Peterman Poll

Kevin1778

Will Peterman play well Sunday?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Peterman Poll

• Supporter
    • Not a Big Fan
    • Just Get Rid of Him Already

He is a horror show but there is no use in getting rid of him now. None.

The worst case scenario is that he tosses another 25 or so picks and we finish with a top 5 draft pick.

The best case scenario is that he turns things around and wins a few games.

Which would you prefer?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't hate him, certainly don't respect him for taking a job away from someone much better. 

Want him to do well, but 1,000 quarterbacks in the world deserve the opportunity he has more, and that's not that's not his fault. Well, it probably is. He's not practicing the way he plays, and gaming the scrimmages so that dumb McDermott who doesn't know a lick of offense thinks he's got something he's not showing in the game. He's probably just throwing the kinds of passes DBs don't give a **** about because they want a smart NFL throw to defend, not some weird quick outside seam route the LBs would cut off normally if they weren't practicing for Rodgers or Brady on Sunday.

Saw it preseason, and the opposing coaches and DBs didn't give a crap, they were thinking "wow good luck to him with that in the NFL, he's not giving us a proper exhibition to defend against, sure fooled us."

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Thought this kid had some potential after the snow game. But unfortunately a pitcher who throws 85 will not make it in the bigs. If you can't make the 10 yard out, you cannot play with the big boys. I wouldn't even waste putting him on the PS. This Sunday will be his final hurrah. 

Tell that to RA Dickey,Tim Wakefield,Phil Niekro,Charlie Hough and all the other knuckle ballers.

I agree the out pass is his Achilles heel.

When your a West Coast QB you need to throw screens and slants and some seam routes.

Its up to Dabol to make the scheme fit the QB,

Frank Reich was drafted in 1985 and did not start his first game until 1989.  I see analogous talent level and personality traits.  Unfortunately for him, he has been much too exposed to the NFL at much too early of a time in his development.  He needs to step it up from practice speed to game speed and he needs to do it A.S.A.P.  Good luck.

• Haha (+1) 1

I feel the Bills have seen everything they are going to see from him.  

I get the impression he wows in film study, knows the plays and gets it from a football intellectual point of view.  He might be an excellent coach someday, who knows. 

However, you see what happens on the field and that's what matters.  

I am flummoxed by McDermott's thought process at QB.  I'm ok with Allen.  I get why Anderson is here.  I don't understand why they had to trade McCarron, why Matt Barkley is here and why Nate Peterman wasn't released after the Chargers game.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Curious where he stands on this board. Made a little revision to the choices after listening to replies. 

I didn't vote because Peterman shouldn't have been on the team last year, and he should have been cut before the season started unless the Bills intended to keep 3 QBs.  At best, Peterman is a third QB or PS player.    My guess is that Peterman will score as many points for the Bears as he does for the Bills if he's lucky and Bears DBs can't catch.

14 hours ago, Bob&Doug said:

Everyone knows the ouside throw is his achilles heel....Coaches have no business calling that play, but at some point they will.

Then they will looked shocked after another pick 6.  Our QB woes have a lot to do with stubborn coaches Imo.

why would you throw at kb 2 times in a row?....kinda like they caught watt out wide and ran a few yards. they went right back to that and got stuffed the next 2 plays.

14 hours ago, msw2112 said:

He's a young QB with the potential to be a serviceable NFL backup.  Likely not starter material.  The coaching staff has put him into situations where it would be very difficult for him (or any young, inexperienced QB) to succeed and, predictably, he has not succeeded.  The majority of his NFL snaps have come in road games against top defenses (Chargers last year, Jags last year, Ravens this year, Texans this year).  In the one home game he started (Colts, last year, in the snow), he did some good things that helped us win the game.  He's even completed a few good passes in his miserable road games (the one at the Chargers on which Benjamin got hurt and the TD against the Texans).  I hope he bounces back and has a good game on Sunday.  And if he doesn't and is ultimately released, I won't lose any sleep and I will wish him well.

A QB who can't make outside throws does not have the potential to be a "serviceable NFL backup".

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

This team has paraded onto the field far worse horror shows since 1973

Not in this century it hasn't, not even during the Jauron years.  I'm not sure that the QB situation was this dire even back in the 1970s and early 1980s as the Bills had Joe Ferguson as their starting QB for most of that period.  Ferguson was a pretty decent QB for most of his career despite playing frequently with crap around him.  That kinda leaves a small window in the 1980s between Ferguson and Kelly.

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He sucks.

That's a simple fact.

I don't hate him, though.

I'm legitimately rooting for the kid to get better, especially now that he has to start a week or 2.

What terrifies me is the prospect of us winning a game or 2 before the bye with Peterman before the bye--which would be ideal--and then Josh Allen being healthy enough to play but McDermott sticking with Peterman because of a couple wins.

Once Allen is healthy.  He should start.  It doesn't remotely matter how Peterman plays the next two weeks because whatever he does, he's bound to implode.  But McDermott's love for the kid is frightening because I could see him being blinded by a snapshot of success.

I don't think that's a serious fear.  I can't see Peterman NOT throwing at least one pick six against the Bears.   He can't throw outs, and the Bills OC can't stop calling them.  Ergo, a pick six is inevitable unless the defenders can't catch.

Edited by SoTier

10 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

Peterman is making me question my loyalty to this team. 

I thought i was was a hardcore fan, 23 year season ticket holder, I watch every snap every week. 

However, I just can’t seem to get on board with the position we are in. I just don’t identify to this loser mentality and accepting failure. 

