Are Elite Defenses on Brink of Extinction?

In an era where qb busts are down and offensive penalties are up have we seen the last of truly elite defenses.   Are the  2013 Seattle Seahawks the last  dominant game changing defense we will ever see in the NFL. The 69 Vikings, the 69 chiefs,  The 76 Steelers, the 85 Bears, the 86 giants, the 91 eagles, the 2000 ravens, the 2002 bucs, and 2013 Seahawks all were defenses that in their own right could win multiple games.  In the near future we will see slot receivers playing for twice as long and putting up twice the numbers , running backs rushing for 2000 yards a year will be common ground, qbs will be playing longer than punters, and the days of a dominant bone crushing defense that instills fear into the offensive opponent will be a distant memory . Hopefully we savored and truly appreciated the 13 Seahawks because the NFL has morphed into something new and that is a part of the game that Will never be seen again.

No.  But they are getting harder to build when advantage goes to offense more often than not.  Cant hit QB.  Cant touch WR.   Tight cap allows teams to build one or other.  Rarely both. 

Look at NBA.  That's what NFL will be in 1p years at this rate.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I think you need both good offense and defense to really complete in any sport.

I think now a-days its more you need a very good offence, and an average to above average defence for a chance to win.

Edited by billsfan11

In the future, an Elite D will be "partially" an accident.  I think the better D-units will be ones with 3-4 start players, maybe elite players.  They will be signed to longer term deals.  The rest of the D-unit will be filled in with whatever you can find. If in a given year (or 2 or 3 maybe) you get lucky with some of your street free agents and 2-4th round picks you fill in the rest of the D-unit with..then you have a chance for an Elite Defense.  It won't be long term though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

HAha wow you're totally right I forgot all about them . They are def most recent but theory still stands . Thanks bringbackorton 

How could it? There were two elite defenses in the last 5 years. To find one before 2013, you have to go back 11 years. The theory is better off being that elite defenses are appaearing more frequently now.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

How could it? There were two elite defenses in the last 5 years. To find one before 2013, you have to go back 11 years. The theory is better off being that elite defenses are appaearing more frequently now.

I would probably rate 85 Bears, 76 steelers, and 2000 ravens As a step above the 13 Seahawks and 15 Broncos , all still elite but maybe becoming less elite?  So you think that elite defenses are going to trend toward being more frequent in today's NFL? 

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

So here's my solution to balance things out. Almost every rule change in the past 30 years has benefited the offense. Add a 12th man to the defense. Extra player can't come within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage until the ball crosses that line. The idea being to give the defense a chance. Just off the top of my head here are things defense can no longer do

Head slap

Chuck anywhere before pass is in the air (must be within 5 yards of LOS now)

Defense can be called for baiting offense lineman to move...used to be defense could do anything, offense had to stay still.

My favorite, the clothesline tackle is no longer allowed 

No head first tackles

Only tackle between...what, knee and shoulder? not sure any more

Hitting defenseless receiver...okay, maybe that one was needed. But how the hell are you supposed to tell that the ball is past the receiver when you need to keep your head away from receiver and hit with your shoulder?

Only intentional grounding inside of pocket

A few ridiculous ones about not putting your weight on the person being tackled...

I'm sure I've missed plenty 

Defense has always seemed to adjust and bounce back.

As the league continually de-emphasized the running game........teams started spending less money on RB's and more money on CB's and pass rushers and coverage LB's and the young players that used to become RB's started becoming those defenders.......following the money........and that served to help defenses bounce back.

But these new rules are a double slam to defenses.........leading with the helmet has long been used to both intimidate the offense into mistakes(and cause injury) and also as a low-fatigue method of tackling.

How do they adjust to this?    It would seem that throwing more money at it......by paying defenders more so you can rotate in higher quality players to prevent fatigue.......would be counterproductive at this point.

I think the bottom line is that the league is determined to promote offense and it's pretty foolish to fight it.   

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Define elite