The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Tiberius said:

I do care that thousands are not dying at the hands of illegals. You f uk face 

Lie lie lie.......that's all you do. You care about them until the "crisis" comes along, then you drop them as soon as they've outlived their usefulness. You're a scumbag of the lowest order.

Stick to the coal mines. That's all you're good for.

1 minute ago, westside said:

Lie lie lie.......that's all you do. You care about them until the "crisis" comes along, then you drop them as soon as they've outlived their usefulness. You're a scumbag of the lowest order.

Stick to the coal mines. That's all you're good for.

Ya, I really have no idea what you are talking about. 

Just now, Foxx said:

the article talks about the lowest birthrate since.....

Oh!! No, I think children are just more of a hassle than many people want to deal with, so they are not having them. 

Go Leader Pelosi! Show him whose country this is! 

Pelosi responded to Trump’s “let’s make a deal” invitation by tweeting that the president had “given Democrats a great opportunity to show how we will govern responsibly & quickly pass our plan to end the irresponsible #TrumpShutdown – just the first sign of things to come in our new Democratic Majority committed to working #ForThePeople.”

And as a bonus, Trump gave you guys the green light to go after another respected general! 

“General” McChrystal got fired like a dog by Obama. Last assignment a total bust. Known for big, dumb mouth. Hillary lover!” Trump opined.

IN THE name of securing the border and keeping out illegal immigrants, President Trump has opted for a partial government shutdown. Irony of ironies, that shutdown has paralyzed the nation’s immigration courts, shuttering many of them and allowing several hundred undocumented immigrants to dodge deportation orders each day the shutdown continues. They are among many hundreds of others whose cases will be postponed for years — or, in effect, indefinitely — for every day the closure lasts.

:lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-shutdown-has-paralyzed-immigration-courts-oh-the-irony/2019/01/01/4e9c8682-0d46-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.c5cba71dba81

?

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

so Trump has caused the immigrant courts to remain shut because he hasn't had anything on his desk to sign by the folks who need to do their ***** job.

And the Democrats are complaining that immigration law isn't being enforced as a result.  :wacko:

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Illegals get a free pass! Ha ha ha, thousands will be killed by them! All Trump's fault, ha ha ha!! 

More laughing at deaths........................there is some sort of "tell" there.

Meanwhile, back at the thread....................

“SHUTDOWN” POLITICS

“House to test Trump on wall.” So reads the headline (paper edition) of the lead story in today’s Washington Post.

The statement is true. However, it’s also true that Trump will test the new House. I think the test he poses might be the stiffer one.

The Democrats have a constituency — government workers — that will clamor for an end to the shutdown. Trump has no such constituency. Not as long as the partial shutdown is managed well enough to prevent ordinary folks from experiencing pain or significant inconvenience.

But the more salient point is that Trump probably has more flexibility than Nancy Pelosi.

The president can compromise somewhat on the wall — e.g, on the amount of money allocated for it and, relatedly, the form of the structure itself. His base isn’t likely to quibble over the exact amount of funding or how much of the wall is built with concrete.

Pelosi may be more constrained by the raucous members of her caucus. They may demand that she hold firm to her “hell no” position (no new funding) on the wall. Pelosi herself has called the wall “immoral.” Leftist Dems aren’t likely to let her forget this ridiculous assertion.

If she had to, Pelosi could obtain enough Democratic support to get a compromise package through the House with GOP support. But after surviving (presumably) the left’s challenge to her role as leader, she won’t be in a good position to let Trump off the hook (as the left would view a compromise) in the first battle of her Speakership.

If I am right about Trump having more flexibility than Pelosi, this should provide him with an important advantage in the upcoming public relations battle over the partial shutdown. He can present himself as the one who is more serious about reaching a deal.

As always, the Dems also have an advantage — the mainstream media’s willingness, indeed eagerness, to shill for them. But unlike the mainstream media, the public views illegal entry into the U.S. as a serious problem. And it certainly perceives no moral imperative to abstain from walling illegal immigrants out.

