The Trump Shutdown

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I don't agree here Doc..I don't think Trump really cares whether he gets any funding for the wall or not..that was, to me, obvious when he first said he would agree to the original funding that did not include funding then abruptly changed course when his base and biggest supporters went bat chit crazy on him as haven given in to the Dems.

Why can he not have the military fund/build the wall as he claimed earlier in the week? If he really believed the wall was critical to the safety of the nation, would he not be pursuing all avenues?  Would he not be looking to fund the whole stinking thing? He is not cause he just wants to recharge his base and claim victory...

Again, its the same for the Dems. Not about whether a wall is a good option or not, it is just about denying Trump said victory.

Having the DOD fund the wall would be tricky as there are limits to what they can do at the border and such a move would likely face legal challenges.  The easiest way to fund the wall is through a spending bill.  If it wasn't for partisanship bickering, they could come up with a bipartisan bill that would allocate money to enhance border security (some type of wall) in high traffic areas.  It doesn't matter how sincere Trump is as border security has been neglected for too long.

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Deranged Rhino ^^^^^,I am not believing spin anywhere. We noted right here in this space in Tuesday Sanders confirming Trump was going to sign funding extension..then the onslaught by his most zealot supporters in the media, the far right in Congress going crazy..and voila" he switched position. I hope you all can give people credit and not think every thought that is anti Trump is driven by brainwashing by the media. One can connect dots, and not have to be a genius or else I would be in trouble!

I am more than okay with a wall, actually, think it a great idea, always have. Wish Trump would make a stand and build the fugger.completely.but its not about that for him. Its about getting a win too. Mulvaney said yesterday they have a proposal on table somewhere between the $1.3B and $5B..so you telling me $3B is gonna make a dent in building a wall????

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Having the DOD fund the wall would be tricky as there are limits to what they can do at the border and such a move would likely face legal challenges.  The easiest way to fund the wall is through a spending bill.  If it wasn't for partisanship bickering, they could come up with a bipartisan bill that would allocate money to enhance border security (some type of wall) in high traffic areas.  It doesn't matter how sincere Trump is as border security has been neglected for too long.

agree 100% on this..but that is not what this particular fight is about for either party

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Deranged Rhino ^^^^^,I am not believing spin anywhere. We noted right here in this space in Tuesday Sanders confirming Trump was going to sign funding extension..then the onslaught by his most zealot supporters in the media, the far right in Congress going crazy..and voila" he switched position. I hope you all can give people credit and not think every thought that is anti Trump is driven by brainwashing by the media. One can connect dots, and not have to be a genius or else I would be in trouble!

I am more than okay with a wall, actually, think it a great idea, always have. Wish Trump would make a stand and build the fugger.completely.but its not about that for him. Its about getting a win too. Mulvaney said yesterday they have a proposal on table somewhere between the $1.3B and $5B..so you telling me $3B is gonna make a dent in building a wall????

When they add it to the defense spending portion for the wall, it likely will. The wall is only needed in certain spots - and is not the only needed upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trump sets completion date for border wall

President Donald Trump says he wants the border wall between Mexico and the United States finished by election day 2020.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/12/25/trump-border-wall-completion-date-sot-nr-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

Wish in one hand ?in the other and see which fills up first

58 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trump sets completion date for border wall

President Donald Trump says he wants the border wall between Mexico and the United States finished by election day 2020.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/12/25/trump-border-wall-completion-date-sot-nr-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:  He'll be lucky if the preliminary design review done by 2020.  

Presuming this somehow gets fully funded with $5B, let me tell you what happens: they have the design review, and a slew of lawsuits come out of it.  DOI sues to divert the wall around national parks, individuals sue to block eminent domain, the EPA sues to block it on ecological grounds, multiple petitions to block construction under the Endangered Species Act, every state gets involved - either denying permits, or seeing lawsuits to have them denied under state environmental laws.   $10B later, the lawsuits still aren't resolved, the wall isn't built, and everyone complains "Trump lied!" because his $5B wall has already cost twice that and still isn't built.

It's how they block nuclear plants.  It's how they'll block this.  We're in for a long, retarded, expensive fight over something that's a ridiculous idea to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:  He'll be lucky if the preliminary design review done by 2020.  

Presuming this somehow gets fully funded with $5B, let me tell you what happens: they have the design review, and a slew of lawsuits come out of it.  DOI sues to divert the wall around national parks, individuals sue to block eminent domain, the EPA sues to block it on ecological grounds, multiple petitions to block construction under the Endangered Species Act, every state gets involved - either denying permits, or seeing lawsuits to have them denied under state environmental laws.   $10B later, the lawsuits still aren't resolved, the wall isn't built, and everyone complains "Trump lied!" because his $5B wall has already cost twice that and still isn't built.

