My FA targets

On 12/11/2018 at 8:19 AM, auburnbillsbacker said:

I have the horrible feeling that we will have 80 million in cap space and not have any opportunities to use it.  My other fear is that we will overpay for marginal talent after teams resign their studs.  

I don't see a lot of big names (at least with our positions of greatest need), but throwing out stupid money in the first days of Free Agency is rarely the best way to go anyway.  Even with a large amount of cap space, I still want to see our front office make smart decisions and get good value on the players they sign.

Help will be there.  Maybe we won't be adding a bunch of Pro-Bowl players.  But there will be upgrades available on the market.  It's all about identifying the guys who fit our system, approaching them quickly with a good offer, and hoping you can convince them Buffalo is where they want to be.  Teams with solid starters/depth across the board usually have more success than teams with 3-4 highly-paid superstars and holes all over the place.

By my count, the Bills have 8 glaring holes going into 2019 and about $90 million in cap space.

Wide Receiver, Running Back, both Guard spots, Center, Right Tackle, Tight End and Cornerback.

If we focus on solid starting guys in the $5-10 million range, we should be able to address the majority of those spots in Free Agency.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Obviously things can change between now and training camp but here's my list of FA's we need to sign.

Number 1, Sheldon Richardson. I doubt the Vikings will let him walk but he hasn't signed an extension yet and if it remains that way, Buffalo needs to pay up. The thought of Richardson, Phillips, and Hughes on the d-line is very intriguing. We have the cap space. Don't be cheap.

My number 2 FA target would be a guy that not many are talking about here.

Quincy Enunwa would be my number 1 FA priority at the WR position. A big body WR that can work the middle of the field and won't cost much against the cap. IMO the best bang for your buck in this sorry FA WR class.

Lastly, sign C Matt Paradis. Desperately need a quality veteran Center that can help Josh Allen on the field. Help Josh with the blocking schemes and most importantly communicate to Josh what he sees when they're lined up. Don't be cheap on a veteran Center to help Allen grow.

IMO this fills positions of need and puts us in a situation to draft BPA in the draft. Grab best available player at CB, WR, OT, RB and go from there. 

I also agree that Quincy Enunwa would be a good WR addition, along with the other suggestions of Tyrell Williams or Chris Conley. 

They could also go with a sure-handed veteran slot receiver like Randall Cobb or Cole Beasley.

None of these guys are flashy, but they would make our receiving corps better.

The same names seem to be coming up on the O-Line, and I agree that all would help. 

Matt Paradis would be fantastic.  I see a lot of people pushing for Roger Saffold and Daryl Williams (another Panthers connection).

OL is my biggest concern, since we need SO MANY bodies.

One of my top targets would be Jay Ajayi.  Coming off a knee injury, he may come at a decent price.  He's still young and few teams know what he can do more than Buffalo.

Jay Ajayi is toast, I said it before he went down again this year.

Mike Mayock “some teams took him off their boards because he is bone on bone, other teams say it’s okay they will get one contract out of him”

When asked why he was dropping down the board.

His rap name would be YungToast. 

On 12/5/2018 at 9:49 PM, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Obviously things can change between now and training camp but here's my list of FA's we need to sign.

Number 1, Sheldon Richardson. I doubt the Vikings will let him walk but he hasn't signed an extension yet and if it remains that way, Buffalo needs to pay up. The thought of Richardson, Phillips, and Hughes on the d-line is very intriguing. We have the cap space. Don't be cheap.

My number 2 FA target would be a guy that not many are talking about here.

Quincy Enunwa would be my number 1 FA priority at the WR position. A big body WR that can work the middle of the field and won't cost much against the cap. IMO the best bang for your buck in this sorry FA WR class.

Lastly, sign C Matt Paradis. Desperately need a quality veteran Center that can help Josh Allen on the field. Help Josh with the blocking schemes and most importantly communicate to Josh what he sees when they're lined up. Don't be cheap on a veteran Center to help Allen grow.