An extended shutdown over funding a wall would present some political peril for both sides. However, Trump’s position is at least as strong as Pelosi’s, and I believe he’ll test the House at least as much as the House will test him. Probably more.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/01/shutdown-politics-2.php

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

As long as Trump is not perceived as caving on this issue he'll be ok.

Current House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) joked to USA Today about how President Donald Trump’s border has gone from a massive concrete structure to nothing more than a “beaded curtain” and blasted his rhetoric about immigrants.

“First of all, the fact … that he says, ‘We’re going to build a wall with cement, and Mexico’s going to pay for it’ while he’s already backed off of the cement – now he’s down to, I think, a beaded curtain or something, I’m not sure where he is,” Pelosi said.

Too late!! 

:lol:

?

33 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

As long as Trump is not perceived as caving on this issue he'll be ok.

On illegal immigration we're likely to get nothing more than another partial and crappy government solution to a serious problem.  Until this is addressed in totality (Visa monitoring, change catch and release/asylum laws, physical border security and relationships with Mexico and others) the problem endures.  Trump speaks to the problem but hasn't laid out the total solution which is disappointing so far.

Edited by keepthefaith

4 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I doubt it.  The toll of the left and leftist media to orchestrate the destruction of his presidency will be too much for him to overcome IMO. 

On illegal immigration we're likely to get nothing more than another partial and crappy government solution to a serious problem.  Until this is addressed in totality (Visa monitoring, change catch and release/asylum laws, physical border security and relationships with Mexico and others) the problem endures.  Trump speaks to the problem but hasn't laid out the total solution which is disappointing so far.

To be fair, Trumps has done more than enough on his own to destroy his presidency. The sum total of scandals and corruption just so far should have been the death knell for anyone else.

Here's the thing though. Though we might disagree on how to proceed, I don't think that anybody believes that there aren't necessary changes to the immigration system. Hell, even I, dubbed "NPC" by certain dubious minds, acknowledge that there has to be updates and changes to our border security. We need changes, and if we need to take some ideas from both sides of the aisle to get it done, I am ok with that.

The problem is that the sticking point is on something that solves none of these problems. The Wall is a stupid, costly object that doesn't solve the problem it's supposed to solve. If you wanted to say, invest $ 5 billion into increased funding for intelligence services, homeland security, DEA and port authority, I would rubber stamp that. But it doesn't solve the problems that are already woven into our economy and communities. And sadly, Trump already walked away from a deal for FULL wall funding that also fixed the latter.

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

To be fair, Trumps has done more than enough on his own to destroy his presidency. The sum total of scandals and corruption just so far should have been the death knell for anyone else.

Here's the thing though. Though we might disagree on how to proceed, I don't think that anybody believes that there aren't necessary changes to the immigration system. Hell, even I, dubbed "NPC" by certain dubious minds, acknowledge that there has to be updates and changes to our border security. We need changes, and if we need to take some ideas from both sides of the aisle to get it done, I am ok with that.

The problem is that the sticking point is on something that solves none of these problems. The Wall is a stupid, costly object that doesn't solve the problem it's supposed to solve. If you wanted to say, invest $ 5 billion into increased funding for intelligence services, homeland security, DEA and port authority, I would rubber stamp that. But it doesn't solve the problems that are already woven into our economy and communities. And sadly, Trump already walked away from a deal for FULL wall funding that also fixed the latter.

What scandals, clownboy?

The sticking point that needs to be realized is that Trump should not be changing a me damned thing. It should be Congress passing laws to fix these issues. Don't you prefer a republic run and represented by the people able to rule the government vs a single oligarchic figurehead of political ideology?  

My guess is right now you do prefer that but 5 years ago you didn't. 5 years ago you were alright with a pen and a phone. And 16 years ago you were fine with executive decisions restricting the freedom of America because of terror.  My guess was 25 years ago you were giddy as a school girl when the markets were cracked wide open, legislation approved to blow out inflationary increases as everyone was happy!  Amiright?

29 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yes, the wall is stupid and a distraction. Trump just wants it as a monument to his failed presidency. Why can't these idiots see that?