It is against everything I believe in, I strive everyday to be my best. 

The team to just roll over and quit is against what I believe in and I’m finding it difficult to relate. 

If Peterman starts, I will have no choice but to distance myself and my money from this team. They are just morally wrong. 

I hoping that Anderson practices Friday and Allen is back after the bye

so you're hoping for the return of a 35 yr.old gimp whose name will be forgotten by xmas....who has mustered 6 points(3pts. thanks to field positioning from return?).

4 picks including a game losing pick 6 and 2 fumbles.  that's what you'd rather see instead of giving a young, talented kid one more chance to prove himself?

what a waste of time to lament. he's all we got this week and he's gonna play. he has every bit of a chance to get a win(if not more) than anderson. so what exactly do we have so far?....

allen  2 pass tds and 1 int.?  in 4 games

anderson  0 pass tds  4 int.  in 2 games

nate  1 pass 1int. in   2 qtrs.

i omitted the balt. game for both allen and nate because it was a monsoon,  the defense was at midseason form and we had absolutely no plan for that game.

43 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I feel the Bills have seen everything they are going to see from him.  

I get the impression he wows in film study, knows the plays and gets it from a football intellectual point of view.  He might be an excellent coach someday, who knows. 

However, you see what happens on the field and that's what matters.  

I am flummoxed by McDermott's thought process at QB.  I'm ok with Allen.  I get why Anderson is here.  I don't understand why they had to trade McCarron, why Matt Barkley is here and why Nate Peterman wasn't released after the Chargers game.  

MAYBE he sees and makes the right reads.. but he is godawfully, just monumentally (like I can't find the most accurate negative hyperbole wording) stupid in his decision making.. like zero football IQ.

Who throws it to your read, EVEN IF YOU'RE RIGHT, when you can't even see past a giant Joey Bosa who's about to crush you just before you complete the follow-through motion to ensure accuracy, and did I mention he can't even see the damn player by that point of his follow through. That is monumentally stupid. You do a full swing in tennis in golf even after connecting with the ball to maintain the contact directing the ball for  as long as possible for accuracy. So when you can't even see where the spot you are aiming at as it always slightly moves AS your throwing motion is supposed to adjust to your changing targeted spot during the time it takes OR finish your follow through.. you throw one of the worst picks I've ever seen.

I can see why some picks are just thrown straight to a DB with no WR around.. a miscommunication or failure of chemistry happens there. Still a horrible pick, but what I described above is simply a quarterback forgetting to take his brain with him on the field. But enough bashing:

I like your point. I discussed game speed and decision making therein. But when it slows down, maybe he sees all the right things but just has no in-game quarterbacking awareness, arm strength, or proper read progression (There's got to be a reason Peterman is still on the roster other than utter incompetence on the coaches). And film room is truly the one thing we have absolutely no insight on. That said Peterman wowing Daboll, Beane, and McDermott could mean a hill of beans given their collective brain power on offense.

It would be interesting if what you say is the case and his career trajectory turns into coaching.. like we're looking at a young Jim Harbaugh or Doug Pederson. For as much as I loathe seeing him on the field, him having success at the later stage of his potential football career would be something I'd love to see happen.. and more importantly would keep my screen name on point lol.

Peterman has no business being on the field. i want him as far away from the bills as possible. the fact that he has been in position twice now to come in, in relief, due to injuries is inexcusable.

with all that being said i always root for any bill to do well..... but i'm torn here because the staff has already shown some sort of inexplicable loyalty to this awful qb. I'm extremely worried that if he somehow pulls a four leaf clover out of his *** and has a solid showing they will feel justified in keeping him and keep rolling him out there. that's TERRIFYING.

The only reason that Peterman is still on the team is because he is a nice guy, clean character and a Christian.  McD obviously still believes that he and Beane assessed Peterman properly last year and this preseason. They probably are dumbfounded by Peterman's lack of success when all the signs (to them at least) point to him being a good NFL player.  They also probably feel that they owe it to him to give him yet another chance.  McD probably blames himself for Peterman's shortcomings and feels its just a matter of time for Peterman to light it up out there.  These feelings of course have no basis in reality and are killing the Bills chances at success. They also make McD and Beane look like complete fools, totally out of their depth at evaluation of talent and decision making. Sad fact is that you have to be ruthless in this league as a manager and having irrational sentiments about players because of faith or how nice they are is a recipe for disaster.

To make matters worse they have exacerbated the problem with Peterman and the Josh Allen injury by bringing in only equally bad or worse alternatives to Peterman like Anderson and potentially Barkley because once again they have used the character criteria for evaluation. Why on earth bring Anderson here? He was old, washed up and was in no way going to be a mentor to Allen or Peterman. Now they bring in Barkley who has shown next to nothing in his NFL career to prove he can be a starting QB let alone a backup. A bunch of us got laughed at because we suggested bringing in Chad Kelly here. Who despite his character issues has at least not proven he is failure like Peterman, Anderson and Barkley have.  There MAY be an upside to him perhaps  But because he aint a downhome Christian there is no chance that happens.

Edited by Livinginthepast
grammar errors

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I believe Peterman has a 1-0 record as a starter at home. Unfortunately he's playing the league's #1 defense this week. Maybe the 4th or 5th time is the charm for him.

battle of the top D's

flashback to 1974

Well this is his first home start in great weather so we will see what happens.  He is up against a great defense with a sucky OL so I dont expect much but I do expect him to do a lot better than most in the media are expecting.  If he doesn't then I have to agree with some that are saying cut him as soon as Barkley gets caught up.  What a fiasco.