It's how they block nuclear plants.  It's how they'll block this.  We're in for a long, retarded, expensive fight over something that's a ridiculous idea to begin with.

How many lawsuits would it be if we just set up machine gun nests?

Edit: 100% Serious. That legal battle would be epic

Edited by Boyst62

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

How many lawsuits would it be if we just set up machine gun nests?

Edit: 100% Serious. That legal battle would be epic

Actually, there'd probably be fewer.  No EPA or FWS concerns, and the property rights and states' rights issues are simpler.

Now, if they were used, that'd be a circus.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Actually, there'd probably be fewer.  No EPA or FWS concerns, and the property rights and states' rights issues are simpler.

This is a public plea and cry for help: ?

Hey Buddy... I just put in an application to join your "DC Tom Club." If you let those other guys ( @The Real Buffalo Joe Pffft, but @Nervous Guy is no slouch, he's a baller) in... You have to grant my Christmas wish and accept me!

I will agree to a probationary period.  

?

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The lead in the bullets ??‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Filed under "too good to fact check" 

I'm surprised this hasn't gained any attention. It's why Trump has no need to sign anything

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Filed under "too good to fact check" 

Is that all Trump's got, a "Hail Mary."  If I were the Dems (well guess I am)... Wait it out.  Plenty of time.  Slow down Grasshoppers.

Like a parent teaching a two-year old.  No way do you give in to the "Terrible Twos."

Sometimes the parents (Dems) have to suffer to teach the child (Trump) that temper tantrums, living on emotion is not acceptable.

Get Mexico to pay for it.  That's what he promised.  Don't fall for the bait and switch.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is a public plea and cry for help: ?

Hey Buddy... I just put in an application to join your "DC Tom Club." If you let those other guys ( @The Real Buffalo Joe Pffft, but @Nervous Guy is no slouch, he's a baller) in... You have to grant my Christmas wish and accept me!

I will agree to a probationary period.  

?

Even if you qualified for membership before this post, you just disqualified yourself.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

The lead in the bullets ??‍♂️

I'm surprised this hasn't gained any attention. It's why Trump has no need to sign anything

I had two two year olds.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Just now, DC Tom said:

Even if you qualified for membership before this post, you just disqualified yourself.

You're a mean one Mr. Tom!

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Nope. He’ll build it 100 yard INSIDE Mexico and then annex that 100 yards of turf. 

Viva Pancho Villa! Viva Santa Anna! 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is that all Trump's got, a "Hail Mary."  If I were the Dems (well guess I am)... Wait it out.  Plenty of time.  Slow down Grasshoppers.

Like a parent teaching a two-year old.  No way do you give in to the "Terrible Twos."

Sometimes the parents (Dems) have to suffer to teach the child (Trump) that temper tantrums, living on emotion is not acceptable.

Get Mexico to pay for it.  That's what he promised.  Don't fall for the bait and switch.

You've got it backwards. President Trump has the votes to get what he wants. It's the Dems throwing a temper tantrum & refusing to allow a vote. They're clearly not standing on any principle. This is pure politics & they're pitching a fit because they don't want the President to make good on his promise.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Swill Merchant said:

You've got it backwards. President Trump has the votes to get what he wants. It's the Dems throwing a temper tantrum & refusing to allow a vote. They're clearly not standing on any principle. This is pure politics & they're pitching a fit because they don't want the President to make good on his promise.

That Mexico will pay for it?

Actually that's what he promised. Are you a denier of that historical fact?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Swill Merchant said:

Correct. The DNC leadership is against the wall because it would be yet another Trump victory and make him even tougher to unseat in 2020. That is the bulk of their motivation to block the wall. 

... That and the fact the wall provides a permanence to the problem whereas increases in "funding for men and technology" can always be pared back at a later date or under a new administration. And many, many, many on the left don't want that because they profit directly from having a porous border in the form of kickbacks on differing levels. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
iPad added a word
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct. The DNC leadership is against the wall because it would be yet another Trump victory and make him even tougher to unseat in 2020. That is the bulk of their motivation to block the wall. 

... That and the fact the wall provides a permanence to the problem whereas increases in "funding for men and technology" can always be pared back at a later date or under a new administration. And many, many, many on the left don't want that because they profit directly from having a porous border either in the form of kickbacks on differing levels. 

The people have already spoken in November. If the Stupid Wall was something the people wanted the Dems wouldn't have picked up 40 seats in a gerrymandered House. Trump is probaly a dead duck in 2020 anyway and if Dems let him have the useless, expensive and stupid wall, there would only be one less reason to re-elect the crook. Unless he was going to demand Mexico pay us back for it or something

• Like (+1) 1