IMO this fills positions of need and puts us in a situation to draft BPA in the draft. Grab best available player at CB, WR, OT, RB and go from there. 

My only thing is I wanna go after a game changing receiver like Julio or AJ. I do think Beane makes a play for both guys. Not saying I don't like Enunwa but not as the top acquisition at the position

• Like (+1) 1

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/12/buffalo-bills-free-agency-targets-2019/

Pro Football Focus: 7 potential free agent targets for Bills

Matt Paradis C

Juwuan James RT

Maxx Williams TE

Rodger Saffold G

DeMarcus Lawrence Edge

Clay Matthews Edge

Bryce Callahan CB

Would be a wet dream to get both Paradis and Saffold ... Add a tackle in the draft and they would just about be there...

Will be lots of competition though for both..

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/12/buffalo-bills-free-agency-targets-2019/

Pro Football Focus: 7 potential free agent targets for Bills

Matt Paradis C

Juwuan James RT

Maxx Williams TE

Rodger Saffold G

DeMarcus Lawrence Edge

Clay Matthews Edge

Bryce Callahan CB

Would be a wet dream to get both Paradis and Saffold ... Add a tackle in the draft and they would just about be there...

Will be lots of competition though for both..

Give me Paradis, Saffold, Josh Gordon, and get KW and Alexander back. Plus the Draft, and we would be good next year

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

My only thing is I wanna go after a game changing receiver like Julio or AJ. I do think Beane makes a play for both guys. Not saying I don't like Enunwa but not as the top acquisition at the position

I'd love that and all. But why would these teams give these guys away for anything but a king's ransom? Only thing keeping them afloat. Maybe the Bengals, but I really can't see the Falcons letting go of half their franchise identity and tearing Julio away from Matt Ryan.. unless the tandems contracts are keeping them down. I can see the Falcons rebounding any year. They always seem to suck for a year and then blow back up to a top record the next. Especially if they just keep those 2 together while they wait out the Saints resurgence and a Breesy retirement.

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

If Tyler declares he would be your center - consensus 1st round talent if looking for a stud C.

If he doesn't declare then his line mate Michael Deiter would be a good 2nd round value, not sure he would drop into the 3rd. He's solid, comes from a Wisconsin program that has been churning out NFL-calibre o-linemen for a while now, has played LG, C, LT when needed.

I must admit I keep over looking Dieter.

Edwards & Biadasz submit paperwork.

https://badgersinsider.com/2018/12/13/biadasz-edwards-submit-paperwork-to-nfl-draft-advisory-board/

1 minute ago, Ned Kelly said:

https://badgersinsider.com/2018/12/13/biadasz-edwards-submit-paperwork-to-nfl-draft-advisory-board/

Get'er done McBeane - I usually have a rule about drafting o-linemen in the 1st, but I would wave that for Biadasz.

I would still like to see them pick up a solid veteran FA o-lineman or two to plug in somewhere along that line. I think having that experience next to your young starters speeds up the learning curve all across the line, and helps keep the "panic" out of their game.

They do that, and grab a few offensive weapons (a TE that can catch and block would not hurt) and they send Josh a clear message, "you are an investment we are willing to protect, and build around". 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'd love that and all. But why would these teams give these guys away for anything but a king's ransom? Only thing keeping them afloat. Maybe the Bengals, but I really can't see the Falcons letting go of half their franchise identity and tearing Julio away from Matt Ryan.. unless the tandems contracts are keeping them down. I can see the Falcons rebounding any year. They always seem to suck for a year and then blow back up to a top record the next. Especially if they just keep those 2 together while they wait out the Saints resurgence and a Breesy retirement.

