is a primary starter next year

FAs

DTs - Kyle and J Phillips

DEs - Yarbrough and Love

It seems to me that a good amount of attention needs to be give the DL.

Ted Washington was a beast!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Ted Washington is one of the most dominant defensive players the Bills have ever had. 

His 1997 season he was arguably the best defender in the NFL.

Once he got paid he just reverted to being the best NT in the NFL for the next 5-6 years.

• Like (+1) 3