Revisiting the draft

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think we hit a grand slam with Josh and a solid double with Trumaine..cause man Leland Vander Esch is friggin lights out..so we did really good but man no 55 in Dallas has all-pro written all over him 

I really wanted Esch, kid was a freak. Edmunds is too but i will give him a triple.

The last 2 drafts under McDermott's watch have been pretty decent one with Beane and one with Whaley. I certainly have no issue with their ability to recognise young talent.

The '17 draft wasn't as good but '18 is looking good into the latter rounds.

Edited by downunderbill
  • Like (+1) 1

Hi.  I watched one Cowboys game where the announcers, one of which is a former Cowboy himself, were gushing over some rookie LB.  Now I'm convinced he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and a sure fire Hall of Famer.  That is all.

Edited by Mark80
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think we hit a grand slam with Josh and a solid double with Trumaine..cause man Leland Vander Esch is friggin lights out..so we did really good but man no 55 in Dallas has all-pro written all over him 

I think they will both be all pro. I was a huge LVE fan before the draft. He does have some injury concerns, so Edmunds may be the better pick in the long run.

57 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Edmunds is like 20 or 21.  Patience doesn't exist does it.  

I’m really excited to see his development next year, especially since it seems we finally have a staff capable of developing players. Edmunds is not as good as LVE right now, but he is playing great and I think he has a chance to be better than him in the future. They are both great players, would not be surprised if they reach the Ray Lewis/Urlacher category.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

VanderEsche is 22 years old...Edmunds is only 20 still.  Wait til you see what Edmunds has become at 22.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Lamar Jackson is 2-0.

LVE just single handedly beat the Saints.  

We didn’t have to trade up 

?

And we could have drafted Tom Brady at least 5 times and Gronk and Watt and OBJ and Antonio Brown multiple time and on and on and on.  20/20 in hindsight and all.

Edited by Mark80

4 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

And we could have drafted Tom Brady at least 5 times and Gronk and Watt and OBJ and Antonio Brown multiple time and on and on and on.  20/20 in hindsight and all.

Sorry I should’ve “inserted sarcasm”.  I love our draft

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Lamar Jackson is 2-0.

LVE just single handedly beat the Saints.  

We didn’t have to trade up 

?

Every draft has imperfections, some by bad decisions (Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo both of which all of us at TSW called ahead of time), some just by players outperforming what could have reasonably be expected from them on draft day. I'm pleased with the Allen and Edmund picks and excited to watch them develop into stars over the next few years.  There is no draft where there aren't things to change with hindsight, and even without dipping onto Brady (who the PATRIOTS passed on six times!).

Getting good players as often as you can, accepting a bust when it happens, and getting lucky once in a while is what you hope for.  These both seem like good players.  Tough to look back at passing on Mahomes right now, but the draft is an inexact science, I think somewhat because it can never be that accurate, but also because it is an informational inefficiency that teams do not execute very well and a smarter team can do better (but never perfect).

I'm hoping we select a star player at #17 next June because wins are more valuable than draft slots unless you are trying to get your franchise QB.

This is not directed at the OP but in general

There are ALWAYS going to be players that turn out good from the draft that did not get taken by our team......

Do we sit and lament at not getting those players if the bills actually did draft for the position and got a good player?

I look at Allen and Edmunds......to me these both look like good picks....are there other players drafted at their position that are playing better then them right now?   Yes......but the draft is not just about the rookie year...you take those players because they are going to be with your team for what...the next 5 years?   They are also drafted for their ability to get  BETTER...and both of them definately fall into this category.

Stop crying over other teams shiny toys.....the bills are accumulating shiny toys of their own.