The Trump Shutdown

18 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

From where though?  Media will continue to blame Trump and will run stories of poor federal workers not getting paychecks because of this evil selfish man.  They'll have other stories of how dormant government services are hurting people.  Dem pols will be on nearly every network every day saying how they want "common sense immigration reform" and that walls are stupid.  They'll comment and report that Trump is holding up the entire government for his lousy wall.  Dem base will be fired up from that alone.  The hearings and investigations can easily start a month or two or three from now.  They'll still be riding Mueller and SDNY for a while.

Trump doesn't have enough support on this to cause pressure to his opposition in my view.  Twitter only goes so far.  He hasn't sowed the seeds of support enough along the way IMO.  I see Dem pols holding out and winning unless they get some other funding in their wheelhouse added. 

It is funny, my husband said to me just the other day that he thinks Trump needs to start doing his own version of fireside chats to get past the MSM's wall of false reporting, lies, and innuendos.  The MSM could not ignore it (when the President speaks, people listen), and he could take so many issues directly to the American people.  Twitter helps, but not everyone is on Twitter. To be fair, not everyone watches TV either... maybe a combo of a Facebook live/Live Stream/TV appearance, etc that is 15 minutes long, no questions, once a month? (Hey, if I had the answers I'd be a manager.)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is funny, my husband said to me just the other day that he thinks Trump needs to start doing his own version of fireside chats to get past the MSM's wall of false reporting, lies, and innuendos.  The MSM could not ignore it (when the President speaks, people listen), and he could take so many issues directly to the American people.  Twitter helps, but not everyone is on Twitter. To be fair, not everyone watches TV either... maybe a combo of a Facebook live/Live Stream/TV appearance, etc that is 15 minutes long, no questions, once a month? (Hey, if I had the answers I'd be a manager.)

This exactly. If he periodically and thoroughly explained what he was trying to do via the bully pulpit I think he could not only somewhat change his image but gain support for his policies. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

“Only” 5 weeks.  ?

Probably includes all the federal holidays in that number. There’s about 10. Hrs one of the people who might have to work on some of those days so they get comp time. He’s been there for 69 years, so he’s getting 3 weeks vacation. 

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Your husband is spot on. Trump can go on TV  and now streamed platforms often if he chooses and will get a big audience which would include a lot of people that don't follow him on twitter.  For a business guy and one who loves the camera, Trump is missing a big opportunity to communicate with voters.

Edited by keepthefaith

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

“Only” 5 weeks.  ?

27 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Probably includes all the federal holidays in that number. There’s about 10. Hrs one of the people who might have to work on some of those days so they get comp time. He’s been there for 69 years, so he’s getting 3 weeks vacation. 

Federal workers with less than 3 years service accrue 4 hours of personal leave per 2 week pay period (104 hours)

At 5 years Federal workers accrue 6 hours per pay period (156 hours)

At 15 years they accrue 8 hours per pay period (208 hours)

Plus they accrue an additional 4 hours per pay period of sick time.  

That's 312 hours, or 39 days off, every year

And another 10 Federal holidays. 

2018 had 12 Federal holidays.  The regularly scheduled 10 plus Christmas Eve and a day of mourning for George HW Bush

So 51 days off this year for the Asian Carp Crusader

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I thought that about the Bush administration.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

(Cough) Q (cough). 

• Haha (+1) 1

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

We will be forced to close the Southern Border entirely if the Obstructionist Democrats do not give us the money to finish the Wall & also change the ridiculous immigration laws that our Country is saddled with. Hard to believe there was a Congress & President who would approve!

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

....The United States looses soooo much money on Trade with Mexico under NAFTA, over 75 Billion Dollars a year (not including Drug Money which would be many times that amount), that I would consider closing the Southern Border a “profit making operation.” We build a Wall or.....

7 hours ago

.....close the Southern Border. Bring our car industry back into the United States where it belongs. Go back to pre-NAFTA, before so many of our companies and jobs were so foolishly sent to Mexico. Either we build (finish) the Wall or we close the Border......

15,603 replies 15,859 retweets 64,826 likes

Do it! He's a good rabble-rouser, but nothing more.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The problem is that every online service, from Facebook to YouTube would magically find some way to deny access (while still pretending to be neutral, thus preserving their legal protections).

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, yall cry much? 

As the old timers here know, when I first started posting down here I used to laugh at the notion of a biased media. And though I would argue what's happening today is different (because it's not a liberal media as much as it as an establishment media), having worked in entertainment and media for a good while now, it's real. 

Often its organic, meaning the left leaning people flock to journalism/entertainment/media as career paths tend to all come from the same backgrounds (liberal cities/colleges/universities) and live and work in largely liberal cities such as NYC/DC/LA. That tends to produce a natural inclination to write and cover stories a certain way. That happens, I've seen it first hand. It's not necessarily a problem by itself (and I don't know how to begin to change that if it were), but today we are seeing both right wing and left wing media outlets converge to cover this administration the same way. 

There's no counter balance but for independent media (which comes with its own warts) because it's not a republican or democrat in office. He's neither. He's a threat. Thus, he does not deserve (in the minds of the industry) the same "equal" treatment they would otherwise strive for. 

Jmo

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, yall cry much? 

So the social media company that fired someone for being a political conservative is just going to allow Trump to use their platform?

I know you're a bit smarter than than, despite the nonsense you're posting tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So the social media company that fired someone for being a political conservative is just going to allow Trump to use their platform?

I know you're a bit smarter than than, despite the nonsense you're posting tonight.

all i am saying is you all cry to the heavens every day the media , the media, the media. You call the other side "snowflakes" cause they, in your words, constantly whine. As you do on the media

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

all i am saying is you all cry to the heavens every day the media , the media, the media. You call the other side "snowflakes" cause they, in your words, constantly whine. As you do on the media

Both sides whine when it comes to partisans. That's indisputable. Most of the people complaining about the media over the last two years (here) are not partisans. 

Its assumed im a partisan because I speak up about it when I'm the furthest thing from a partisan (as an example). Just daring to think and speak for yourself in today's climate gets you thrown in a box ... By the media and social media mobs. 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Please provide quotes to back this up.