Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't drink my good sir haha.  You do realize that this offseason will be another big roster turnover.  Everyone complained about Zay Jones and he looks like a competent number 2 receiver now.  Give it time my friend.  Players are developing.  That's what this entire season was about to begin with.

When and where has a complete tear down and subsequent rebuild ever worked in the NFL? 

I'll wait! 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

I was really hoping for Lynn but I think McDermott has done a solid job so far too, the QB debacle notwithstanding.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

When and where has a complete tear down and subsequent rebuild ever worked in the NFL? 

I'll wait! 

It happens all the time haha what are you talking about?  Rams say hi lol.  You need a foundation of good young players on rookie contracts so the success will last longer.  Seattle did a nice job with their rebuild a few years ago drafting a lot of great talent.  Now they need to reboot the team but the rebuild they did was really solid.  You need to be encouraged by the recent draft success.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

It happens all the time haha what are you talking about?  Rams say hi lol.  You need a foundation of good young players on rookie contracts so the success will last longer.  Seattle did a nice job with their rebuild a few years ago drafting a lot of great talent.  Now they need to reboot the team but the rebuild they did was really solid.  You need to be encouraged by the recent draft success.

When did the Rams or Seahawks gut their whole roster to the unneeded extent the Bills did?

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

It's tough to make this argument since the program with the most consistency and longevity, by far, in history is run by Bill Belichick.

More importantly, than the background of the head coach, is getting the right coordinators installed, especially on the other side of the ball from your own specialty.

Agreed- On top top of that - next longest longevity are Harbaugh (special teams), Lewis, Carroll, and Tomlin (defense), you have Payton and McCarthy on offense.

Seems to me you can get consistency and Super Bowls with eight side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Do you want Lynn running this rebuild?

Breaking in a new qb, building the defense getting the cap situation fixed?

I like Lynn and I think he's a good coach but I don't think he had a plan on t he future.

If we hired Reich  we would be accused of "try to turn the clock back" or "living in the past" or "trying to sell tickets" etc- that was a move that would not have won with fans

likewise what's he rookie qb plan>?

plug in Rivers plug in Luck your off to a good start

30 minutes ago, pop gun said:

When did the Rams or Seahawks gut their whole roster to the unneeded extent the Bills did?

Go look at Seattle’s roster movement when Carroll took over more changes than Buffalo by far.

The Rams have changed well over 50% of the roster over the last 2 years.  All new WRs, O-line, D-line, secondary.  

The difference with the Rams was they had no big contracts - they had guys like Gurly and Donald coming up, but they did not have the resigned players.  Therefore they could begin acquiring talent without eliminating contracts.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, vorpma said:

Having Rivers sure doesn't hurt, but I'm sure his coaching style also a factor!

He also had a complete roster. They have talent littered all over that roster. McBeane had to gut this team so I think the comparison is a little unfair til next year , given our dead money situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Chargers do not have a win over a winning team. Couple of wins over .500 teams

Not saying they are not good, just need to see them beat someone of consequence before I declare them good or bad

I believe they play the Steelers next week. Huge playoff implications. 

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

The only thing I think is relevant outside of having Rivers is the fact the Lynn is an offensive coach and McDermott is a defensive coach. 

As debated to exhaustion, most believe you need to have an offensive minded coach to succeed in today’s NFL

I think a Defensive minded Head Coach can succeed in today's NFL but he has to really be a Head Coach! The minute McDermott took over play calling for Frazier even if it was temporary, He let everyone know he was a Defensive Coordinator playing Head Coach. If you want the promotion from DC to HC and are fortunate enough to get that opportunity, then do the job of HC. Be the administrator of your coaches. Hire the coordinators to implement your scheme and your vision and let them do the job you hired them to do. Never do their job for them. If they can't or won't do the job to your liking, fire them and get someone who will.

3 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I think a Defensive minded Head Coach can succeed in today's NFL but he has to really be a Head Coach! The minute McDermott took over play calling for Frazier even if it was temporary, He let everyone know he was a Defensive Coordinator playing Head Coach. If you want the promotion from DC to HC and are fortunate enough to get that opportunity, then do the job of HC. Be the administrator of your coaches. Hire the coordinators to implement your scheme and your vision and let them do the job you hired them to do. Never do their job for them. If they can't or won't do the job to your liking, fire them and get someone who will.

He took play calling for one half. Frazier has been calling the defense since. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:
5 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

He took play calling for one half. Frazier has been calling the defense since.

Yes I know. That's why I said he did it temporarily. Regardless, he did it right? So he showed he is a Defensive Coordinator playing Head Coach.

Edited by RobH063
  • Haha (+1) 1