Quarterback Coach

jahbonas

9 minutes ago, MPT said:

Yes. I just think it's a fallacy to assume he's a qualified QB coach because he was a mediocre WR coach under a good head coach. I'd much rather hire a QB coach who has proven he's good at being a QB coach or at least has some innovative potential. Not a guy who's been treading water in a different job. 

I think he’s a good coach because I have friends who played and coach in the NFL and they say he is a great coach

I don’t disagree that the Bills could’ve went with a fresher approach but I think he’s a more qualified QB coach than Hackett who was the OC and QB coach with Marrone and that was a fresh approach that wasn’t great

The problem with our offense is McDermott.  He can't mentally handle todays football.  

There's no question in my mind he will try to ruin Allen.  You can see Allen clearly was told to play differently than how he started.   

We have 81 points for in 7 games and this idiot still thinks because of where we live we have to control the line of scrimmage.   He's a complete and total offensive moron.  

Let's stop blaming the QB coach and Daboll.  It's so clear who the culprit is for us having the worst offense in the entire league.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think he’s a good coach because I have friends who played and coach in the NFL and they say he is a great coach

I don’t disagree that the Bills could’ve went with a fresher approach but I think he’s a more qualified QB coach than Hackett who was the OC and QB coach with Marrone and that was a fresh approach that wasn’t great

I was not a big fan of either Marrone or Hackett. But in their situation Marrone was an offensive coach, with his own "system," that he and Hackett had both coached in together the previous year (or years) in Syracuse before they came to Buffalo. So you have two guys who are in sync coaching the offense. That is a LOT different than a defensive coach (McD) hiring two different OCs whom he had never worked with before and had never coached in their system, along with a WR coach doing the QB job he had never coached with either.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thermodynamics and Relativity and Atomic and Molecular and Optic are all various kinds of physics, and related to the study of physics, and authorities in one very likely know a lot about some, if not all, of the others.

But if I am trying to reach the highest levels in the Quantum Mechanics field that I possibly can, I want a Professor or Mentor or Authority of Quantum Mechanics teaching me Quantum Mechanics unless he or she is a world-renown wizard in all of Physics, which DFC (David Freakin' Culley) is not in football.  

I worked for a large company and they had a central training department made up of people who were good at teaching.  They would try to learn the subject material before teaching the class.  To me, that’s fine when you’re talking about general subjects like Ethics, Security, Safety but not when the classes are technical.

In many instances where a question was asked, they didn’t know the answer.  The really good instructors would try to find the answer say during a break in the class or ask for your email and get back to you. Others would just say “I don’t know”.

There were other instances where, for say a new version of a software package, some of us in the class knew more than the instructor.

So, having a teacher teach something that they are not subject experts on doesn’t always work.  Now, with football coaches, someone who has been coaching for 25 years should’ve picked up enough football to be able to coach/teach most positions.  It still depends on the person. Someone who thinks he’s a know-it-all may not be willing to consult someone who may know more than him.

I think coaching of QBs is specialized.  I’m not sure that someone who is a general football coach that never played the position can help a young QB as much as someone who has played the position.

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was not a big fan of either Marrone or Hackett. But in their situation Marrone was an offensive coach, with his own "system," that he and Hackett had both coached in together the previous year (or years) in Syracuse before they came to Buffalo. So you have two guys who are in sync coaching the offense. That is a LOT different than a defensive coach (McD) hiring two different OCs whom he had never worked with before and had never coached in their system, along with a WR coach doing the QB job he had never coached with either.

I agree that Hackett was Marrones protege and that makes it a different situation but

Culley was a D1 QB and just as qualified if not more so than Hackett to be a QB coach

People B word and complain for so many things... but this one is spot on.

A few big checks to Carlson Palmer to convince him to come for a few 2 week stints here & there would pay big dividends. Let's face it: McD's tenure rises or falls with Allen's success. You'd expect more urgency and awareness!

8 hours ago, jahbonas said:

With so much invested in Josh Allen (7th pick overall and spending a few #2's to get there)  why the following??

1- We had no veteran QB dedicated to mentor  - see Jets purposely signed  39yr old Josh Mccown for just that purpose to help their rookie.

2- We have a QB coach who has spent his entire NFL career as a Wide Receivers coach  - WTF!!???  With all Pegulas money we dont surround Josh Allen with these critical teachers? How does this fit into the process? - It shows absolute zero respect for the QB position by just throw a WR coach at it

Coach David CULLEY’S COACHING CAREER

NFL

Buffalo Bills                    2017 –         Quarterbacks coach

Kansas City Chiefs        2013-16    Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach

Philadelphia Eagles        2011-12    Senior offensive assistant/wide receivers coach

Philadelphia Eagles        1999-10    Wide receivers coach

Pittsburgh Steelers        1996-98    Wide receivers coach

Tampa Bay Buccaneers        1994-95    Wide receivers coach

Finally!!!! THANK YOU!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 7:11 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Its absolutely ridiculous you keep comparing back to marrone.  Marrone era was under Ralph Wilson who would not pay for top coaching staffs  - this is a new era under Pegila where he will properly pay for the coaches requested  !  - also under Marrone we were not grooming a QB we spent the 7th pick overall on plus gave up Cordy Glenn & two #2's to obtain .

Edited by jahbonas

I actually think there is a chance they re-assign Culley next year and hire Rob Chudzinski to work directly with Josh Allen. Maybe as an assistant head coach who just works with Josh. We never heard anything about Chudzinski being fired in Indy but he obviously doesn't work there anymore. I'm guessing he was asked to sit out a year and collect his paycheck. 

On 10/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, H2o said:

Why not hire Palmer? Allen seemed to making good progress when exclusively working with him. You could see a major difference between his season last year and what he did at the Senior Bowl. 

Probably because Palmer has his own business where he dedicates his time and energy to more than one person. I’m sure if he wanted to go through the grind of being a QB coach in the NFL that’s what he’d be doing. I’m sure his current situation is much easier though.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 3:39 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

It doesn't show disrespect for the quarterback position; it shows ignorance and poor judgement.  The latter is exemplified by the trade of McCarron prior to determining if Peterman was no longer prone to throw interceptions in regular season games.  Allen should never have been put in the position he was in.  In fact, he might still be healthy if better judgement had been used.

they should have forced ajm to honor his contract.  he was supposed to take the starting job and when he didn't and was told he's most likely the number 3, he wanted out.

that's understandable but not to the point of stupidity in trading him before game one was even played. they could have stalled on the trade. he could have went in game one and our record could be very different.  that was a huge mcstake.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:59 PM, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Would you rather be coached by a Football Coach, or Someone who has actually been in that situation? Played the position etc. 

I think the OP is spot on. Nothing against Culley, But Josh does need to be surrounded by more than Culley.

So where’s the list of QBs Culley has developed? Developing a rookie QB takes much more than you’re giving credit for. This team I too felt dropped the ball quite a bit in that area.

I would have loved a Ken Dorsey type and Derek should have been picked up the day after AJ was traded.

AVP? 

Edited by billsredneck1

50 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Probably because Palmer has his own business where he dedicates his time and energy to more than one person. I’m sure if he wanted to go through the grind of being a QB coach in the NFL that’s what he’d be doing. I’m sure his current situation is much easier though.

money talks and turning allen into an all pro would have cemented his brand.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You know who the QB coach is for the Chiefs?  Mike Kafka.  His career.  He played four games total in the league.  

Coaches can be effective even with limited experience at a specific position.

...ditto for Jordan Palmer.....five game career yet a highly touted coach/teacher............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy