Ted Washington not impressed with Bills DL

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills need to invest in a high end pass rusher at the top of the draft or in FA - they lack elite-ness on that line . They have a bunch of “good” players but no real difference maker 

this is an argument in more than one thread.  if an elite edge is there in rd. one, ya gotta take him.  (josh allen being the most likely).  if you get a guy that can give you a couple drive ending sacks a game, it's every bit as good as a deep pass.  btw, every team with a rookie qb...and then some, are looking for offensive talent this year.

wrs are going to get overdrafted this year. people forget the amount of competition there will be for those guys.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

what's atrocious is rushing 4 on 3rd down in the red zone....it's maddening.

Sometimes it is hard to help - many teams run an empty set, or just one back to force teams to go man and some zone.

Detroit flat-out lined up in Jumbo and used an o-lineman as a blocking fullback and spanked us like naughty kids whenever they were in short yardage. The Bills really did not have an answer to that set, where you really cannot do anything unless someone penetrates enough to trip up and take out that lead blocker - then the whole play is disrupted. Hopefully your defenders can still seal the edges because many times that is when the running back bounces it outside and walks into the end zone.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just heard him interviewed on WGR. He’s a HS DL coach and was talking about how important it is  for linemen to have proper technique, hand usage, etc. Ted was at the game on Sunday and John Murphy asked him what he thought of the Bills DL ...he said nothing against the players or coaches but he didn’t think they used good technique. He sounded very unimpressed but said something along the lines of  “as long as the coaches think that’s acceptable I guess that’s what passes.”  Murphy told him Kyle Williams had played there many years and he said he never really met him, maybe once. Murphy asked him what he thought of Kyle and he said something like meh he’s “solid.” Sheesh ... bill teerlink feels great right now. 

Edit: added link to the interview https://app.radio.com/4DvcBgSUKS

I think he’s talking about their lackluster effort in the buffet line. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Sometimes it is hard to help - many teams run an empty set, or just one back to force teams to go man and some zone.

Detroit flat-out lined up in Jumbo and used an o-lineman as a blocking fullback and spanked us like naughty kids whenever they were in short yardage. The Bills really did not have an answer to that set, where you really cannot do anything unless someone penetrates enough to trip up and take out that lead blocker - then the whole play is disrupted. Hopefully your defenders can still seal the edges because many times that is when the running back bounces it outside and walks into the end zone.

there was a point i believe late in the game where the defense go two big stops and then on 3rd down there was a sparse line. i think detroit threw for a td there.

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t catch which HS he is at, but i tuned in mid-interview. If anyone knows I will look and see if there are any big recruits 

Indian Land High School in South Carolina. They went 6-8 giving up an average of 27 a game. Not sure how much of that is on Mt. Washington.

Not seeing any top recruits on 24/7.

Edited by BillsSB2020
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's not wrong.  The Bills D-Line is full of good/solid players, but nobody I would consider overly impressive.

Especially with Kyle Williams well past his prime.

That doesn't mean the Bills have a bad D-Line, or that it's a problem area.

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

there was a point i believe late in the game where the defense go two big stops and then on 3rd down there was a sparse line. i think detroit threw for a td there.

I remember that toss, looked like the Bills were in some kind of zone deep in the end zone a the receiver was being passed from gap to gap. Not a fan if that was the case. Will have to watch that play again to be sure.

It could be that Wallace was on him and just lost a step - teams also like to cross up receivers to do a "rub" or "pick" to free up a receiver - the Patriots excel at that.

I can see dropping guys into shallow zones that are as deep as the goal line and get in the way of passing lanes and work to prevent dump off, scrambles, and outlet passes from getting anywhere, but any deeper you need to have man coverage with maybe a safety or two playing center field watching the QBs eyes. I felt like Detroit's receiver had far to much room to find soft spots that Stafford could easily hit.

And yeah, Stafford had too much time too, but he is a good QB when given some time and not playing beat up.

• Like (+1) 1