Julio's contract situation, the fact that the Falcons have a bad defense that is gonna need fixing and they are gonna need as many picks as possible to rebuild the defense might make them give up Julio for picks. The Falcons are 4-9 with him and their cap situation is nowhere near as good ours is gonna be so it's not like keeping him around is gonna be helping them any. They drafted Calvin Ridley last year so they could possibly already have their Julio replacement. Julio is gonna be 30 when next year starts and AJ Green is gonna be 31 and in the last year of his deal so either one could get traded for a discount. I don't see the Falcons or Bengals signing them to long term deals and no one is gonna give up a first or second round pick for aging receivers and that's why I believe we could get either one for a 3rd and 4th round pick this this offseason

Edited by Buffalo03

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Neither are free agents sooooo...

20 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I can't give you the last 10,but 2 of them had The Beast who was drafted in the first round and was a HUGE factor in his team,'s success.  

Sure, Lynch was great during the season but the percent of stud RBs even making the SB isnt good.

And what does the draft pick have anything to do with this conversation? lol

3 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

Amazing mobility and strength for a center... it has been his plays like this over the year that has his draft stock rising. He still needs some work on pass pro, and I still like the idea of a veteran center calling out protections, but Tyler has the tools to become a very good NFL center.

Biadasz Center pulling and snowplowing 2 Michigan defenders

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

Amazing mobility and strength for a center... it has been his plays like this over the year that has his draft stock rising. He still needs some work on pass pro, and I still like the idea of a veteran center calling out protections, but Tyler has the tools to become a very good NFL center.

Biadasz Center pulling and snowplowing 2 Michigan defenders

I still hope we take him with our first. He's gunna be darty for years.

We wouldn't need to chase a C in fa and could focus on Rg\Rt

The way his teammate's talk about him I can see he and Teller growing together with Biadasz bringing Tellers game along.

Keep Bodine and give Baddasz snaps whenever possible. 

By the end of the year I think he would own the job.

Plus, watching the TBD world burn when we take him in the first Rnd would be hilarious ?

Edited by Ned Kelly
Content

7 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

I still hope we take him with our first. He's gunna be darty for years.

We wouldn't need to chase a C in fa and could focus on Rg\Rt

The way his teammate's talk about him I can see he and Teller growing together with Biadasz bringing Tellers game along.

Keep Bodine and give Baddasz snaps whenever possible. 

By the end of the year I think he would own the job.

Plus, watching the TBD world burn when we take him in the first Rnd would be hilarious ?

There would be some serious burn - folks already have their hearts set on the top wide out or corner or linebacker. And they all have their reasons, I am just old school when it comes to giving any new QB a chance to succeed in this league and I have seen too many good prospects beaten to a pulp and concussed to the point of being ruined. You build from the inside --> out.

Invest in and install a good o-line in front of your QB, establish a running game (does not mean you have to back up the Brinks truck to pay for a FA running back who has had success behind some other team's good o-line), find a TE who can actually block and catch, and after you feel you have addressed those then yeah, get some weapons your QB can throw to....because he will have the time and more opportunities (safeties having to respect play-action) to deliver the ball to them.

With cap space and decent drafting all the above can be addressed, does not have to be phases done over years so folks can relax a bit about the order of things being addressed as long as they nail each.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

There would be some serious burn - folks already have their hearts set on the top wide out or corner or linebacker. And they all have their reasons, I am just old school when it comes to giving any new QB a chance to succeed in this league and I have seen too many good prospects beaten to a pulp and concussed to the point of being ruined. You build from the inside --> out.

Invest in and install a good o-line in front of your QB, establish a running game (does not mean you have to back up the Brinks truck to pay for a FA running back who has had success behind some other team's good o-line), find a TE who can actually block and catch, and after you feel you have addressed those then yeah, get some weapons your QB can throw to....because he will have the time and more opportunities (safeties having to respect play-action) to deliver the ball to them.

With cap space and decent drafting all the above can be addressed, does not have to be phases done over years so folks can relax a bit about the order of things being addressed as long as they nail each.

There are some pretty good free agent ones this year as well.......

More then one way to skin a cat which is good for us because some players are going to sign elsewhere or get drafted by other teams

• Like (+1) 2